Richard Corrigan, 53, the managing editor of the National Journal, a weekly magazine noted for its coverage of politics and government policy, died of a heart attack Jan. 3 at George Washington University Hospital. He was stricken at his desk in the National Journal newsroom.

Mr. Corrigan was a journalist all of his working life. He was a reporter on the city desk of The Washington Post before joining the National Journal in 1969, when it was organized. He covered energy and the environment, and in the mid-1970s he made several extended trips to Alaska to write about the effect of the energy shortages of that period on that state's oil economy and its ecology. He had been managing editor since 1987.

In 1989, when the Exxon Valdez ran aground shortly after taking on a cargo of crude at Valdez, the southern terminus of the Alaska pipeline, and unleashed a massive oil spill on the pristine reaches of Prince William Sound, Mr. Corrigan pulled out an article he had written more than a decade earlier that warned of just such a catastrophe.

A gifted writer, Mr. Corrigan occasionally published stories on the lighter side of the day's issues, and these broadened the tone of a magazine that is esteemed first of all for the care and thoroughness of its reporting. Richard S. Frank, the editor of the National Journal, described him as "our best writer."

Charles Richard Corrigan, a resident of Washington, was born in Glen Ridge, N.J. He grew up in Chappaqua, N.Y. He graduated from the University of Florida, where he majored in journalism, and he served in the Army.

He began his newspaper career in 1959 on the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times. He was a reporter and editor there until 1961, when he joined the Atlanta Constitution. In 1962, he moved to Washington and joined The Post. In 1963, he was an assistant editor on The Washington Post-Los Angeles Times New Service, but for most of his time on this newspaper, he was assigned to the city desk as a reporter.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy M. Corrigan of Washington; four children, Kerry Corrigan of Gainesville, Fla., and Francis Patrick, Hilary and John Joseph Corrigan, all of Washington; his mother, Mrs. Thomas F. Corrigan of Naples, Fla.; a sister, Carol Conway of Stockton, N.J.; and a brother, Thomas Corrigan of Arlington, Wash.



Raymond H. Norton Jr., 63, a horseman who rode and trained horses at his farm, "Portadown," near Philamont in Loudoun County, died Dec. 27 of heart ailments at his home.

Mr. Norton was born in Washington and grew up on a family farm in Potomac, where he rode and raced horses and ponies as a child.

He attended George Washington University and served in the Army during World War II and immediately afterward, when he was posted in Japan with occupation forces.

He worked in a family rendering business, Norton and Company, in Alexandria until 1968.

Mr. Norton established his horse farm at Philamont in 1965. He was a licensed horse trainer and a starter for steeplechase, hunt association and point-to-point races. He also participated in fox hunts.

Survivors include his wife, Ann H. Norton of Philamont; three sons, Glenn H. Norton and Hugh R. "Fuzzy" Norton, both of Philamont, and Bruce C. Norton of Leesburg; and two grandchildren.



Mary Elizabeth King, 91, an artist who specialized in portraits and miniatures and a retired Army colonel's widow who accompanied her husband to military posts across the United States, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 2 at Knollwood in Washington.

Mrs. King was born in Springfield, Mo. She attended what was then Western Maryland Teachers College and studied art in Paris and Florence.

She had been a permanent resident of Washington since 1925 and had operated an artist's studio at her home.

She was a charter member of the Miniature Painters, Sculptors and Gravers Society of Washington, a deacon of Georgetown Presbyterian Church and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was a gardener and a member of the Georgetown Garden Club.

Her husband, retired Army Col. Archibald King, died in 1971.

Survivors include four children, retired Army Col. Francis King of Solomons Island, Md., Robert David King of Arlington, Margaret Wisdom of Bethesda and Charles Wesley King of Alexandria; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.



Ruth W. Mewis, 78, a retired U.S. Tariff Commission librarian, died of cancer Jan. 2 at a nursing home in Uvalde, Tex.

Mrs. Mewis was born in Conway, Ark., and graduated from Kendall College in Evanston, Ill.

She moved to the Washington area in 1951 and worked as a secretary to the director of university relations at the University of Maryland before joining the staff of the Tariff Commission as librarian in 1960. She retired in 1974.

A former resident of College Park, she moved to Uvalde after retiring. She was a member of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in College Park.

Her marriage to B.H. Mewis ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Rebecca M. Daugherty of Hagerstown, Md., and James M. Mewis of Ocala, Fla.; and four grandchildren.


Lacrosse Coach & Teacher

Milton R. Roberts, 72, a retired lacrosse coach and teacher who was a member of the National and Maryland Lacrosse Halls of Fame, died of cancer Jan. 2 at his home at Rehoboth Beach, Del.

Mr. Roberts was born in Annapolis, where he graduated from the Severn School and attended the U.S. Naval Academy for two years. Later he attended Johns Hopkins University, and he played on its 1941 national championship lacrosse team. He then served in the Army in Europe during World War II and was awarded the Purple Heart and three Bronze Stars.

He graduated from Johns Hopkins in 1948, then was a coach, Spanish teacher and administrator at the University of Delaware. From 1960 to 1965, he was a coach and teacher at the Severn School, then returned to Delaware. He coached and taught at Lewes High School and Cape Henlopen High School until retiring in 1980.

He had written several articles on lacrosse, including a history of the sport, "The Lacrosse Story," and was a member of the Lacrosse Foundation board of directors.

His marriages to Evelyn Roberts and Judith Roberts ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy A. Roberts of Rehoboth Beach; a son from his first marriage, Steven Roberts of Newark, Del.; a brother, Wilbur Roberts of Winter Haven, Fla.; and a grandson.


