James Carre Magee, 77, a retired colonel in the Marine Corps and a former two-term president of the Army & Navy Club in Washington, died of a heart attack Dec. 14 at Beebe Hospital in Lewes, Del.

Col. Magee, who lived in Washington and Rehoboth Beach, Del., was born into an Army family at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He grew up in Washington, attended the University of Pennsylvania and graduated from the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service.

In 1938, he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps. He became an aviator, and in the early part of World War II he was a pilot in the China-Burma-India theater.

Later in the war, he joined the 1st Marine Division in the South Pacific. He was an air liaison officer in the Peleliu campaign, directing air strikes against enemy positions. During the Okinawa campaign, he commanded the second battalion of the 1st Marine Regiment in the 1st Marine Division.

Col. Magee also commanded the battalion when it was sent to China immediately after the war.

Later assignments included various posts in the United States. During the Korean War, Col. Magee returned to the 1st Marine Division as its intelligence chief.

He was chief of staff of the Fleet Marine Force, Atlantic, at Norfolk when he retired in 1965.

Col. Magee's military decorations included two awards of the Legion of Merit with combat "V" and the Republic of China's Order of the Cloud and Banner.

In retirement, Col. Magee was vice president of the Armed Forces Benefit Association until 1979.

Besides serving two terms as president of the Army & Navy Club, he was a member of its board of directors. He also was a member of the Marine Corps Historical Association.

Survivors include his wife, the former Virginia Walton, whom he married in 1942, of Washington and Rehoboth Beach; and two children, Virginia Carre Magee and James Walton Magee, both of Washington.


Peace Corps Volunteer

Sharon Lynne Mullan, 52, an area resident since 1976 and a Peace Corps volunteer at a pediatric clinic in Ethiopia from 1974 to 1976, died of cancer Dec. 17 at her home in McLean.

Mrs. Mullan was a native of Sioux City, Iowa, and a 1961 graduate of the University of California at Berkeley. She was a medical technologist at the University of Southern California-Los Angeles County Medical Center in Los Angeles from 1961 to 1973.

Survivors include her husband, James, and two children, Jennifer and Christopher Mullan, all of McLean.


Area Resident Since 1986

Marguerite V.M. Darling, 90, an area resident since 1986 who had lived in Arlington and Fairfax before entering the Sleepy Hollow Manor nursing home in Annandale about five months ago, died at the nursing home Dec. 9 after a stroke.

Mrs. Darling was a native of Rochester, N.Y. She had lived in St. Petersburg, Fla., from about 1968 until moving here.

Her marriage to Thurston V. Darling ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Gregory, of Fairfax; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Area Resident Since 1970

Martha S. Granum, 60, an area resident since 1970 who had been a freelance writer, died Dec. 15 at Suburban Hospital as a result of injuries she received in an automobile accident that day.

A spokesman for the Montgomery County police said her car hit a taxi that had swerved in front of her on the East-West Highway from the opposite lane. Police said the accident is under investigation.

Mrs. Granum was a native of Beatrice, Neb., and a 1950 graduate of Mary Washington College. She taught in Norfolk in the mid-1960s.

She had served as president of the Montgomery County Stroke Club. She was a member of Bethesda Presbyterian Church.

Her marriage to Bradford S. Granum ended in divorce.

Survivors include three daughters, Caroline Sullivan of Bethesda, Marcy Garnett of Norfolk and Ann Granum of Virginia Beach; and two grandsons.


Lifelong Area Resident

Patricia Ann Swain, 49, a lifelong area resident who lived at the lockhouse at Swain's Lock on the C&O Canal, died of liver failure Dec. 16 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

Mrs. Swain was a native of Olney. She was a 1959 graduate of Richard Montgomery High School in Rockville.

Survivors include her husband, Fred, of Potomac; a daughter, Deborah Sheckels of Rockville; her parents, Calvin and Maybelle Whalen of Rockville; a sister, Judith Wilson of Sharpsburg, Md.; and three grandchildren.


