Franklin W. Schneider, 77, the former owner and operator of Takoma Insulators Inc., died of Parkinson's disease Dec. 14 at the Colonial Villa Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Schneider, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Piqua, Ohio. He moved to the Washington area in 1933 and graduated from what is now Columbia Union College.

In 1940, he acquired Takoma Insulators, which specialized in construction insulation and roofing. He operated the business until 1984, when he sold the company and retired. In the early years of the business, Mr. Schneider also was assistant business manager for what is now Washington Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Schneider was a lay elder in the Takoma Park Seventh-day Adventist Church and a board member and chairman of the building committee of John Nevins Andrews Elementary School and Takoma Academy in Takoma Park. He also had served on the executive committee of the Potomac Conference of the Seventh-day Adventists.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Roberta K. Schneider of Silver Spring; three children, F. Karen Rochester and F. Carl Schneider, both of Silver Spring, and A. Gregory Schneider of Angwin, Calif.; and nine grandchildren.


Jeweler's Employee

Harriet Bernstein, 84, who was an accouting employee of Richmond Jewelers in Silver Spring from 1978 to 1988, died Dec. 18 at Holy Cross Hospital. She had emphysema.

Mrs. Bernstein, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of New York City. She came here about 1941.

Her husband, Hyman, died in 1962. Survivors include a son, Dr. Melvin Bernstein of Loch Arbour, N.J.; and three grandchildren.


Naval Aviation Instructor

Jack D. Dawson, 65, a retired commander in the Naval Reserve who was a safety flight instructor for much of his career, died of a stroke Dec. 14 at St. Luke's Hospital in Jacksonville, Fla.

He lived in Alexandria from 1964 to 1984, when he moved to St. Augustine, Fla. From 1967 to 1969, his last two years in the Navy, Cmdr. Dawson was public information officer for the Washington Naval District, based at the Washington Navy Yard.

In a Navy career that began when he was 17, Cmdr. Dawson instructed Navy Reserve fighter pilots in Nebraska, Florida, Tennessee and at Andrews Air Force Base, and he was stationed on several carriers.

He was a native of Harrisonburg, Va., and attended James Madison College and Georgetown University. He was on active duty with the Navy during World War II and the Korean War and was on active duty status for the remainder of his career.

After retiring from the service, he worked as a consultant for defense contractors and was director of the Washington USO for a year in the early 1970s. Before moving to Florida, he was a builders' sales agent at the Bryce Mountain community in Boyce, Va.

Survivors include his wife, Lucile Cummings Dawson of St. Augustine; two sons, Ron Eric Dawson of Alexandria and David Sean Dawson of Nokesville, Va.; a daughter, LuAnne Dawson of Springfield; a brother, James Alfred Dawson of Edinburg, Va.; a sister, Frances Horton of Boca Raton, Fla.; and three granddaughters.