William A. Michael, 65, who retired last year after 16 years as principal of Williamsburg Junior High School in Arlington, died of heart disease Dec. 18 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Michael, a resident of Fairfax since 1949, was a teacher and principal in Arlington for 40 years. He began in 1949 as a physical education teacher and varsity basketball coach at Thomas Jefferson Junior High School. He later served as assistant principal at Washington and Lee Senior High School and Kenmore Junior High School. He was assigned to Williamsburg in 1973.

A native of Keyser, W.Va., Mr. Michael served with the Army Air Forces as a sergeant during World War II. He attended Marshall College and graduated in 1949 from Springfield College.

Survivors include his wife, Mary D. Michael of Fairfax; three sons, Jeff, Keith and Randy Michael, all also of Fairfax; a daughter, Jennifer Egan of Herndon; two sisters, Wanda Ball and Peggy Michael, both of Santa Fe, N.M.; and three grandchildren.


Whitman-Walker Official

Larry W. Medley, 44, the director of the gay men's venereal disease clinic at the Whitman-Walker Clinic, died Dec. 15 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Medley was born in Wildwood, Ga. He moved to the Washington area in 1976 after having worked in the financial department of the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority.

In this area he worked for the World Bank, then in 1979 began doing volunteer work for the Whitman-Walker Clinic. In 1980 he became the clinic's first paid, full-time employee and in that capacity played a vital role in the development of the venereal disease clinic.

He had been on disability leave since August.

Survivors include his mother, Anne Medley; and a brother, Mack Medley, both of Trenton, Ga.


Civic Volunteer

Cecelia Aptaker, 78, a retired budget analyst in the federal government who was a active in civic affairs in Foggy Bottom, the Northwest Washington neighborhood where she lived, died of heart ailments Dec. 7 at George Washington University Hospital.

Miss Aptaker was born in Philadelphia. She moved here in 1938 and went to work for the Navy Department. In the 1960s, she transferred to Health, Education and Welfare. She retired in 1971. She graduated from George Washington University in 1946.

She was a member of the Foggy Bottom Association, the West End Citizens Association and Common Cause.

Survivors include a brother, Ed Aptaker of Huntingdon Valley, Pa.


Electronics Engineer

John W. Chambers Jr., 56, a retired electronics engineer with the Federal Communications Commission, died Dec. 15 of cardiopulmonary arrest at Doctors' Community Hospital in Lanham.

He retired from the FCC in 1987, after 26 years spent mostly on the agency's international staff. Assigned to the policy and rules division of the Mass Media Bureau, he made engineering calculations to determine whether other countries were honoring international broadcasting agreements not to interfere with U.S. broadcasting.

Mr. Chambers, who lived in Lanham, was born in Montgomery, Ala. He graduated from Auburn University in 1960 and worked on missile projects in Alabama, New Mexico and California before moving here in 1961.

He was an usher at the Word of Faith Victory Center in Hanover, Md., and was a member of the Tri-County Amateur Radio Club.

Survivors include his wife, Helen S. Chambers of Lanham; a brother, Charles B. Chambers of Birmingham; and a sister, Robyn C. Quail of Atlanta.


GAO Auditor

Eunice R. Walters, 77, a retired auditor at the General Accounting Office who had been active as a leader in the Girl Scouts, died of heart ailments Dec. 18 at Greater Southeast Community Hospital in Washington.

A resident of Temple Hills, Miss Walters was born in Roanoke. She grew up in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School.

In 1932, she went to work for the Library of Congress. In 1938, she transferred to the Census Bureau, and in 1942, she joined the GAO. She retired in 1972.

Miss Walters was a member of the Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church.

Survivors include her companion of 45 years, Lily K. Goff of Temple Hills; and a brother, Leonard M. Walters of Gloucester, Va.


Broadcast Engineer

Joseph Charles Dickens, 52, a broadcast engineer with George Washington University, died Dec. 11 at George Washington University Hospital as a result of injuries he received in an accident Nov. 20.

A D.C. police spokesman said Mr. Dickens was struck by a car while crossing 23rd Street NW, next to George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Dickens had worked for seven years as a maintenance engineer for GWU Television, the internal cable and satellite teleconference station of the university. He moved to Arlington seven years ago from Urbana, Ill., where he was a broadcast engineer for WILL-TV.

Mr. Dickens was a native of Tucumcari, N.M. For 13 years he served in the Air Force, where he became a staff sergeant and a nuclear weapons instructor at Chanute Air Force Base in Illinois. He was with WILL for about eight years.

He received bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Maryland.

His marriage to Yoshi Dickens ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Margaret Dickens of Arlington and Barbara Dickens of Los Angeles; a son, Michael Dickens of Urbana; and two brothers, John Dickens of Wortham, Tex., and Tom Dickens of Fort Worth.


Church Secretary

Margaret Royce Dalzell, 71, a retired secretary at Christ Church Georgetown in Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Dec. 13 at her home in Sarasota, Fla.

Mrs. Dalzell was born in Oakland and attended the University of California at Berkeley. During World War II she married Samuel Dalzell, a Navy aviator, and through the years she accompanied him to assignment stations in this country, including Washington.

From 1961 to 1968 she lived in San Diego, and from 1968 until she moved to Washington in the early 1970s she worked for the Army post exchange system in West Germany.

Mrs. Dalzell went to work at Christ Church Georgetown when she came here, and retired in 1984. She lived in Washington until moving to Sarasota in 1988.

Her marriage ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Bonnie Brooks Dalzell of Hydes, Md., and Samantha Royce Dalzell Blickenstaff of Boulder, Colo.; a sister, Happy Blickensdurfer of Mill Valley, Calif.; and a grandson.