Registered Nurse

Margaret J. "Sandy" Everett, 77, a registered nurse who worked in the medical offices of her husband for 48 years before she retired in 1987, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 8 at her home in Leisure World in Silver Spring.

A native of Pennsylvania, she came here in 1932. She graduated from the nursing program at the old Emergency Hospital here. She had worked in the offices of her husband, John E. Everett, in Washington and Kensington.

Mrs. Everett was a member of the Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church in Kensington, the Crippled Children Society of Washington and the Order of the Eastern Star.

Survivors include her husband, whom she married in 1939 and who lives in Leisure World; three children, Judith Everett Hutchins of Princeton, N.J., Richard Norman Everett of Potomac and John Byron Everett of Frederick, Md.; a brother, S. John Davis of Richmond; and six grandchildren.


Foreign Service Officer

Charles Trego Prindeville Jr., 61, an international trade consultant and retired Foreign Service officer, died Dec. 16 at Fairfax Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Prindeville began his State Department career in 1956, serving as a consular and commercial officer in several countries. He served in the Philippines in the 1950s and in Spain, Japan, Ecuador and Singapore in the 1960s.

From 1972, to 1974, he was stationed in London, where he was commercial attache' and administrator of the U.S. Trade Center. He spent two years in Panama, where he also was commercial attache', before retiring in 1980.

He was a member of the American Foreign Service Association and the International Trade Association for Northern Virginia.

Mr. Prindeville, an area resident since 1980 who lived in Vienna, was a native of Chicago. He was a graduate of DePauw University and studied at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service. He served with the Army in Korea during the Korean War.

Survivors include his wife, Dorita Behar Prindeville of Vienna; two sons, Philip Andrew, of Paris, and Charles III, of Vienna; a daughter, Diane Michele Prindeville of Albuquerque, N.M.; and two sisters, Susan Prindeville-Tingle of Herndon and Jane Marte-Prindeville of Potomac.



Jack Ray Alsip, 40, president of Procom, a Washington fund-raising organization he founded in 1984, died Dec. 7 at the Washington Home Hospice. He had AIDS.

Procom raises money for nonprofit professional and cultural groups. Mr. Alsip also had done writing and research work for those groups and had helped them organize special events. He did work for the Whitman-Walker Clinic.

Mr. Alsip, who lived in Washington, was a native of Anna, Ill. He received a bachelor's degree in political science at Northeastern University and a master's degree in political science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He came here in 1978 and worked for the MIT Energy Lab and the Georgetown Community Health Plan before joining Science magazine. He spent a year at Science, where he was an editorial and research assistant. From 1981 to 1984, he was a project director with the Towne Development Corp. here. In recent years, in addition to his fund-raising, he had been a litigation assistant for defense lawyers.

Survivors include his parents, Marion and Betty Lou Alsip of Anna.


Navy Aviation Officer

David A. Wente, 64, who commanded the Navy's largest helicopter air-sea rescue squadron during the Vietnam War, died Dec. 14 of a heart attack while vacationing at Massanutten, Va.

Cmdr. Wente, who retired from the Navy in 1973, accumulated more than 10,000 flight hours in a 30-year career that began at the end of World War II. At that time, as a naval engineering graduate of Brown University, he was assigned to Italy. Later, he flew helicopters in Korea, and he was assigned to posts in California from 1963 to 1968.

The 120-helicopter squadron he commanded during the Vietnam War was responsible for 52 sea rescues.

Cmdr. Wente was transferred to the Pentagon in 1968, and he moved permanently to Reston. At the Pentagon, he worked on operations planning, and in his last two years with the Navy, when he was assigned to the Naval Air Systems Command, he was in charge of helicopter procurement.

Since retiring, he operated a family business, The Suntan Shop.

He had a master's degree in business from George Washington University. Among his military decorations was the Navy Commendation Medal.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Helen H. Wente of Reston; two sons, David F. Wente of Stamford, Conn., and William G. Wente of Reston; two daughters, Karen W. Brutsche of Herndon and Sharon L. Wente of Reston; and five grandchildren.