Henry S. Brooks, 79, a retired government official and Air Force Reserve colonel who also had worked for an engineering firm and been active in Alexandria civic groups, died Dec. 23 at the Oakwood retirement home in Alexandria after a stroke. He had arteriosclerosis.
He had served as chairman of the Alexandria School Board from 1967 to 1981 and vice chairman of the Alexandria Planning Commission from 1961 to 1964. He had served on the board of Alexandria Hospital from 1968 to 1974.
Mr. Brooks, who came to the Washington area in 1932, was a native of North Carolina. He received a degree in architectural engineering from North Carolina State University.
He served on active duty in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II, was recalled to active Air Force duty in 1951 and served with NATO before leaving active duty again in 1955. His decorations included the Air Medal. He retired from the reserves in 1973.
Mr. Brooks began his government career as an engineer with the Public Works Administration about 1932. After World War II, he worked for the Veterans Administration and the Air Force here. From 1955 to 1958, he worked in the office of the secretary of defense. From 1958 to 1961, he worked in the White House in the office of the special assistant to the president for public works planning.
Later in the 1960s, he was public facilities branch director for the Housing and Home Finance Agency and public facilities division director of the Community Facilities Administration. In 1973, he retired from the government and the Commerce Department, where he had served as engineering division chief in the economic development administration.
Mr. Brooks then worked for the engineering firm of VVKR, where he was government relations director before retiring a second time in 1981.
Survivors include his wife, Bobbo, of Alexandria; two sons, Espen, of Baltimore and Philip, of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.
Alfonso Viola, 80, who served as an Italian diplomat in Washington for 30 years before retiring in 1975 as chief of his embassy's chancery, died of cancer Dec. 22 at his home in Chevy Chase.
Mr. Viola, a native of Italy, became a decorated Army veteran of one of that country's Ethiopian campaigns in the mid-1930s. He joined the Foreign Ministry in 1936, serving in Rome and Yugoslavia before coming to this country and Washington in 1945.
He was a member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church in Washington.
Survivors include his wife, Olga Domic Viola, whom he married in 1938 and who lives in Chevy Chase; three daughters, Vittoria Winterton of Bethesda, Josephine Pollock of Arnold, Md., and Loretta Fioretti of Chevy Chase; a brother, Francesco, of Italy; and five grandchildren.
JOSEPH W. BURKE
Joseph W. Burke, 78, a retired courier with the old Atomic Energy Commission who lived in the Washington area from 1933 to 1973, died of cancer Dec. 18 at his home in Las Vegas.
Mr. Burke, a former Hyattsville resident, was a native of Scranton, Pa. He spent a decade as a lumber company truck driver here before serving with the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He then was a Pentagon security officer until transferring to the AEC in 1960. He retired in 1972.
His marriage to Mildred Burke ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, the former Ann Gordon, of Las Vegas; a son by his first marriage, William H., of Boulder City, Nev.; two stepchildren, Joseph Gordon of Sunderland, Md., and Nancy Gordon of Las Vegas; a brother, Charles E., of Williamsburg; and three grandchildren.
HENRY P. BARRAZOTTO
Pastry Shop Owner
Henry P. Barrazotto, 82, owner and operator of Clement's pastry shop at 1338 G St. NW from 1947 until retiring about 1985, died of cancer Dec. 22 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.
He was a past president of the National Capital Optimists Club and a member of the Arlington Optimists Club. He also was a past president of the Epicurean Club of Washington and a member of the Washington Golf and Country Club. He was a 4th degree member of the Knights of Columbus and a member of Alhambra Porto Caravan No. 104 in Arlington.
Mr. Barrazotto, who came here in 1947, was a native of New York City.
Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Lillian, a son, Richard, and a daughter, Laurette Byram, all of Arlington; a brother, Oreste P. Barazotto of Irvington, Va.; and six grandchildren.
BURL I. PALMER
Burl I. Palmer, 84, a retired typesetter who had worked for both the Government Printing Office and the Washington Evening Star newspaper, died of leukemia Dec. 22 at Mount Vernon Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.
He worked at the GPO from the late 1920s until joining the Star in the early 1960s. He retired from the Star in the late 1960s. Mr. Palmer, who came to the Washington area in 1927, was a native of Texas and graduate of the University of Texas.
He had been a member of the Columbia Typographical Union, the Elks and the Masons.
His wife, Margaret Palmer, died in 1979. Survivors include a daughter, Mary Stice of Alexandria; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.