Arthur Robinson Edwards, 90, retired president of Armco International Corp., the international subsidiary of Armco Steel Corp., died of cardiorespiratory arrest Dec. 19 at his home in Arlington.

He moved from Middletown, Ohio, to Arlington in 1965 after retiring from Armco International. He had worked for the steel corporation for 42 years and became president of its subsidiary for operations in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America in 1956.

Mr. Edwards was a native of Marysville, Ohio, and a graduate of Cornell University. He joined Armco as a management intern in the early 1920s, and then was sent to London. He returned to Middletown in 1940.

After he moved to this area, Mr. Edwards became president here of Books USA, a nonprofit enterprise devoted to improving U.S. relations abroad through the distribution of American classics in paperback. It was associated with the U.S. Information Agency and the Peace Corps.

He was on the board of directors of the National Foreign Trade Council and the Far East-American Council of Commerce and Industry, and was a member of the Washington Institute and the Council on Foreign Relations.

Mr. Edwards had also served as a trustee of Western College for Women in Oxford, Ohio, and was on the board of the International Society of Rehabilitation of the Disabled.

Survivors include his wife, Marjorie Hazard Edwards of Arlington; a daughter, Barbara E. Hicks of Rye, N.Y.; a son, Robert H. Edwards of Brunswick, Maine, and five grandchildren.



Simon Ralph Gouverneur, 56, a Washington painter who was an abstract symbolist, died Dec. 20 at his home in Washington. D.C. Police said death was caused by hanging and that it was a suicide.

Mr. Gouverneur was born in New York City. He studied art at the San Fernando Academy of Fine Arts in Madrid and the Rome Academy of Fine Arts and the Academy of San Marcos in Rome.

In the early 1970s he was a professor of the history and philosophy of art and of painting and drawing at Hampshire College in Amherst, Mass.

He came to Washington in 1980 after having done research on pre-Columbian art in South America.

Mr. Gouverneur was artist in residence at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences at Howard University from 1981 to 1983. Since then he had been artist in residence and adjunct professor at the Maryland Institute of Fine Arts in Baltimore.

His work had been exhibited in Washington at the Phillips Collection, Anton Gallery, Franz Bader Gallery, the Martin Luther King Jr. Library, Osuna Gallery and Howard University, and at art galleries in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Baltimore, Rome, Palermo, Italy, Paris, Caracas, Venezuela, Naples, Zagreb, Yugoslavia, Madrid and Cali, Colombia.

Survivors include his wife, Maria Gouverneur of Washington; and eight children by three previous marriages.


Sales Representative

Charles Wyman Lawrence, 61, a former sales representative for the Washington-based Commerce Clearing House Inc., died Dec. 2 at his home in Phuket, Thailand. The U.S. Consulate in Songkhla quoted Phuket police as saying he suffered a fractured skull in a fall at his bungalow.

Mr. Lawrence was born in Tampa and grew up in Minneapolis. He moved to the Washington area in the 1950s and served in the Marine Corps during the Korean War. He attended Sophia University in Japan and George Washington University.

In the early 1960s, he worked in the sales office of Varig Airlines in Washington and Pittsburgh, then from 1964 to 1981 was a sales representative for Commerce Clearing House, Inc., an information service for businesses on tax matters and other government policies.

Since 1981 he had lived in Mallorca, Spain and in Thailand.

His marriage to Ellen Shelby Lawrence ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Charles Gardner Lawrence of Centerville, Mass., and Suzanne Shelby Lawrence of Richmond, and a half-brother, George M. Lawrence of Madrid.


Annapolis Bookkeeper

Kathryn Ashley Zagami, 69, a 50-year resident of Washington and Annapolis and a former bookkeeper at the U.S. Naval Academy, died of renal failure and heart disease Dec. 19 at the Pleasant Living Convalescent Center in Edgewater, Md.

A former office manager of the Zagami Real Estate firm on Capitol Hill, she lived in Washington between 1940 and 1966, when she moved to Annapolis.

Mrs. Zagami was a native of Pittsfield, N.H., who worked at the Washington Navy Yard after moving here. She operated a grocery in Southeast Washington before helping establish the real estate company in 1947. She was office manager there for 20 years.

She then worked until 1985 at the E.M. Club at the Naval Academy, and for about a year as a bookkeeper at Rudd's Pest Control in Annapolis.

Mrs. Zagami's first marriage ended in divorce. Her second marriage, to Joseph Zagami Sr., also ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter from her first marriage, Molly Shumate of Hurt, Va., and two children from her second marriage, Kathryn Zagami Harless of Olney and Joseph Zagami Jr. of Silver Spring; three brothers, George M. Ashley III of Pittsfield, Mass., Keith Ashley of Chicopee, Mass., and Jack Ashley of East Dennis, Mass.; three sisters, Betty Ashland of Concord, N.H., Joyce Emerson of Hooksett, N.H., and Sylvia Oswald of Doraville, Ga.; four grandchildren and a great-grandchild.


Lifelong Area Resident

Mary L. Chalkley, 76, a lifelong area resident who was a Washington native and graduate of Eastern High School, died of pneumonia Dec. 14 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Her husband, Charles A. Chalkley, a former Washington Post executive, died in 1978.

Survivors include a son, Charles E. Chalkley, of Arlington; a daughter, Terri Akers of Nashville; and five grandchildren.


Insurance Agent

William W. Waller, 65, a retired insurance agent and financial adviser, died Dec. 11 at a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., of Guillain-Barre syndrome, a disorder of the nervous system that caused heart and lung dysfunction.

Mr. Waller was born in Washington. He attended Fork Union Military Academy and the University of Virginia.

