George Britton Vogt, 70, a retired entomologist at the Department of Agriculture who was an authority on leaf beetles and longhorned beetles, died of heart ailments Dec. 12 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Vogt was born in Baltimore. He graduated from the University of Maryland, and he served in the Army in World War II.

He began his career at the Department of Agriculture in 1948. He worked at its Systematic Entomology Laboratory at the Smithsonian Institution, where he did research on beetles, until 1972. He then transferred to the department's Southern Weed Science Laboratory at Stoneville, Miss.

A resident of Washington since 1960, Mr. Vogt kept his residence here after moving to Mississippi. Since his retirement in 1978, he had divided his time between Washington and Mississippi.

He continued his work as a cooperating scientist until his death. He recently returned from an extensive trip to Malaysia, where he continued a 50-year study of leaf rolling and leaf mining beetles.

Mr. Vogt was the author of numerous papers published in professional journals, and he was a member of the Entomological Society of America and the Entomological Society of Washington.

Survivors include a brother, John Frederick Vogt of Cape Coral, Fla.


Civil Service Official

Asa M. McCain, 82, an official of the old Civil Service Commission from 1927 until he retired in 1966 from its bureau of executive management, died of a heart attack Dec. 13 at a hospital in Greensboro, N.C.

Mr. McCain was a resident of Leisure World in Silver Spring before moving to Greensboro in 1985. He was born in Pine Bluff, Ark. He came to Washington in 1927 and worked for Rep. James B. Reed (D-Ark.) until 1929, when he joined the Civil Service Commission, now the Office of Personnel Management. He graduated from George Washington University in 1936.

In the course of his career Mr. McCain spent a period as chief of personnel management policy development for the whole government. At the bureau of executive management, he was responsible for grading officials in the Civil Service supergrades.

He also was director of a commission-sponsored association of personnel directors of all government agencies.

Mr. McCain was a member of the Universalist National Memorial Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Grace B. McCain of Greensboro; three daughters, Martha Shoemaker of Gettysburg, Pa., Eleanor Baker of Greensboro, and Susan Callens of Riva, Md.; a son, Asa M. McCain III of Oakland, Md.; 15 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.


Administrative Assistant

Rupert Graydon Frick Jr., 43, an administrative assistant at the law firm of Covington and Burling, died of a heart attack Dec. 18 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He lived in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Frick had been at Covington and Burling for two years. From 1977 to 1988, he had worked as an administrative assistant at several small law firms and at the Heritage Foundation.

A native of Vienna, Mr. Frick came to Washington as an infant. He lived here, in Germany and at military bases elsewhere while growing up. He was a graduate of Walt Whitman High School in Bethesda and attended Montgomery College.

He served in the Army from 1967 to 1977, and he was stationed in West Germany as well as various posts in this country.

Mr. Frick was a member of the board of the American Indian Inter-Tribal Cultural Organization and the American Indian Society and the Gaithersburg Commodore Users Group, an organization of computer users.

He is survived by his wife, Katherine D. Frick of Gaithersburg; his mother, Ida L. Frick of Chevy Chase; and a sister, Bea Ross of Vienna.


Antiques Store Owner

Kathryn D. Newton, 83, an owner for 24 years of Newton's Antiques in the Alexandria Thieves Market complex, died of cardiorespiratory arrest Dec. 19 at her home in Alexandria.

A native of Henderson, N.C., she had lived in the Washington area since the 1930s. She worked for 20 years as a bookkeeper with the Agriculture Department and retired in 1963. The next year, she moved to Alexandria and opened the antiques business with her late husband, Forrest L. Newton. The store, which specialized in Early American reproductions, closed in 1988.

Mrs. Newton belonged to Plymouth Haven Baptist Church in Alexandria.

Her husband died in 1980. Survivors include a son, Robert R. Newton of Woodbridge; two sisters, Annie Perry Royston of Annandale and Ellie Tavenner of College Park; a brother, H. A. Davis of Henderson, N.C.; and three grandchildren.


Kingsbury Tutor

Virginia T. Williams, 73, a former master tutor at the Kingsbury Center in Washington, died of cancer Dec. 21 at Columbia Hospital for Women.

Mrs. Williams, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Cleveland and graduated from Western Reserve University. She moved to the Washington area from Birmingham, Mich., in 1959.

She began working at the Kingsbury Center in the early 1970s and retired there in 1987 as a master turor specializing in helping dyslexic children.

She was a member of the Junior League of Washington, the Sulgrave Club and Hermon Presbyterian Church in Potomac.

Survivors include her husband, Harter W. Williams of Bethesda; two daughters, Carol Williams Brown of New York City and Martha Williams Diaz of Madrid; a brother, William D. Templeton of Albuquerque; and three grandchildren.


Personnel Official

Catherine Pease Storms, 82, a retired personnel officer with the Bureau of Mines in the Interior Department, died of pneumonia Dec. 20 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Storms, a native of Memphis, had lived in Washington since 1942, and she worked as a government personnel officer until her retirement in 1980. Before coming to the Interior Department in the early 1960s, she worked for the old Civil Service Commission.

She was a volunteer in Union Station for the Travelers Aid Society and in the rare book room at the Washington Cathedral. She was a member of St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Washington.

Her husband, Frank H. Storms, died in 1972.

There are no immediate survivors.


Longtime Resident

Ida M. Scrivener, 92, a longtime resident of the Washington area and a former secretary at Garfinckel's department store, died of a gastrointestinal hemmorhage Dec. 19 at the Fairfax Nursing Center in Fairfax.

Mrs. Scrivener was born in Danville, Va. She grew up in Washington, and she graduated from Eastern High School. From 1938 until 1943, she was a secretary at Garfinckel's in downtown Washington.

In the mid-1960s, she moved to Fredericksburg, Va., and later to Richmond. She returned here about 1975 and settled in Rockville. She had been at the Fairfax Nursing Center for the past year.

Her husband, Wallace P. Scrivener, died in 1978.

There are no immediate survivors.