Omar Raymond Carrington, 86, a retired insurance broker and former art instructor, died Jan. 5 of renal failure and pneumonia at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Chevy Chase.
Mr. Carrington had careers in journalism, education, graphics and art instruction before becoming a broker for the Travelers Insurance Co. in 1954. He was also an award-winning artist whose works had been featured in exhibitions and are included in museum collections.
He retired about 25 years ago as an insurance broker with Henry A. Latimer and Sons in Bethesda.
Mr. Carrington was born in Philadelphia and raised in New York City and near Chestertown, Md. He received a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Maryland and did graduate work in art history at American University.
He was also a research fellow at the Louis Comfort Tiffany Foundation and completed art studies at the Corcoran School of Art and the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.
Mr. Carrington was an assistant professor of journalism at the University of Maryland from 1928 to 1942, and headed the university's department of publications from 1942 to 1944.
From 1944 to 1947 he was editor of a U.S. Department of Agriculture publication, Agriculture in the Americas. He was an instructor of painting and drawing at the Corcoran from 1946 to 1955 and also taught watercolor painting at Catholic University.
From 1951 to 1954 Mr. Carrington was project director for the graphics division of the State Department.
He won several first prizes from artists' organizations for his abstract expressionist paintings. His paintings are included in the permanent collections of the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts and the Mint Museum of Art in Charlotte, N.C., as well as in private collections.
Among the museums that held one-man shows of his paintings were the Mint Museum and the Baltimore Museum of Art.
His wife, Mildred Carrington, died in 1988. Survivors include two sons, R. Allen Carrington of Oakland and David K. Carrington of Columbia.
AGNES C. KENDRICK
Agnes C. Kendrick, 79, a civic activist and former newspaper columnist, died Jan. 4 at her home in Washington of head injuries suffered in an accidental fall.
Mrs. Kendrick was born in Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and Miner Teachers College. In the 1930s she was a teacher at Bowen Elementary School.
During World War II she was a clerk and secretary for the Navy Department.
In 1953 she started a weekly newspaper, Capital Spotlight, with her husband, R.E. "Ike" Kendrick. In the early years of the newspaper she had written a weekly column, "Off the Record." She had participated in the management of the newspaper until her death.
Mrs. Kendrick was a former public relations adviser to former D.C. Commissioner John Duncan, and in the 1960s a board member and treasurer of CHANGE, a community action agency funded by the antipoverty program. She was also active in the D.C. Civic Association.
Her marriage to Benjamin Coates ended in divorce.
In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include their two daughters, Carol Booker of Alexandria and Elizabeth Brooks of Suitland; three children of her first marriage, William Coates of Washington, James Coates of Joppa, Md., and Shirley Marr of Kettering, Md.; three stepchildren, Robert E. Kendrick II of Temple Hills; Dolores T. Kendrick of Washington and Juanita Williams of Savannah, Ga.; 15 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
LILLIAN G. WHEELER FIELDS
Lillian G. Wheeler Fields, 73, an obstetrician and gynecologist who practiced in Washington from around 1950 until she retired in 1987, died of an aortic aneurysm Jan. 3 at a hospital in Rochester, N.Y.
Dr. Fields was born in New York City and grew up there and in Manassas and Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and Howard University and its medical school.
She was in private practice in Washington until 1969 when she joined the medical staff of the D.C. Department of Health and Human Services. There she practiced obstetrics and gynecology at neighborhood health clinics at Potomac Gardens and Arthur Kapper housing projects in Southeast Washington, and she also held a variety of administrative posts, including chief of the Potomac Gardens clinic and chief of obstetrics at Arthur Kapper.
She had served on the faculty at Howard University Medical Schol and on the medical staffs of Freedman's and Hadley Memorial hospitals.
She moved to Rochester in the summer of 1989.
Her husband, Robert L. Fields Jr., died in 1985.
Survivors include two daughters, Dr. Karen E. Fields of Rochester and Dr. Barbara J. Fields of New York City; and a granddaughter.
LOUISE ADAMS KELSO
Louise Adams Kelso, 78, the wife of a retired Washington journalist and Foreign Service officer, died of an internal hemorrhage Jan. 4 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Fairfax County.
Mrs. Kelso was born in Haverhill, Mass., but spent most of her childhood in Honolulu.
She returned to Massachusetts for high school.