Army Sergeant

Richard J. Vitali, 67, a retired Army sergeant who became a warehouseman for the Baxter Health Care Supply Co. in Savage, died of heart ailments Jan. 2 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mr. Vitali, who lived in Bowie, was born in New Britain, Conn. He enlisted in the Army in 1943 and served in Europe in World War II. A truck driver and later a cook, he spent his subsequent career at various posts in this country and in Germany and France.

He had lived in the Washington area since 1958, and he was stationed at Fort McNair when he retired in 1967.

Mr. Vitali worked for Baxter Health Care from 1967 until he retired in 1985.

His wife, Anna Vitali, died in 1960.

Survivors include two children, Joann Walton of Laurel and Peggy Vitali of Bowie; a sister, Norma Evans of Plainville, Conn.; two brothers, Phillip Vitali of Southington, Conn., and George Vitali of New Britain; and two grandsons.


Springfield Resident

Nora Haller Gulbicki, 50, a former stenographer with the FBI field office in Richmond, died of cancer Jan. 3 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Gulbicki, a resident of Springfield who had lived in the Washington area since 1975, was born in Norfolk. She grew up in Richmond, and she graduated from Longwood College in Farmville, Va.

She lived in New Jersey and California and then returned to Richmond, where she worked for the FBI for about five years.

Survivors include her husband, William T. Gulbicki of Springfield, a former chief of the FBI Academy in Quantico; three children, Stephen Mitchell, Timothy David and Mary Christina Gulbicki, all of Springfield; her father, Mitchell W. Haller Sr. of Mechanicsville, Va.; a brother, Mitchell W. Haller Jr. of York, Pa.; and two sisters, Nancy Wilkins of Quinton, Va., and Kathleen Barber of Richmond.


Pepsi Cola Executive

Norman A. Hayter, 73, a retired vice president and general manager for Pepsi Cola operations in the metropolitan Washington area, died Jan. 1 at Frederick Memorial Hospital in Frederick, Md., of complications after surgery for an aneurysm.

Mr. Hayter, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Tulsa. He attended the University of Oklahoma.

In 1939, he moved to the Washington area and began his career in the soft drink business with Dr Pepper.

He served in the Army during World War II, then returned here to work for Dr Pepper. He owned the Dr Pepper bottling franchise in Frederick, then in 1955 joined Pepsi Cola and became manager of the company's Rockville plant.

In 1962, Mr. Hayter moved to Hartford, where he was New England regional manager for Pepsi Cola. He was transferred to Houston in 1963 as regional vice president and marketing manager, then in 1965 returned to the Washington area. He worked in various capacities for the company until 1987, when he retired as vice president and general manager for Pepsi Cola in this area.

Mr. Hayter was a former president of the Optimists Club in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, the former Eileen Ann Miller of Silver Spring; six children, Norman Hayter of Middletown, Md., Maurice Hayter of Newmarket, Md., Ann Chottiner of Olney, Mary Moody of Chesapeake Beach, Md., Michael Hayter of Grand Junction, Colo., and Kathleen Martini of Highbridge, N.J.; and 13 grandchildren.


Catholic Priest

The Rev. Patrick J. Durkin, 60, a Catholic priest who had been pastor of St. Margaret's Catholic Church in Seat Pleasant and St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in Washington, died of a heart attack Jan. 1 at the home of a friend in Mitchellville.

Rev. Durkin was a former member of the Priest's Senate, an advisory panel to Cardinal James A. Hickey, the Archbishop of Washington. At the time of his death, he was associate pastor of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in North Beach, Md.

Born in the Bronx, N.Y., Rev. Durkin graduated from St. Joseph's Seminary in Yonkers, N.Y., and he attended St. Vincent's Seminary in Latrobe, N.Y. He was ordained a priest on March 25, 1957, by Cardinal Patrick O'Boyle in St. Matthew's Cathedral in Washington.

His first assignment was as associate pastor of St. Camillus Catholic Church in Silver Spring. He later was associate pastor at St. Peter's Catholic Church in Washington, and later still he was administrator of St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Cheverly.

In 1970, Rev. Durkin was appointed administrator of St. Margaret's Catholic Church and then became its pastor. He remained there until 1985, when he went to St. Gabriel's as pastor. He resigned from that post in 1987.

Survivors include a brother, John Durkin of Floral Park, N.Y.


Admiral's Widow

Avis Cochran Fenno, 83, the widow of a retired Navy rear admiral who had accompanied her husband to various naval installations when he was on active duty, died of cancer and heart ailments Jan. 1 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Fenno was born in Williamsport, Pa., and had lived in the Washington area as a permanent resident since 1960. In 1929, she married Frank Wesley Fenno, a career Navy officer who retired as a rear admiral. They were at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941, brought the United States into World War II. He died in 1973.

Mrs. Fenno was a volunteer with the Navy Relief Association.

Survivors include three sons, Charles Fenno of Bethesda, Frank Wesley Fenno Jr. of Wellsboro, Pa., and Navy Capt. Ted Fenno of State College, Pa.; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Program Administrator

Margaret Crosby, 70, a retired Labor Department program administrator for grants to Indian tribes, died Jan. 2 at Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Crosby, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Washington. She graduated from Western High School.

She retired from the Labor Department in 1989 after 37 years of government service that also included work for the Department of Commerce and the Job Corps.

Her husband, Ores Crosby, died in 1979.

Survivors include three children, John Ores Crosby of Ogden, Utah, Michele Crosby of Tallahassee, Fla., and Mona Flinn of Vienna, and five grandchildren.