The obituary of Katherine DeMelman on Friday incorrectly reported the names of her late husband, Walter W. DeMelman, and a stepson, Walter W. DeMelman Jr. (Published 1/15/91)

Ann Demaitre, 69, an associate professor of French at the University of Maryland, died of cancer Jan. 9 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Demaitre, who lived in Washington, was born in Budapest and received her early education in Switzerland.

After World War II, she worked for the Hungarian Restitution Commission at Allied Headquarters in Frankfurt and Paris, then in 1947 was recalled to Hungary by the Communist government there. Instead, she came to the United States.

She graduated from Barnard College, received a master's degree in library science from Columbia University and a master's degree in French from the University of California at Berkeley. She received a doctorate in French from the University of Maryland.

She had been a member of the faculty in the French department at the University of Maryland since 1960. Earlier, she had taught French at the University of Maryland branch in Munich in the late 1950s, and had worked at Cooper Union in New York and at the Army medical library in Washington when she was living in this area in the early 1950s.

She was a member of French and Hungarian literary clubs.

Survivors include her husband, Edmund Demaitre of Washington; a stepdaughter, Christina Wolfe of Brookline, Mass.; and two stepgrandchildren.


Civic Leader

Joan K. Lamphere, 57, president of the Women's Auxiliary to Washington Hospital Center from 1982 to 1986 and its recent treasurer, died Jan. 7 of cardiac arrest at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Bethesda and Stark, N.H.

A fifth-generation Washingtonian, Mrs. Lamphere was the daughter of the late Samuel H. Kauffmann, president of the Evening Star Newspaper Co. She attended Bryn Mawr College and received a bachelor's degree in English from American University.

Mrs. Lamphere was active in civic affairs here for more than 35 years. She was president of the Women's Guild of Emergency Hospital and served on the board of directors of Washington Hospital Center. She belonged to the Junior League of Washington and was a past president of the Junior Goodwill Guild.

She was former president of the Weathervane Theatre of Whitefield, N.H., and belonged to the Percy Summer Club.

Mrs. Lamphere is survived by her husband, George E. Lamphere of Bethesda, president of Chas. H. Tompkins construction company; four children, Barbara L. Felling of Washington, Elizabeth L. Craig of Bethesda, George S. Lamphere of Berlin, N.H., and Jessie K. Lamphere of Bethesda; a brother, Samuel H. Kauffmann of Palm Springs, Calif.; and three grandchildren.


Interior Decorator

Margaret Barringer Weller, 98, a longtime Washington resident who had been an interior decorator, died of emphysema Jan. 10 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Weller was born in Charlottesville and came to this area during World War I to work for the Navy Department. Later she was a self-employed interior decorator.

Her husband, Joseph Weller, died about 1960.

Survivors include a daughter, Nancy Weller Pierrepont of Far Hills, N.J.; four grandchildren and a great-grandchild.


Washington Dentist

Henry A. Swanson, 97, a dentist in Washington for nearly 60 years, died of heart disease Jan. 7 at the Fernwood House nursing home in Bethesda. He had lived in this area since 1912.

Dr. Swanson was a past president of the American College of Dentists, the American Association of Dental Examiners and the D.C. Dental Society.

A native of Stillwater, Minn., he worked at the Civil Service Commission before studying dentistry. He graduated from George Washington University in 1920.

He worked for the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries in Alaska, conducting a dental survey of Eskimos, and returned to Washington in 1921 to enter private practice. He retired in 1979 at the age of 86.

Dr. Swanson was the D.C. Dental Society's dentist of the year in 1963, had served on committees of the American Dental Association and was secretary of the D.C. Board of Dental Examiners for five years.

He also had served as a consultant to the National Research Council and the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and was chairman of the dental section of the S.S. Hope hospital ship in 1960.

He was named an honorary fellow of the American Academy of Oral Pathology. Among his other honors was the William John Geis Award of the American College of Dentists.

Dr. Swanson's wife, Roberta Weber Swanson, died in 1975.

Survivors include a daughter, Margaret E. Swason of Elkhorn, Wis.; and two sons, Dr. John H. Swanson of Bethesda and Dr. Robert W. Swanson of Ocean City, Md.; three grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Director of Hospital Volunteers

Katherine L. DeMelman, 78, director of volunteer services at Columbia Hospital for Women from 1964 to 1984, died Dec. 24 of cardiopulmonary arrest at George Washington University Hospital.

She had lived in Washington since 1941, when she came here to work as a nurse. She was director of volunteer services at Washington Hospital Center from 1958 to 1964.

A native of Chautauqua, N.Y., Mrs. DeMelman was a graduate of the school of nursing at Presbyterian Hospital of the City of New York, where she worked as a staff nurse for six years before moving here.

As director of volunteer services, she recruited, trained and scheduled volunteers, many of them former nurses whom she encouraged to donate their time. At Columbia she also established a volunteer chaplaincy program, quarterly blood drives and an employee credit union.

She had served as co-chairman of the Health and Welfare Council of the National Capital Area, chairman of the volunteer directors division of the Hospital Council, and was active with the Red Cross, the Volunteer Resources Council and the Metropolitan Community Ministry Association.

Six months ago, she was given a lifetime award from the Volunteer Clearinghouse of the District of Columbia, which she helped found.

Her husband, Walter W. McHugh, died in 1974.

Survivors include two step-children, Ann D. McHugh of Potomac, and Walter W. McHugh Jr. of Washington; five grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


AID Official

Carl Richardson Markwith, 77, a retired official of the Agency for International Development who also had worked for the National Geographic Society, died of cancer Dec. 21 at his home in Palm Bay, Fla.

Mr. Markwith was born in Baltimore.

He moved to Washington in 1935 and joined the staff of National Geographic. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific. After the war he returned to National Geographic, where his duties involved service as a technician in the lecture department with responsibility for sound and production at lectures. He also had served for three years as a pilot for flights involving aerial photography.

In 1955, Mr. Markwith joined the staff of Photogrammetry Inc. as a research and development specialist. He joined AID in 1960 as a communications media specialist and served five years in Tehran, 18 months in Liberia and 6 1/2 years in Saigon. At his retirement in 1975, he was assigned in Washington to the agency's international training staff.

On his retirement, Mr. Markwith moved from Washington to Palm Bay.

His wife, Rose Treanor Markwith, died in 1973.

Survivors include a daughter, Frances Markwith of Lower Marlboro, Md.; and a brother, Franklin R. Markwith of Winchester, Va.