Western Maryland College Professor

Harwell Presley Sturdivant, 88, a professor and biology department chairman at Western Maryland College in Westminster from 1948 to 1973, died Jan. 3 at the Wheatland retirement center in Radford, Va. He had Parkinson's disease.

Dr. Sturdivant was past president of the Association of Southeastern Biologists and Beta Beta Beta, an honorary biology society. He also was a past president of the Carroll County Heart Association and had served on the state board of the association.

Before joining the Western Maryland faculty, he had taught at Millsaps College, Middle Tennessee State University and Union College. He also had served as a consultant to the National Science Foundation.


New York Times VP

William H. Davis, 68, the founder of Golf Digest magazine and a retired New York Times Co. vice president and head of the magazine group, died Jan. 2 at a hospital in Fairfield, Conn. He had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

He was Chicago news editor of Printers Ink Magazine from 1946 to 1949 and started Golf Digest in 1950. He was an account executive in the CBS television station division from 1952 to 1959, working in New York and Chicago. He left that job to become editor-in-chief of Golf Digest. He and his colleagues sold the magazine to the Times in 1969.

Mr. Davis then joined the times, becoming a senior vice president in 1984, when he also was named chairman of Family Circle, Golf Digest, Tennis, Cruising World and Golf World of the United Kingdom. He retired in 1987.


NY Fire Chief

John T. O'Hagan, 65, who served simultaneously as chief of New York City's Fire Department and as fire commissioner in the mid-1970s, died Jan. 2 at his home in Brooklyn. He had cancer.

He was 39 when he was appointed fire chief in 1964, the youngest chief in the department's history. He was appointed fire commissioner in 1973 by Mayor John Lindsay and retained both posts under Mayor Abraham Beame.

Mr. O'Hagan is considered the author of Local Law 5, which was regarded as the most stringent high-rise fire safety law in the nation when it was passed in 1973. He also pioneered the use of "cherry picker" ladders that could reach above the seventh floor of buildings. It also was during his tenure that women first took Fire Department tests.


Cincinnati Neurosurgeon

Frank H. Mayfield, 83, a past president of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons who helped establish neurosurgery departments at three Cincinnati hospitals, died Jan. 2 in Cincinnati. The cause of death was not reported.

Dr. Mayfield was named neurosurgeon of the year in 1982 by Surgical Neurology magazine.

He moved from Virginia to Cincinnati in 1937 to establish his medical practice. He helped develop a graduate program in neurosurgery at the University of Cincinnati medical school and went on to establish neurosurgery departments at Christ Hospital and Good Samaritan Hospital, both in Cincinnati.


FBI Agent

G.G. Campbell, 84, a former FBI agent who took part in the ambush of notorious bank robber John Dillinger outside a Chicago theater in 1934, died Jan. 1 in Palo Alto, Calif., after a heart attack.

He was one of two surviving members of the FBI team that got Dillinger. The robber was set up for the ambush at the Chicago movie theater by Anna Sage, the so-called "Lady in Red," who was cooperating with federal agents.

Mr. Campbell also helped track down such legendary gangsters as Bonnie Parker, Clyde Barrow, Ma Barker and "Pretty Boy" Floyd. After his retirement in 1965, he worked for a gun company.



Chen Ping, 47, a popular short story writer better known by her pen name, San Mao, died Jan. 4 in Taipei at Veterans General Hospital.

Doctors who said she was being treated for a "womb ailment," said she hanged herself in the bathroom of her room.

She had written dozens of short stories, including "The Sahara Desert" and "The Crying Camel." She also wrote the script for the Hong Kong movie "Till the end of the World." It won eight of the 16 awards at the 1990 Golden Horse Film Festival last month. The festival is the Taiwanese equivalent of the Oscar awards.



Irving M. Johnson, 85, who sailed around the world seven times in his schooner-brigantine Yankee and wrote and lectured about the experiences, died Jan. 2 in Hadley, Mass. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Johnson joined the Merchant Marine and made his first voyage around Cape Horn on a square-rigger bound from Germany to Chile in 1929. During World War II, he served in the Pacific and attained the rank of commander.

His 18-month-long trips around the world were made with amateur crews between 1933 and 1958. He filmed the voyages and collaborated with his wife on eight books and 13 articles for National Geographic. The magazine produced two television films of the trips out of Gloucester and a film of his life.