Janet Woodbury Adams, 60, a former secretary-treasurer of the Washington chapter of the Save Venice organization, died Jan. 13 at her home in Shenandoah Junction, W.Va.

She was an authority on the history of decorative arts and author of "The Decorative Folding Screens," published by Viking in 1982. She also had served as a curator of a 1984 National Gallery exhibition, "The Folding Image."

Mrs. Adams, who lived in Washington from 1969 to 1979, was a native of Kansas City, Mo., and a graduate of Smith College.

Survivors include her husband, William Howard Adams of Shenandoah Junction; a son, William S. II, of New York City; two daughters, Sarah W. Adams of Ithaca, N.Y., and Mary Adams Chatham of New York City; and a sister, Josephine Weltmer of Kansas City and California.


Uniform Company Owner

David Wise Jr., 67, retired owner of Harry Kaufman Inc., a Washington industrial and institutional clothing contractor, died of cancer Jan. 11 at his home in Chevy Chase.

He was a native of Washington and had retired two years ago, after 40 years as a businessman here.

Mr. Wise was a graduate of Woodrow Wilson High School, Harvard University and Benjamin Franklin University. He served with the Coast Guard during World War II.

Mr. Wise was president from 1968 to 1970 of the Washington Hebrew Congregation and continued as a member of its board. He also served on the board of the Jewish Social Service Agency and belonged to Woodmont Country Club. Since his retirement he had been a volunteer for the Jewish Foundation for Group Homes and the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind.

Survivors include his wife, Marjorie M. Wise, and a daughter, Babette Wise Denis, both of Chevy Chase; two sons, Barry Wise of Bethesda and David Wise III of Washington; two sisters, Audrey Miller and Elaine Silverstein, both of Bethesda; and four grandchildren.


Volunteer Activist

Elizabeth Wells "Libby" Mitchell, 72, an area resident since the mid-1940s who had been active in church and community volunteer work, died of cancer Jan. 11 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Chevy Chase.

She was a past president of the Volunteer Corps at Sibley and had done volunteer work with Meals-on-Wheels in Georgetown and with Circle Manor nursing home in Kensington, and had served on the board of Iona House, a Washington halfway house for women. She was a member of Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church in Washington, chapter J of the PEO Sisterhood and the International Inner Wheel Club.

Mrs. Mitchell was a native of Leicester, N.C. She attended Asheville Teachers College in North Carolina and received a bachelor's degree from the University of North Carolina.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, Frank T., of Chevy Chase; two sons, Stephen, of Seattle, and Thomas, of Germantown, Md.; two daughters, Barbara Mitchell of Bowie and Linda Robbins of Silver Spring; two brothers, Claude B. Wells of Asheville, N.C., and Cecil Wells of Leicester; and three granddaughters.


Self-Employed Inventor

James R. Trice Jr., 65, a Frederick resident who had been a self-employed inventor since the late 1950s, died Jan. 9 in Martinsburg, W.Va., at the Veterans Administration Hospital, where he was being treated for a stroke and heart attack.

He held a number of patents, including one involving the use of lasers in pipe-laying operations. Before devoting his time to his inventions, he had been an engineer and had operated his own construction company.

Mr. Trice was a native of Arlington and graduate of Washington-Lee High School. He attended the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and Princeton University. During World War II, he served with the Navy in the Pacific theater.

He was a member of the Elks and the American Legion.

His marriages to Zada Trice and Frances Trice ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children by his first marriage, James III, of Arlington, and Mary E. Trice of Annandale.


School Librarian

Ruth Goodenough Ryan, 77, a librarian at Falls Church High School from 1961 until retiring in 1978, died Jan. 11 in Alexandria at The Hermitage retirement center, where she had lived since the mid-1980s. She had a stroke.

Mrs. Ryan, a former Falls Church resident, was a native of Massachusetts. She received bachelor's and master's degrees in history from Boston University and a master's degree in library science from the State University of New York at Albany.

She was a member of Mount Olivet United Methodist Church in Arlington.

Her husband, Stephan, died in 1971. Her survivors include a son, Stephen, of Las Cruces, N.M.; three daughters, Jane Van Epps of Springfield, Margaret W. Ryan of Brussels, and Abigail E. Ryan of San Bernardino, Calif.; and three grandchildren.


FBI Employee

Ruth A. Wood, 74, a retired FBI employee who was a co-founder and past president and chairman of the Society of Former FBI Women, died of emphysema Jan. 12 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. She lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Wood, who was a native of Oklahoma, came here and joined the FBI in 1935. She retired in 1972 as an administrative supervisor in its leave and retirement section.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the PEO Sisterhood. She had attended George Washington University.

Her husband, James C., died in 1974. Survivors include three sons, James Jr., of Lexington, Mass., John H., of Richardson, Tex., and Leonard W., of Atlanta; a sister, Helen Weymouth of Lincolnton, N.C.; and six grandchildren.


Navy Administrative Aide

Dorothy M. Krawiec, 72, a retired administrative assistant with the Naval ground support equipment division, died of cancer Dec. 18 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Miss Krawiec had lived in Arlington since 1950, when she moved here from Springfield, Mass., to work for the Naval Air Systems Command. She was a native of Chicopee Falls, Mass., and a graduate of American International College in Springfield. Before that, she had worked for Baldwin-Duckworth Co. in Springfield and taught business and history at Danville (Vt.) High School.

Survivors include a brother, Robert Krawiec of Boonton, N.J.


Washington Merchant

Edward C. Whitley, 82, a former Washington merchant and District native who moved to New Jersey in 1970, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 30 at his home in Williamstown, N.J.

Mr. Whitley was a graduate of Dunbar High School. He was a caddy at Chevy Chase Country Club before operating a window-washing business from about 1930 to 1938. After that, he operated several businesses, including a grocery off Benning Road NE and a service station, before leaving this area.

His wife, Gertrude, died in August. His survivors include a son, Edward Jr., of Williamstown; two sisters, Mary Ward of Washington and Gloria Anderson of Silver Spring; and two grandchildren.