Rabbi David Schudrich, 61, director of the Jewish Chaplaincy Services of the United Jewish Appeal Federation of Washington, died Dec. 13 of cancer at his home in Silver Spring.

A resident of this area for 12 years, he directed two full-time rabbis and 10 part-time rabbis in religious services and counseling for residents of jails, hospitals, nursing homes and other institutions. The chaplaincy program, begun in 1973, serves 35 hospitals, 75 nursing homes, six prisons and several psychiatric institutions.

Rabbi Schudrich was also a consultant to the Whitman-Walker Clinic, and counseled AIDS patients. He was rabbinical adviser to the Jewish Hospice, helped indigent and immigrant Jews and was called on for crisis intervention by local authorities.

In his nearly seven years as director of the program, Rabbi Schudrich developed ways to bring religious observation to non-affiliated Jews living in institutions, and he counseled patients himself. He trained other rabbis how to deal with seriously ill patients and their families.

Rabbi Schudrich, who was a native of New York City, attended Yeshiva University and the Jewish Theological Seminary of America. He served as a chaplain in the Air Force for two years in Anchorage.

From 1957 to 1978, he served at synagogues in Woodbury, N.J., New Orleans and Patchogue, N.Y. After moving to this area, he served at a synagogue in Manassas before joining the chaplaincy services.

He was a founder of the National Association of Jewish Chaplains.

Survivors include his wife, Doris Schudrich of Silver Spring; three sons, Rabbi Michael Joseph Schudrich of New York and Nathanial Seth Schudrich and Alexander Jeffrey Schudrich, both of Silver Spring; a daughter, Brynna Joy Schudrich of New York; a sister, Sylvia Pfeffer of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.



Helen Nadine Story Denton, 70, a partner in the certified public accountancy firm of Dean, Denton & Associates, died Dec. 16 of complications from multiple myeloma at Fairfax General Hospital. She was a resident of Annandale and had lived permanently in this area since 1967.

An accountant since the early 1940s, Mrs. Denton had a business degree from the University of Omaha and a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University. She was a native of Fleming County, Ky.

She had worked for firms here and across the country as she accompanied her husband, retired Air Force Lt. Col. Irving L. Denton, on assignments. They also lived in Guam and Morocco.

Mrs. Denton was a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the American Society of Certified Public Accountants, American Womens Society of Certified Public Accountants and the American Society of Women Accountants as well as the chambers of commerce of Annandale, Central Fairfax and Fairfax County. She also belonged to the First Christian Church of Falls Church, Zonta, the Annandale Business and Professional Women and the Bolling Air Force Base Officers' Wives Club.

In addition to her husband, of Annandale, survivors include a daughter, D'Ann Henderson of Annandale; her mother, Mary Eva Story of Flemingburg, Ky.; three sisters, Alleda Roberts of Maysville, Ky., Luana Perkins of Hillsboro, Ky., and Anna Belle McRoberts, of Flemingburg; a brother, Oakie Story of Marion, Ind.; and two grandsons.


Piano Teacher and Singer

Janis Owens Jones, 67, a former piano teacher and singer with the Cathedral Choral Society, died Dec. 10 of pneumonia at the Scripps Clinic Hospital in La Jolla, Calif., where she was being treated for leukemia. She lived in Falls Church.

Mrs. Jones lived in Fairfax City from 1964 to 1970 while her husband, retired Army Maj. Gen. Lawrence M. Jones Jr., was assigned here. They moved back to this area permanently in 1980 after three years in Kaiserslautern, West Germany.

Mrs. Jones taught piano here in the 1960s, and from 1980 to 1984 sang with the choral society of the Washington Catheral.

She was born in Nebraska City, Neb., and grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She graduated from Coe College in 1944. She joined the American Red Cross in 1945 and worked as a club director in Japan for several years.

After her marriage in 1948, she accompanied her husband on assignments in this country and in West Germany.

She was a member of Saint David's Episcopal Church in Washington.

In addition to her husband, of Falls Church, survivors include two sons, Douglas Owens Jones of Austin, Tex., and Stephen Anderson Jones of Mesa, Ariz.; a sister, Roberta Owens Riley of Kansas City, Mo.; and two grandsons.


Private Investigator

Peter Joseph Paul, 51, a Cheverly private investigator who had been a special agent with the FBI from 1966 to 1981, died Dec. 17 at the Prince George's Hospital Center after a heart attack.

After joining the FBI, he spent a year in Milwaukee before transferring to the Washington Field Office in 1967. He participated in the FBI investigation of the Watergate break-in. He had been a private investigator since 1981.

Mr. Paul, who lived in Cheverly, was a native of Webster, Mass., and a graduate of Pennsylvania State University. He served in the Marine Corps from the late 1950s to the mid-1960s, becoming a captain.

He was head lacrosse coach at St. John's College High School from 1978 to 1986. He also was a coach and board member of the Cheverly Boys and Girls Club from 1970 to 1988. He was a past vice commander of Cheverly American Legion Post No. 108.

Survivors include his wife, the former Louise Houston, and three sons, Stephen Joseph, Patrick Charles and Peter Houston Paul, all of Cheverly; his mother, Sophie Paul of Webster; and two grandsons.


Lease Specialist

James Francis Murnane, 29, a lease management specialist with the Western Development Corp., a property management firm in Washington, died Dec. 17 at his parents' home in Reston. He had AIDS.

Mr. Murnane, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Bangkok, where his father was stationed as a Foreign Service officer in the State Department. He grew up in McLean and graduated from McLean High School. He also graduated from Virginia Tech, where he majored in urban planning and marketing.

After graduating from college in 1983, Mr. Murnane went to work for ROH Inc. in Arlington, a consulting firm. A computer programmer, he was assigned to work on budget problems for the Navy Department. He joined the Western Development Corp. about four years ago.

Survivors include his parents, Jack and Frances Murnane of Reston; three sisters, Marie Miller of Herndon, Margaret Murnane of Mill Valley, Calif., and Ellen Murnane of Staunton, Va.; and two brothers, John J. Murnane of Arcola, Va., and Patrick M. Murnane of Falls Church.


DAR, Church Member

Lucy Moore Pledger, 39, a Navy officer's wife who had accompanied her husband to assignments on the East and West coasts, died of cancer Dec. 17 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mrs. Pledger, who lived in Fairfax Station, was born in Hattiesburg, Miss., and graduated from the University of Mississippi. She had accompanied her husband, Navy Cmdr. James E. Pledger, to Navy bases in Jacksonville, Fla., Charleston, S.C., Norfolk, Newport, R.I., Bath, Maine, and Monterey, Calif. They lived in the Washington area from 1980 to 1983, and returned in 1985.

Mrs. Pledger was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and Fairfax Presbyterian Church. She had had breast cancer for the last six years and had participated in breast cancer support groups, Y Me and My Image.

In addition to her husband, of Fairfax Station, survivors include two sons, Ted and Lane Pledger, both of Fairfax Station; her father, Alfred Moore, a brother, H.A. Moore III, and a sister, Betty McKenzie, all of Hattiesburg.