A three-alarm fire in an Adelphi apartment building last night left 15 families temporarily homeless and hospitalized one woman for smoke inhalation, Prince George's County fire officials said.

The blaze broke out shortly after 10 p.m. in a third-floor apartment in the 1800 block of Metzerott Road and spread quickly to the fourth and fifth floors of the building, one witness said.

"We were walking out the door, and I heard a little breaking glass," said Joe Mitchell, who lives in a nearby apartment. "We turned around, and it just blew," he said. "Flames were pouring out of the bedroom window. I've never seen flames like that before."

Firefighters rescued six people who were trapped in the 40-unit building, which is part of the Presidential Park apartment complex.

A 29-year-old woman suffering from smoke inhalation was then taken to Washington Adventist Hospital. A spokeswoman there said the woman, whose name was not disclosed, was treated and released.

The blaze caused an estimated $75,000 in damage to the apartment building and destroyed about $40,000 in residents' property, a fire department spokesman said. The fire was under control by 10:45 p.m. and extinguished shortly after 11 p.m.

Families displaced by the fire were housed last night by the Red Cross and the Prince George's County Office of Emergency Preparedness, the fire department spokesman said.