Clarence C. Goen, 66, a church historian and professor emeritus of Christianity at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, died of cancer Dec. 26 at the Wilson Health Care Center in Gaithersburg.

Dr. Goen joined the Wesley faculty in 1960 and served there until he retired in 1989. He also had been an adjunct professor at Catholic, American and George Washington universities, and at the School of Theology at the Claremont Colleges in California. He was a specialist in 19th century American church history and had received the Frank and Elizabeth Brewer Prize of the American Society of Church History for his book, "Revivalism and Separatism in New England."

He also was author of "Broken Churches, Broken Nation: Denominational Schisms and the Coming of the American Civil War," and of dozens of articles for professional journals. He was editor of "The Great Awakening, Volume IV of The Works of Jonathan Edwards."

Dr. Goen, who lived in Gaithersburg, was born in San Marcos, Tex. He graduated from the University of Texas and Hardin-Simmons University. From 1944 to 1947, he worked for Radio Corporation of America in Bloomington, Ind. He then served as a Baptist clergyman at churches in Austin, Rowena and Allen, Tex., and Ada, Okla., while attending Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, where he received a bachelor's degree in divinity and a doctorate in theology.

He received a doctorate in church history at Yale University.

He was a former president of the American Society of Church History and president and secretary of the American Baptist Historical Society.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Betty Presnell Goen of Gaithersburg; three sons, Charles Goen of Lake Yale, Fla., Scott Goen of Front Royal, Va., and Robert Goen of Tampa; and four grandchildren.


Girl Scout Official

Mary Frances Peters, 66, the director of the Washington office of the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., died Dec. 29 at Washington Hospital Center of complications arising from gall bladder surgery.

Mrs. Peters, who lived in Arlington, was born in Atlanta, and she attended Georgia State University.

She moved to the Washington area in 1973 and went to work for the Girl Scouts. She was named director of the Washington office in 1979.

Her marriage to Donald Peters ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Rene Enriquez of Arlington; three daughters, Charlotte Chandler of Washington and Meredith Peters and Jennifer Jackson, both of Atlanta; two sons, Mark Peters of Chicago and Roy Peters of Richmond; and five grandsons.


Supermarket Clerk

Thomas C. McDonald, 31, a retail clerk for Giant Food at its store on West Glebe Road in Arlington, died of cancer Dec. 31 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. McDonald, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Girardville, Pa. He grew up in Annandale. He graduated from Annandale High School and attended Northern Virginia Community College. He went to work for Giant 10 years ago.

Survivors include his parents, Alice H. and William J. McDonald of Annandale; two brothers, William J. McDonald of Springfield and Edward L. McDonald of Burke; and a sister, Mary Alicia Beck of Richmond.


FHA Telephone Operator

Mary Elizabeth Roy, 78, a former telephone operator for the Federal Housing Administration, died of pneumonia Jan. 3 at a convalescent center in Whiteville, N.C.

Mrs. Roy was born in Pittsburgh. She came to the Washington area in 1940 and worked for the housing administration from 1945 to 1960.

She was a resident of Rockville but had been at the convalescent center for the last year.

Her husband of 54 years, Walter Roy, died in 1988. Survivors include two children, Shirley Lukasik of Rockville and John Wayne Roy of Stillwell, Kan.; a brother, Raymond Owens of Pittsburgh; and nine grandchildren.


Secret Service Special Agent

Lubert "Bert" de Freese, 65, a retired Secret Service special agent who spent 23 years with that agency before retiring in 1979, died of leukemia Jan. 2 at his home in Alexandria.

He moved here and joined the Secret Service in 1956. He had served on White House details protecting Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon. He spent the last four years of his career in the service's investigative unit here.

Mr. de Freese, a native of Omaha, was a graduate of Colorado State University. He served with the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He began his civilian government career in 1950 with the National Park Service in Yellowstone National Park.

He was a member of the Former Agents of the U.S. Secret Service.

Survivors include his wife, Marian, of Alexandria; a daughter, Laurie de Freese of Arlington; and his mother, Bonnie Starr of Newton, Kan.



Lottie Lisle, 69, a retired government actuary who had been staff actuary of Automated Retirement Plans Inc. of Springfield since 1986, died Jan. 2 at Alexandria Hospital. She had pneumonia.

She worked for the Social Security Administration here and in Baltimore from 1959 to 1978. After a year with the Labor Department, she joined the General Accounting Office, where she worked until retiring in 1986.

Mrs. Lisle, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Germany. She came to this country in 1938 and lived in New York City before coming here in 1959. She was a graduate of Brooklyn College.

She was a past president of the Middle Atlantic Actuarial Club and a member of Franconia Orators Toastmasters Club, the Alexandria Women's Club and the Old Dominion Business and Professional Women's Club, where she worked on fund-raising projects for scholarships. She also had been active in a Bush presidential election committee.

Her marriages to Joseph Swierzynskie and Patrick Lisle both ended in divorce.

Survivors include two brothers, William Wolman of Bethesda and Peter Kolls of Arlington.