Katharine Southerland Miller Johnson, 64, a political activist and conservationist who had worked in Democratic presidential campaigns in the 1980s and helped lobby for appropriations for Point Reyes National Seashore in California in the 1960s and 1970s, died of cancer Jan. 9 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Johnson was born in Wilmington, Del., where her father, Clarence A. Southerland, was chief justice of the Delaware Supreme Court and her mother, Katharine Virden Southerland, was author of best-selling mystery novels of the 1920s.

She attended Bryn Mawr College and in 1946 married Clement W. Miller. They moved to California in 1948 and came to the Washington area in 1958, when he was elected a Democratic member of the House of Representatives. Shortly before his death in a 1962 airplane crash, her husband was author of legislation creating Point Reyes National Seashore.

Mrs. Johnson's lobbying on behalf of the seashore included urging appropriations for land acquisition purposes and for the establishment of a wilderness area within the park.

In 1965, she married Stuart H. Johnson Jr., former counsel for the House Judiciary Committee. He died in 1982.

During the 1980s, Mrs. Johnson had worked in the presidential campaigns of Sens. Alan Cranston (D-Calif.) and Gary Hart (D-Colo.) and of former vice president Walter Mondale.

She was co-author in 1984 of "From the Door of the White House," the memoirs of Preston Bruce, White House doorman in the 1950s and 1960s.

Survivors include five daughters of her first marriage, Abigail Miller and Clare Miller Watsky, both of San Francisco, Marion Miller of Eureka, Calif., Amey Miller of Chapel Hill, N.C., and Katharine Miller of Boston; a daughter of her second marriage, Eunice Johnson of Boston; three stepchildren, Stuart H. Johnson III of New York City, Tom W. Johnson of Baltimore and Willow Johnson of Washington; a sister, Clare Bailey of Wakefield, R.I.; and eight grandchildren.


Church Musician

Margaret Louise Frank Garthoff, 88, retired director of music at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Alexandria and a former music teacher at Alexandria's St. Stephen's School, died Jan. 6 at Alexandria Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Garthoff, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Davenport, Iowa. She studied music at James Millikin University and Conservatory in Decatur, Ill. Before moving to the Washington area in 1935, she lived in Cairo, where her husband was bursar at American University.

She was director of music at Second Presbyterian Church in Alexandria until 1949, when she began 30 years as music director at Emmanuel. Her duties there included directing the choir and serving as organist. In 1949, she also began a 23-year career as music teacher at St. Stephen's School.

She had taught private voice and piano lessons and sang in choral groups and as a concert soloist in addition to her church music.

Mrs. Garthoff was a member of the Friday Morning Music Club and a former dean of the Northern Virginia chapter of the American Guild of Organists.

She had traveled abroad frequently and written travelogues about her trips, which she shared with friends.

Her husband, Arnold Alexander Garthoff, died in 1976.

Survivors include three sons, Raymond L. Garthoff of Washington, Stanley D. Garthoff of Akron, Ohio, and Douglas F. Garthoff of Alexandria; a sister, Florence P. Frank of Alexandria; five grandsons; and two great-grandchildren.


Treasury Program Administrator

Anthony V. DiSilvestre, 58, a senior program manager at the Treasury Department, died of cancer Jan. 3 at his home in Vienna.

He was a federal program administrator for nearly 30 years, starting as a management intern with the Internal Revenue Service in Syracuse, N.Y., and Brooklyn, N.Y.

He came here in 1961 to work for the IRS and later was a program administrator with the departments of Housing and Urban Development, Labor and the Air Force and the Office of Education.

He transferred to Treasury in 1971, but also worked for several years during the 1980s on loan to the Emergency Mobilization Preparedness Branch, where he developed plans for mobilization. He had received a number of government awards for outstanding performance as a senior manager.

Mr. DiSilvestre was a native of New York City and a graduate of Grinnell College, where he received a bachelor's degree in political science and history. He also had attended graduate school at the University of Michigan.

He belonged to the Knights of Columbus, was a former vice president of the McLean High School PTA and was on the board of the Shouse Village Community Center.

Mr. DiSilvestre was a member of the St. Mark's Catholic Church Parish Council, taught confirmation classes for the parish and ran its Cuban Refugee Committee. He also was active in the parish program for independent living for the elderly.

He coached soccer for Vienna Soccer and was an assistant Boy Scout leader.

