The obituary yesterday of George W. Hieta failed to include among his survivors a daughter, Ellen Losee of Topsfield, Mass. (Published 1/6/91)
Jean Camper Cahn, 55, who with her husband founded the Antioch School of Law in Washington in 1972 and who taught at the institution until 1980, died of cancer Jan. 2 at her home in Miami Beach.
In addition to her work at Antioch, which she carried on with her husband, Edgar S. Cahn, Mrs. Cahn was the founding director of the National Legal Services Program in the Office of Economic Opportunity in 1965 and the founder of the Urban Law Institute in 1968. The institute, which later became part of the Antioch School of Law, was organized to train lawyers in matters relating to community economic development and the legal problems of minorities and disenfranchised groups.
Like the Urban Law Institute, Antioch was set up with an emphasis on serving the poor and the disadvantaged. It received financial support from Antioch College in Ohio, with which it was associated, and from the Legal Services Corporation. It also inspired a profound sense of commitment among its constituents -- especially faculty and students. Despite those advantages, money problems abounded, and by the mid-1980s they were threatening the institution. Moreover, the American Bar Association threatened to withdraw its acccreditation, partly because of poor physical facilities and low faculty salaries.
The University of the District of Columbia refused to take the law school under its wing, and in 1988 it closed. Its place was taken by the D.C. School of Law. Mrs. Cahn worked for support of the new school, and in 1988, as a consultant to the interim board of governors, she helped recruit its faculty and its first students. Edgar Cahn teaches at the school.
At different times in her career, Mrs. Cahn also worked for the State Department and taught at the Yale, Howard and George Washington University law schools and at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vt. In 1981 and 1982, she had a Minna Shaughnessy fellowship at the Fund for the Improvement of Secondary Education at the Department of Health and Human Services, and in 1986 she was a visiting scholar at the London School of Economics.
Until 1984 she lived in Washington, and since 1986, she had been of counsel to the Miami law firm of Fernandez-Caubi, Fernandez, Cancio & Allen.
Mrs. Cahn, a native of Baltimore, graduated from Swarthmore College and the Yale University Law School. She was a neighborhood legal services lawyer in New Haven, Conn., and a lecturer in international law at the Yale Law School before moving to Washington in 1963. She worked in the Office of the Legal Adviser at the State Department and then for the Office of Economic Opportunity. From 1965 to 1968, when she founded the Urban Law Institute, she was in private practice in Washington.
Mrs. Cahn was a member of the U.S. Judicial Conference for the District of Columbia, the National Advisory Council for Legal Services, the Washington Center for Metropolitan Studies and the National Association of Black Women Attorneys. She also was a member of Temple Micah in Washington.
In addition to her husband, whom she married in 1957, of Washington and Miami Beach, survivors include two children, Jonathan Daniel Cahn of Washington and Reuben Camper Cahn of Boynton Beach, Fla.; her mother, Florine Camper of Baltimore; and two brothers, Nixon and John Camper, and three sisters, Mary Lou Redd, Ellen Johns and Elizabeth Jones, all of Baltimore.
DOROTHY C. ADKINS
Dorothy C. Adkins, 59, a retired secretary with the Montgomery County public schools who was a member of Glenmont United Methodist Church in Wheaton, died of a heart ailment Jan. 2 at a Washington house where she was house-sitting. She lived in Wheaton.
She worked for the Montgomery schools from 1971 to 1979. During those years, she was a secretary at Wheaton High School and then in the office of an area superintendent in Bethesda.
Mrs. Adkins, who was born in York, Pa., came to this area in 1939. She graduated from Dunbar High School in the District and was a graduate in English of Virginia State College in Petersburg.
She worked as a secretary with the Navy Department. She then lived in Wisconsin from 1955 to 1961, and was a secretary for the University of Wisconsin. She returned here in 1961.
Survivors include her husband of 36 years, Dr. James S. Adkins, and a son, James Jr., both of Wheaton; a daughter, Sheryl Adkins of Stamford, Conn.; three sisters, Sara Dowling of York, and Eva Mannard and Evelyn Pinkney, both of Baltimore; and a brother, Theodore Cromwell of River Vale, N.J.
Dime Store Clerk
Sue Burke, 91, who was a sales clerk at the H.L. Green dime store in Silver Spring from about 1960 to 1977, died of a heart ailment Dec. 19 at a nursing home in Canal Fulton, Ohio.
Mrs. Burke, a former Silver Spring resident, moved to Akron, Ohio, in June 1989. A native of what is now Yugoslavia, she came to this country about 1908 and lived in Akron before coming here in 1957.
Her husband, Alonzo C. Burke, died in 1960. Survivors include a son, William A., of Adelphi; a daughter, Marjorie M. Conrad; and two brothers, John and Robert P. Abel, all of Akron; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
MARTHA L. ROSS
Martha L. Ross, 75, a former head of the patent department of the Atlantic Research Corp. who later became a consultant on patents, died of cancer Jan. 3 at Alexandria Hospital.
Mrs. Ross, who lived in Arlington, was born in New York City. She graduated from Hunter College and received a master's degree in chemistry from Columbia University. She moved to the Washington area in 1942.
In the late 1940s, she went to work for Mason Fenwick & Lawrence, a patent law firm. In 1952, she joined the Atlantic Research Corp., and she was the head of its patent department. In 1967, she became a consultant and independent patent agent, and she continued that work until retiring in 1986.
Mrs. Ross was a member of the American Chemical Society.
Her husband, Murray Ross, whom she married in 1935, died in 1986. Survivors include two children, Eloise S. Ross of Brattleboro, Vt., and Peter S. Ross of Arlington; and two grandchildren.
KATHRYN I. EMMERSON
Navy Dept. Employee
Kathryn Irene Emmerson, 101, a Washington native and the widow of a retired Navy captain, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Jan. 3 at Carl Vinson Hall in McLean.
Mrs. Emmerson was a Navy Yeomanette in World War I, and later was a civilian employee of the Navy Department. Her marriage to Frederick Andrew Bischoff ended in divorce.
In 1928, she married George H. Emmerson, a Navy officer who retired as a captain. She accompanied him to various stations in this country and the Panama Canal Zone. She returned here in the early 1940s, and had lived at Carl Vinson Hall since 1969.
She was a member of the Epiphany Episcopal Church in Washington.
Capt. Emmerson died in 1968. Survivors include a son by her first marriage, Richard A. Bischoff of Arlington.
GEORGE W. HIETA
George William Hieta, 69, a retired supervisor in the business office of Alexandria Hospital, died of cancer Jan. 3 at Mount Vernon Hospital.
Mr. Hieta, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Elliston, Mont. He served in the Army Air Forces in South America in World War II, and he attended the University of Washington.
For 25 years before moving to the Washington area in 1975, he was the general manager of Perry & Sherman, a wholesale company in Utica, N.Y. He went to work at Alexandria Hospital when he came here, and retired in 1985.
Survivors include his wife, Jane P. Hieta of Alexandria; two children, Norman P. Hieta of Leesburg and Laurie Hieta of Alexandria; a sister, Irene Jenkins of Calistoga, Calif.; and two grandchildren.