During World War II he served in the Army Air Forces.

He was an insurance agent and financial adviser with Sun Life of Canada here until 1965, when he moved to Chatham Township, N.J., as a branch manager for the company.

In 1987, Mr. Waller retired from Sun Life and lived in Fairfax and Fort Lauderdale.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth King Waller of Fairfax; four children, Dr. Kenneth W. Waller of Richmond, Stephen J. Waller of North Hollywood, Calif., Christine A. Waller of Houston and Douglas G. Waller of Denville, N.J.; and three grandchildren.


Hill Aide and Journalist

Stephen V. Feeley, a former Washington correspondent and retired clerk of the House Public Works Committee, died of lung cancer Dec. 20 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He was 88.

A resident of Alexandria, Mr. Feeley had lived in this area since 1939. He came here from his native Buffalo to be correspondent for the Buffalo Courier-Express. He had worked for the paper since 1922, as a feature writer and columnist.

Mr. Feeley left the newspaper in 1946 to open his own news bureau here. He was correspondent for a number of radio stations and New York newspapers, including Newsday, until he closed the bureau in 1958.

From then until his retirement in 1972, he was clerk of the Public Works Committee.

Survivors include his wife, Rita Feeley of Alexandria; two sons, Sean Feeley of Columbia and Brendan Feeley of Arlington; and three grandchildren.


Art Teacher

Emily Nourse Steuart, 97, an art teacher at Western High School in Washington for 40 years, died of heart ailments Dec. 17 at her home in Washington.

Primarily a watercolor artist herself, Miss Steuart taught at Western until her retirement in 1955. She was a lifelong resident of Georgetown, a graduate of Western and attended Columbia University.

Miss Steuart belonged to the Arts Club of Washington, the Georgetown Garden Club and St. John's Episcopal Church in Georgetown. She served on the board of the Evermay Club and was a volunteer at Ede's House retirement home in Georgetown.

She is survived by a sister, Linda Steuart Rehm of Leesburg, Va.


Aerospace Executive

Thomas J. Houhoulis, 67, Washington manager for ITT Gilfillan and an early instructor of military pilots in ground control approach systems, died of a heart attack Dec. 19 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Houhoulis retired in 1987 after directing contracting operations here for the Los Angeles-based radar communications aerospace company for 16 years. The company supplies radar systems to the U.S. Navy. Mr. Houhoulis, a resident of Fairfax, had worked for Gilfillan and its successor corporation most of his 40-year career.

He moved here in 1962 after six years in Athens as a technical liaison officer to the Royal Hellenic Air Force for Gilfillan, a pioneer developer of ground control approach systems for airplanes.

Mr. Houhoulis, who had served in the Army Air Forces from 1944 to 1947 as a radio and radar operations and maintenance supervisor, was one of the first instructors of military fliers and air traffic controllers in the emerging ground control radar technology.

He was a field engineer for Gilfillan at Lajos Air Force Base in the Azores from 1952 to 1955 and in Iceland after his military service. He also worked briefly for Lockheed Aircraft in California in that period.

Mr. Houhoulis was a native of Boston and attended Boston University. He was a member of St. Catherine's Greek Orthodox Church in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife, Kristin Agustdottir Houhoulis of Fairfax; two daughters, Karin Cannaday of Vienna and Donna Lefever of Sterling; a son, James Houhoulis of Fairfax; a sister, Josephine Pappas of Quincy, Mass.; and three grandchildren.



Leatrice Arlette Hyman Marshall, 62, a retired State Department and Agency for International Development secretary, died Dec. 19 at Holy Cross Hospital of heart ailments and complications of multiple sclerosis.

Mrs. Marshall was a lifelong Washington resident. She graduated from Cardozo High School and attended Howard University.

She retired in 1972 after 25 years service at the State Department and AID.

She was a member of the Continental Society, a nonprofit charitable organization, and St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Washington.

Her marriage to Augustus Marshall ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Darryl F. Marshall of Silver Spring and Guy T. Marshall of Washington, and her stepfather and mother, William and Marguerite Butler, and a sister, Gilda M. Hyman, all also of Washington.


Air Force Colonel

Weston T. Smith, 55, a retired Air Force colonel who was a consultant in diplomatic security with the State Department, died of a stroke Dec. 20 at the Reston Hospital Center. He lived in Vienna.

Col. Smith was a 30-year veteran of the Air Force whose last assignment was with the State Department's Bureau of Politico-Military Affairs. He retired from the military in 1987.He had also served in the past decade as a plans and programs officer with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as a Defense Department representative to the Law of the Sea Delegation and as commander of Kunsan Air Base in South Korea.

Col. Smith was a native of Cleveland and a graduate of Ohio State University.

Earlier in his career he was a fighter pilot assigned to Libya and an assistant professor of aerospace studies assigned to the Reserve Officers Training Corps program at Bowling Green University.

He served during the Vietnam War as a forward air controller and air liaison officer, and flew more than 664 combat missions.

He was an Air Force representative and instructor at Fort Sill, Okla., a plans and programs officer at the Pentagon and commander of Indian Springs Air Force Base in Nevada in the 1970s.

Among his military decorations were the Air Force Cross, two awards of the Distinquished Flying Cross, the Bronze Star and 11 awards of the Air Medal.

Col. Smith is survived by his wife, Shirley May Nye Smith of Vienna; two sons, Brent and Brian Smith of Vienna; his father, Gordon E. Smith of Holiday, Fla.; three brothers, Bradley E. Smith of Ravenna, Mich., Gordon E. Smith of Spencer, Ohio, and Mark L. Smith of Elyria, Ohio.