Survivors include his wife, Audrey Miller DiSilvestre of Vienna; two sons, Ted DiSilvestre of San Jose and George DiSilvestre of Vienna; two daughters, Alexis DiSilvestre and Andrea DiSilvestre, both of Vienna.


Editor and Advertising Executive

Francis J. Bruguiere Jr., 86, a retired San Francisco magazine editor and advertising executive who had lived in Reston since 1975, died Jan. 8 at the Woodbine Nursing and Convalescent Center in Alexandria of complications after a stroke suffered more than a year ago.

Mr. Bruguiere was born in Charlotte, N.C., and reared in San Fransicso. He graduated from Dartmouth College and later worked in the film industry in Los Angeles and as an editorial assistant in New York.

He spent most of his career in San Francisco, where he had been editor of Shell Progress, the in house publication of Shell Oil Co.; editor-in-chief of Western Advertising magazine and president of the San Francisco Advertising Club. He had also operated his own advertising agency. He retired in 1972 and worked as an advertising consultant before moving to this area in 1975.

A lifelong tennis enthusiast, Mr. Bruguiere worked in the tennis program of the Reston Homeowners Association.

His wife of 56 years, the former Kathleen Huntingdon, died in 1989.

Survivors include two children, Kathleen Bruguiere Anderson of McLean and Sather Bruguiere of Louisville; a stepdaughter, Patricia Sully Ballad of New York City; and five granddaughters.


Army Lieutenant Colonel

Milton H. Hagemann, 73, a retired lieutenant colonel with the Army Engineer Corps, died Jan. 7 of congestive heart failure at Fairfax Hospital.

He was a native of Washington and a graduate of Eastern High School. He had lived in Annandale for 37 years.

Col. Hagemann entered the Army Engineer Corps in 1939 and served during World War II in the Pacific. After service in Korea in the Korean War, he was assigned to posts in Germany and France. He retired from the Army in 1963.

He worked for Woodward and Lothrop as a salesman and was a driver improvement analyst for the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles for six years until he retired in 1980.

His service decorations included the Bronze Star.

Col. Hagemann was a member of the Elmer Timberman Masonic Lodge and a Shriner with Kena Temple.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Mary Gertrude Hagemann of Annandale; a daughter, Barbara H. Hester of Manassas; two sons, James M. Hagemann of Ashland, Ore., and Joseph F. Hagemann of Vienna; a stepbrother, John C. Stein of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and seven grandchildren.


Patent Appeals Board Member

Arthur H. Behrens, 80, a retired member of the U.S. Patent Office board of appeals, died Jan. 8 of a stroke in a Bremerton, Wash., nursing home. A resident of Washington and Arlington from the mid-1930s until his retirement in 1972, he lived in Silverdale, Wash.

Mr. Behrens was a native of Seattle and a chemical engineering graduate of the University of Washington. He had a juris doctor degree from George Washington University law school.

After working briefly for the Agriculture Adjustment Administration and the Bureau of Standards, Mr. Behrens joined the patent office as a junior examiner of chemical patents in 1936.

He later transferred to the solicitor's office, where he represented the office in patent appeals. In 1959 he helped reorganize the patent board and soon thereafter was appointed to the board of appeals.

Mr. Behrens is survived by his wife, Anne K. Behrens of Silverdale; a son, Stephen A. Behrens, of Washington; a brother, Howard Behrens, of Guanacevi, Mexico; and a sister, Marjorie Munro of Tracyton, Wash.


NSA Staff Officer

Giles Philip Connolly, 58, a retired cryptologic staff officer with the National Security Agency, died of cancer Jan. 6 at his home in Mitchellville.

He worked at NSA for nearly 35 years in staff, technical and managerial positions and retired in 1989.

A native of Providence, R.I., Mr. Connolly served in the Air Force for four years before joining the National Security Agency. He attended George Washington University and the University of Maryland.

He had lived in this area since 1951.

Mr. Connolly was a member of St. Pius X Catholic Church in Bowie and had coached basketball for the Bowie Boys and Girls Club.

Survivors include his wife, Ann Dowd Connolly of Mitchellville; a son, James John Connolly of Somerville, Mass.; and two daughters, Ann Maura Connolly of Washington and Mary Frances Connolly of Arlington.


Church Group President

Bessie C. Freeman, 90, president emeritus of the Ladies First Aid Union of Churches, died Jan. 6 of pneumonia at Washington Hospital Center. She had lived in Washington since she was a child.

