Two off-duty D.C. police officers, one of them armed with his service revolver, were abducted at gunpoint early yesterday morning in what authorities said was an apparent robbery attempt.

The bizarre kidnapping, which began in a parking lot in Northeast Washington about 2 a.m., included a brief shootout after one of the officers escaped, and ended some time later when the second officer was found unharmed in the trunk of a car.

No one was injured in the incident. One suspect, armed with a Tech-9 semiautomatic weapon, was arrested after a chase and charged with kidnapping. A second man was being sought yesterday afternoon by police, who were still trying to unravel the sequence of events.

Lt. Reginald Smith, a police spokesman, said the incident began in the parking lot of the 7-Eleven store at Minnesota Avenue and Benning Road NE.

The two suspects approached three men, Officers Marc A. Little, 22, and Ronald B. Bailey Jr., 21, and a 22-year-old man whose name was not released.

One of the suspects, later identified as Vincent A. Jones, 19, pointed the Tech-9 and ordered Bailey and the unidentified man into a red Geo, police said.

Little was ordered to get into his own car, a green BMW, by the second suspect.

The car carrying Jones, the unidentified victim and Bailey, who is assigned to the 6th District and was armed, was driven to 21st and H streets NE.

There, Smith said, Jones apparently panicked when he saw two other police officers who were responding to an unrelated incident.

Jones, carrying his weapon, jumped out of the car and was immediately spotted by the two other officers, Smith said.

Bailey, with his weapon drawn, got out of the car, and there was a brief exchange of gunfire, Smith said.

Jones, of 800 Bellevue Street SE, was chased and captured a short distance away, in the rear of the 700 block of 21st Street NE. The Tech-9 also was recovered.

Little, the second officer, was later found inside the trunk of the Geo, which was parked at Fifth and Trenton streets SE.

The police department requires officers to carry their weapons while off duty.

A police source said Little, who is assigned to the 5th District, did not have his service revolver. Smith said the incident is being investigated.

Police recovered some money inside one of the cars -- the exact amount could not be learned -- and this led police to the preliminary conclusion that the motive for the abduction may have been money.

Both officers were appointed to the department in July 1989.

Smith said neither appears to have known the two men who abducted them.