Dale Patrick Riordan, 42, executive vice president for operations and systems of the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae), died of leukemia Dec. 30 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Riordan, who joined Fannie Mae in 1981, was in charge of its informations technology systems. Before becoming executive vice president for operations and systems in June 1990, he had served as vice president for strategic planning, executive vice president for administration and corporate relations, executive vice president for policy and public affairs, and executive vice president for marketing and customer service.

Born in Kingston, Pa., he grew up in Catonsville, Md., and came here to attend college. He was a graduate of the University of Maryland, where he also received a master's degree in economics. He served in Vietnam with the Marine Corps in 1968, and left the corps in 1974.

Before joining Fannie Mae, he had been chief economist with the old National Savings and Loan League, served as director of the office of policy and economic research at the Federal Home Loan Bank Board, and worked for the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Mr. Riordan had been a member of the board of the Greater Washington Research Center and had served as national capital region vice chairman of the National Kidney Foundation. He was a member of Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Washington and Phi Kappa Phi, a scholastic honor society.

Survivors include his wife, the former Marta Taylor, and a daughter, Allyson, both of Washington; his mother, Sophia Riordan of Catonsville; and two brothers, Dennis, of Florence, S.C., and David, of Fremont, Calif.


Springfield CPA

William H. Sprunk, 66, a Springfield certified public accountant who was a former government official and Geico officer, died Dec. 24 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Springfield.

He came to Washington in 1963 and joined the old Atlantic Research Co. in Alexandria, where he was controller. In 1967, he became vice president and treasurer of what had become the Susquehanna Corp. He left the company in 1971 and was a consultant until joining the Federal Trade Commission, where he worked from 1976 to 1981 and was an assistant director.

Mr. Sprunk was vice president and controller of Geico, the insurance concern, from 1981 to 1985. Since then, he had operated his own accounting firm in Springfield, specializing in work with high-tech companies.

He had been national director of the Financial Executives Institute and was a past D.C. chapter president of the National Association of Accountants and a member of the American Institute of CPAs. He was a member of the National Presbyterian Church in Washington, where he had been a trustee and member of the evangelism committee.

Mr. Sprunk was a native of New York City and a 1949 graduate of the Cornell University hotel administration school. During World War II, he served with the Army in Europe and received a Purple Heart. Before coming here, he had lived in New Jersey and worked as an accountant.

He was a life member of the Washington Cornell Alumni Association.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Ruth D., of Springfield; a son, Paul W., of Westwood, N.J.; two daughters, Lynn E. Page of Moraga, Calif., and Liane J. Sprunk of McLean; and three grandchildren.


Builder & Developer

Charles L. Kettler, 72, a longtime area home builder and developer who also had been a director and adviser of area banks, died of respiratory failure Dec. 28 at his home in Arlington.

He was a co-founder of Kettler Bros. Inc., a Gaithersburg-based company that was set up in 1955. He was a partner in the concern until retiring in 1986. He also had been a director of the Continental Savings & Loan in Arlington, and served on the advisory board of the Citizens Bank & Trust Co. of Maryland.

Mr. Kettler was a native of Washington and graduate of the University of Michigan. He was a Navy veteran of World War II.

He was a founder, 20 years ago, of the annual Harden and Weaver golf tournament, which raises funds for Children's Hospital. He also had been active in fund-raising work for American University. He was a charter member of the Arlington Junior Chamber of Commerce.

His wife of 48 years, the former Helen Palmer, died in May 1990. His survivors include a son, Everett, of East Calais, Vt.; two daughters, Virginia Armstong of Montgomery Village, Md., and Laura Mullins of Great Falls, Va.; a brother, Clarence, of Bethesda; and eight grandchildren.


State Department Official

Thomas Joseph Ranson, 67, a retired State Department personnel officer who was a member of St. Rita's Catholic Church in Alexandria, died Dec. 29 at Alexandria Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Alexandria.

He worked for the State Department, where he was a Foreign Service reserve officer, from 1951 until retiring in 1978. For the next three years, until retiring a second time, he was a consultant to the State and Commerce departments.

Mr. Ranson was a graduate of the University of Dayton in his native Ohio. He served with the Army in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II and in Korea during the conflict there.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Agnes, a son, Matthew, and a daughter, Anne Ranson, all of Alexandria; a brother, James, of Dayton; and two sisters, Jane Blue of Springfield, Ohio, and Helen Arbogast of Piqua, Ohio.


Volunteer Activist

Louise Anna Tauss, 77, a McLean resident since settling in this area in 1956 who was active in volunteer work, died Dec. 29 at Fairfax Hospital. She had cancer.

She had done volunteer work for such organizations as the McLean Boys Club, the American Cancer Society and the American Heart Association. She was a member of St. Luke's Catholic Church in McLean, and the Fairfax Hunt and Potomac Polo clubs.

Mrs. Tauss was a native of Long Island. In 1937, she married Edward Tauss, who later became an official of the Central Intelligence Agency. She accompanied him to agency postings in Europe and Mexico.

Mr. Tauss died in 1967. Her survivors include three sons, Brian L., of Culpeper, and Richard J. and Randolph M., both of McLean; and two grandchildren.


Swedish Diplomat

Bo Richard Adolfsson, 53, a labor counselor with the Swedish Embassy here since coming to this country in September 1987, died of a brain tumor Dec. 22 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Adolfsson was a native of Stockholm. He had been an electrician and labor organization official in Sweden before coming here as a diplomat.

Survivors include his wife, MajLis, of Washington; two daughters, Helena Adolfsson of Sweden and Malin Adolfsson of Washington; his mother, Stina Adolfsson, and a brother, Kjell, both of Sweden; and a granddaughter.