She accompanied her husband, John Kelso, on journalism assignments to Portland, Maine, and Boston before moving to the Washington area in the 1950s.
In the early 1960s they were in Canberra, Australia, with the U.S. Foreign Service, then returned to Washington.
They moved to Miami on his retirement in 1974 but returned to this area in 1979.
In addition to her husband, of Fairfax, Mrs. Kelso is survived by a son, Jack Kelso of Kensington; and a daughter, Willa Kelso Untiedt of Vienna; and four grandchildren.
Mitzi Bernstein, 77, a member of Hadassah and ORT, died Jan. 4 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke.
Mrs. Bernstein, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She graduated from City College of New York and moved to the Washington area in 1936.
As a young woman, she worked for about six years as an examiner at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
Survivors include her husband of 52 years, Bernard Bernstein of Bethesda; two daughters, Debbie Birgfeld of Bethesda and Abby Bernstein of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.
HESTER REDDINGTON RYAN
Maritime Administration Employee
Hester Reddington Ryan, 89, a retired clerical employee of the Maritime Administration, died Jan. 5 of congestive heart failure at Suburban Hospital. She lived at Cool Spring Level Farm in Potomac, where she and her late husband, Harry Freund, raised thoroughbred horses.
Mrs. Ryan was a native of Holloway, Ohio, and a graduate of the Chicago Art Institute and American University. She moved to this area just prior to World War II and had lived in Potomac since the early 1940s.
Mrs. Ryan worked for the Maritime Administration from 1941 until her retirement in 1970.
She was a charter member of the Washington chapter of the National Organization for Women.
Her marriage to Al Ryan ended in divorce. Her second husband, Harry Freund, died in 1978. She is survived by a sister, Helen Reddington, of Houston.
JAN KRISTINE McCOLL
Jan Kristine McColl, 37, chief of the office of education at the National Air and Space Museum, died of cancer Jan. 6 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.
Miss McColl, who lived in Arlington, was born in Worcester, Mass. She graduated from the University of Massachusetts and taught school in Massachusetts before moving to the Washington area in 1979.
She received a master's degree in education from George Washington University, and from 1981 to 1988 taught special education preschool classes at Ashlawn and Jackson elementary schools in Arlington.
She began working part time at the Air and Space Museum about five years ago, then became a full time member of the staff after leaving the Arlington schools in 1988. She had helped develop educational materials at the museum, including a children's guide.
She had done volunteer work in Arlington for the Democratic Party and SANE.
Survivors include her husband, David B. Kendall of Arlington; her parents, Roderick H. and E. Kristine McColl of East Orleans, Mass.; and three brothers, Craig R. McColl of Worcester, David B. McColl of East Orleans and James B. McColl of Rutland, Mass.
CIA, FPC Secretary
Virginia Daken Ferro, 70, a retired secretary who had worked for the Central Intelligence Agency and the Federal Power Commission, died Jan. 5 of a stroke at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Chevy Chase.
A native of Charleston, W.Va., Mrs. Ferro moved here in the early 1930s. She attended Eastern High School and Strayer College.
She worked at the FPC from 1947 to 1957 and at the CIA from 1957 until her retirement in 1977.
She belonged to Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church.
Mrs. Ferro is survived by her husband of six years, Sammy Ferro of Chevy Chase.
JOHN EDWARD DUNDIN
Architect, CU Professor
John Edward Dundin, 77, a retired architect and professor emeritus of architecture at Catholic University, died of a heart attack Jan. 5 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Kensington.
Mr. Dundin practiced architecture here from 1949 to 1985 and taught design and graphics at Catholic University from 1949 to 1980. He designed residential and commercial buildings, but his principal architectural work was as a maker of architectural renderings as a consultant to other architects.
A native of Waterbury, Conn., Mr. Dundin moved here in 1930 to attend Catholic University, where he received bachelor's and master's degrees in architecture.
Also known as a painter and sculptor, Mr. Dundin donated selected works to Catholic University in 1982 for a sale that helped establish Friends of Architecture, an alumni group that finances scholarships for architecture students. Mr. Dundin's works are included in collections throughout the country and at Catholic University.
He was a member of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington.
Survivors include his wife, Stella M. Dundin of Kensington; two sons, Joseph Dundin of Silver Spring and Hugh Dundin of Kensington; a daughter, Ellen Murphy of Germantown; a sister, Mary Ann Mitchell of Hartford, Conn.; and three grandchildren.