A native of Danville, Va., Mrs. Freeman worked as a seamstress for more than 50 years in downtown Washington. She retired in 1969.

She was president of the first aid group, an organization of women who provide nursing help at about 80 Washington churches, for 22 years.

Mrs. Freeman served on the board of directors of the Washington chapter of the American Red Cross from 1969 until 1985, and also was a volunteer at Children's Hospital.

She had been a member of Mount Airy Baptist Church since 1915.

She is survived by her husband, James D. Freeman of Washington.


Government Relations Specialist

George L. Patten Jr., 49, founder of Florida Business Associates, a government relations and lobbying firm, died Jan. 6 of cancer at his home in St. Augustine, Fla. He also had a home in Annandale.

Mr. Patten was legislative director for former Sen. Lawton Chiles Jr. (D-Fla.) from 1971 to 1981, when he started the government relations company.

He was born in Tallahassee, Fla., and grew up in Starke, Fla. He was a communications graduate of the University of Florida.

His marriage to Kelly Hourdequin ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Janet Patten of St. Augustine and Annandale, and a daughter, Lisa Patten of St. Petersburg, Fla.


Washington Dry Cleaner

Goldie Zulin, 94, a former dry cleaner in Washington's Mount Pleasant neighborhood, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 1 at her home in Rockville.

Mrs. Zulin moved here from Philadelphia in 1921, and with her husband, Jacob Zulin, operated Zulin's Cleaners and Dyers until they closed the business in 1965.

Mrs. Zulin, a native of Pogoslav in the Ukraine, came to this country in 1904.

She was a founding member in 1933 of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Joseph W. Barr Post 58 of the Jewish War Veterans. She served as chaplain of the organization for 30 years and as director of its hospital volunteer programs.

She belonged to Hadassah and B'Nai Israel Congregation in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, of Rockville; a son, Robert Zulin of Sun City, Calif.; a daughter, Lois J. Cohen of Alexandria; a sister, Mollie Merelman of Bethesda; and three brothers, Israel Segal of Washington, Percy Segal of Rockville and Louis Segal of Chevy Chase.



Williamson Churchill George, 94, a retired printer who had worked for the Washington Times-Herald and for the Washington Star, died of pneumonia Jan 8 at Roland Park Place Health Care Center in Baltimore.

Mr. George was born in Washington and reared in Culpeper. He began his career as a printer at the Culpeper Exponent, then in the 1920s moved to Washington and began working at the Times-Herald.

Later he moved to California, but returned to this area in the 1930s and worked at the Times-Herald until 1954, when the newspaper was acquired by The Washington Post. He continued working as a printer at the Star until retiring in 1960.

In retirement, Mr. George had traveled extensively in the United States and Europe. He moved from Washington to Greenville, N.C., about 1970 and since 1985 had lived in Baltimore.

His first wife, Maud W. George, died in 1936, His second wife, Salome A. George, died in 1977.

Survivors include a daughter from his first marriage, Barbara G. Colquitt of Bethesda; two granddaughters; and two great-grandchildren.


Newspaper Circulation Director

John E. Cullen Jr., 79, circulation director from 1955 to 1973 of the Annapolis Evening Capital, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 8 at the Cape Coral (Fla.) Hospital. He had homes in Edgewater and Ft. Myers, Fla.

Mr. Cullen, who started at the newspaper as circulation manager, worked from 1932 to 1953 as a distributor for the Washington Times-Herald and The Washington Post.

He was a native of Catonsville, Md., and had attended the U.S. Naval Academy.

His wife, Melissa Lacey Cullen, died in 1981.

Survivors include a son, John E. Cullen III of Edgewater; a brother, Brother Nilus of La Paz, Bolivia; a sister, Fay Schlag of Fenwick Island, Del.; four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.



Herbert A. Corridon, 80, a retired plumber, died of cancer Jan. 7 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Corridon was born in Washington.

He was a plumber all his working life, specializing in the construction of commercial and government office buildings. He retired at the age of 65.

His wife of 43 years, the former Dorothy Elizabeth Lanahan, died in 1977.

Survivors include four children, Loretta A. Walker of Lorton, Michael P. Corridon of Lyons, Wis., George J. Corridon of Waldorf, and Paul F. Corridon of Charlottesville; a brother, LeRoy Corridon of Ellicott City; nine grandchildren; and a great-grandson.