Hilding L. Dahlgren, 77, who worked for the FBI for 31 years before retiring in 1973 as assistant chief of its documents section, died of cancer Jan. 12 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center. He lived in Temple Hills.

Mr. Dahlgren, a handwriting expert, joined the FBI in 1942 and became a special agent two years later. He spent his entire career in the Washington area before retiring from the bureau laboratory. After his retirement, he maintained a private practice as a documents examiner and taught courses in forensic sciences at George Washington University. He retired again later in the 1970s.

He was a 1935 graduate of Gustavus Adolphus College in his native Minnesota. Before moving here and joining the FBI in 1942, he had been a teacher and school administrator in Minnesota for seven years.

He was a member of Augustana Lutheran Church in Washington, where he had served on the church board and been active in the choir. He was a member of the Society of Former Agents of the FBI and the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

Survivors include his wife, the former Margaret Loff, of Temple Hills; two sons, David C., of St. Paul, Minn., and Robert A., of London; a brother, Henry, of Sacred Heart, Minn.; a sister, Mabel Pates of Olivia, Minn.; and four grandchildren.


Interior Department Employee

Colether Faye Foushee, 45, a payroll technician with the Interior Department, died of cancer Jan. 9 at the home of her mother in Greensboro, N.C.

Mrs. Foushee, a native of Asheboro, N.C., had lived in Washington since 1964. She had worked as a clerk at the Treasury Department and as a payroll supervisor at the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Selective Service. She had been at Interior since 1988.

She was active in programs of Maple Springs Baptist Church in Boulevard Heights, including its home and prison ministry and nurses unit.

Survivors include her husband, Thomas H. Foushee, a son, Derrick, and two daughters, Alisa Foushee and Phoebe Foushee, all of Washington; her father, Henry A. Walden of Asheboro; her mother, Mary W. Eubanks of Greensboro; and three sisters, Almaka Sellars and Aquinittia Collins, both of Greensboro, and Shirley Young of Suitland.



Arline Conrad, 81, a former Washington Girl Scout leader who had also operated the handicraft program at All Souls Unitarian Church here, died Jan. 8 at her home in Visalia, Calif., after a heart attack.

Mrs. Conrad was born in Chicago and raised in Detroit, and lived here from 1933 to 1965. She was a government secretary as a young woman. She was a census taker in the 1960 census and had worked part time conducting surveys for the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

She was a bridge player and a member of Friendship Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Her husband, Henry Conrad, died in 1979. Survivors include two children, Christine Siedzik of Visalia and Peter Conrad of Walnut, Calif.; a sister, Camille Wiley of Springfield; two half-brothers, Max Nowicki of Milford, Conn., and Robert Nowicki of Trumbull, Conn.; and a half-sister, Dorothy Bean of Bridgeport, Conn.


General's Widow

Magdalan P. Grahl, 93, an area resident since 1950 and widow of a retired Army brigadier general, died of pneumonia Jan. 9 in Gaithersburg at the Wilson Health Care Center, where she had spent the past 10 years.

Mrs. Grahl, a former Bethesda resident and Illinois native, was a graduate of Drake University in Iowa. She was a reporter and movie critic with the Des Moines Register newspaper before her 1923 marriage to Charles H. Grahl. He died in 1981.

She was a member of Bethesda United Methodist Church, the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Welcome Wagon, the Friends of Clara Barton, the League of Women Voters and the ladies club of the Reserve Officers Association.

Survivors include two sons, retired Air Force Col. Charles P. Grahl of Greenville, Ohio, and Robert L. Grahl of Potomac; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Lifelong Area Resident

Margaret Crittenden Barber, 92, a lifelong area resident who belonged to church, social and patriotic organizations, died of pneumonia Jan. 5 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Barber, who was a native of Washington, was a member of National Baptist Memorial Church in the District, as well as the Washington, Chevy Chase Women's, and Bethesda Garden clubs. She also was a member of the Society of Colonial Dames, the Order of the First Families of Virginia and the Society of the Lees of Virginia.

Her husband, Charles Wightman Barber, died about 1978. She leaves no immediate survivors.