Roger Wellington Tubby, 80, press secretary to President Truman and assistant secretary of state for public affairs during the Kennedy administration, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 14 at his home in Saranac Lake, N.Y.

Mr. Tubby had been a government public affairs spokesman for eight years when he was named assistant secretary to Truman in 1950. He served as press secretary in the final months of the Truman administration in 1952.

Regarded as low-key on the job, he became a strong advocate of less restriction on the release of official information. But he acknowledged at a gathering of former presidential press secretaries in 1982 that there had been times when he "had no comment when, perhaps, I should have or could have said something about an issue."

In 1961, when he was being confirmed as assistant secretary under Secretary of State Dean Rusk, Mr. Tubby told members of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that government needed to be "a lot tougher in handling information," even in the face of charges of censorship. He said that in answer to questions about controversial news leaks.

Mr. Tubby was given the rank of ambassador in 1962, when he was named U.S. representative to the European office of the United Nations, a post he held until 1969. He represented this country in the various international agencies based in Geneva, including the World Health Organization, the International Labor Organization and other technical and economic groups.

Mr. Tubby was a native of Greenwich, Conn., and a graduate of Yale University. He did graduate study at Yale and at the London School of Economics. He began as a journalist in 1938 as a reporter for the Bennington (Vt.) Banner, where he became managing editor. He later returned to the field as co-publisher of the Adirondack Daily Enterprise and owner of the Lake Placid News in New York.

Mr. Tubby came to Washington in 1942, and served in various government information posts here from 1942 until his White House appointment. Among his assignments were the Board of Economic Warfare, the Foreign Economic Administration, the Commerce Department's Office of International Trade and the State Department.

He also taught at Plattsburgh State University and at Paul Smith's College in upstate New York, where he also was director of development from 1972 to 1975. He ran unsuccessfully as a Democratic candidate for Congress from New York in 1974, and was a deputy commissioner of the New York State Department of Parks and Recreation from 1975 to 1977.

During the 1956 presidential campaign he was an assistant to Democratic Party nominee Adlai E. Stevenson and later was news director of the Democratic National Committee.

He last lived in Washington from 1969 to 1972, when he was acting dean of the Foreign Service Institute. He served several terms as president of the Adirondack Park Association and as a member of the New York Advisory Committee on Natural Resources.

Survivors include his wife, Anne Tubby of Saranac Lake, N.Y.; a son, Roger P. Tubby of Adamstown, Md.; three daughters, Suzanne W.T. Batra of Greenbelt, Prentiss T. Sherwood of Rockville and Brenda T. Chandler of Portland, Maine; his mother, Frances Olitsky of Greenwich, Conn.; a sister, Ruth Rubenstein of London; and nine grandchildren.


CIA Case Officer

Joseph L. Culbertson, 69, a retired case officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, died of a heart attack Jan. 13 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in McLean.

Mr. Culbertson joined the CIA in 1952 and served as an operative in Laos and Thailand until 1964, when he was stationed here. He retired in 1973.

Mr. Culbertson was a native of Kansas City, Mo. He served in the Navy on a subchaser in the Atlantic during World War II. After the war, he received a bachelor's degree at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and a master's degree in international relations at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.

Mr. Culbertson worked as a foreign sales representative for Texaco in New York and what was then the Belgian Congo and as a representative of a U.S. publishing consortium in Indonesia before joining the CIA.

After he retired he taught business classes and became active in civic organizations in McLean, including the McLean Citizens Association.

He belonged to the American Revolution Roundtable, the Civil War Roundtable, the Manuscript Society and St. Thomas Episcopal Church in McLean.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Mary Stanley Culbertson of McLean; two sons, Joseph W. Culbertson of Falls Church and Edward S. Culbertson of McLean; a daughter, Mary Alden Culbertson of Falls Church; a sister, Eleanor W. Culbertson of Kansas City; and two granddaughters.


Musician and Consultant

Robert H. Swingle, 63, a consultant and musician who was a member of the Moose and Elks, was found dead Jan. 10 at his home in Galesville, Md. He had had a heart attack.

For the past 12 years, he had played the drums at the Topside restaurant in Galesville and had been a consultant in the moving and storage business. From 1969 to 1979, he was president of Duncan Transfer in Alexandria.

Mr. Swingle, who was born in New Jersey, served in the Navy from 1945 to 1949 and in the Marine Corps from 1949 to 1952. He had worked as a musician and in the moving and storage business before coming here from Maine in 1969. In the late 1950s, he had performed in a band on a Norfolk television station.

His marriage to Kathleen Swingle ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Robert, of Annapolis; three daughters, Patricia Swingle of West River, Md., and Kathleen and Theresa Swingle, both of Laurel; a sister, Marcella Thielemann of Palisades, N.J.; and two grandchildren.


Howard U. Professor

Marie C. Taylor, 89, a retired Howard University professor and botany department chairman who was a member of All Souls Unitarian Church in Washington, died Dec. 28 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

She had served on the Howard faculty from 1949 until retiring as department chairman in 1975.

Dr. Taylor, an area resident since about 1920 who lived in Washington, was a native of Pittsburgh. She was a graduate Howard University and earned a doctorate in botany at Fordham University. She taught at Cardozo High School in the late 1930s and early 1940s, then served with the Red Cross in the Pacific during World War II.

Her husband, Richard E. Taylor, died in 1986. Survivors include a son, Duane, of Washington; a sister, Alice Gaines of Washington; and two grandsons.



Dorothy Fisk Eichenlaub, 75, a nurse who had worked periodically in physicians' offices in Washington for a total of about 10 years, died of cancer Jan. 13 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Eichenlaub was born in Washington. She graduated from Central High School and the Lucy Webb Hayes School of Nursing at the old Sibley Hospital.

She had served on the ladies board of Georgetown University Hospital and done volunteer driving for Meals-on-Wheels in Bethesda. She was a member of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Washington and the Westmoreland Hills Garden Club.

Her husband, Frank J. Eichenlaub, died in 1972. Survivors include three children, Jane E. Sunier of Rosman, N.C., Frank J. Eichenlaub III of Redford, Mich., and John E. Eichenlaub of Fort Myers, Fla.; a sister, Katherine Fisk Bartley of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.