Charles Marriner Bertholf, 78, a retired Navy captain who later served seven years as chief of the Central Intelligence Agency's operations center, died of cancer Jan. 14 at Alexandria Hospital.

Capt. Bertholf served 35 years in the Navy before his retirement in 1965. During World War II he was commanding officer of the destroyer Callaghan, which was sunk by Japanese kamikaze aircraft off Okinawa. He was awarded a Navy Cross, the Navy's highest award after the Medal of Honor, for his actions during this engagement.

Later in his military career, Capt. Bertholf specialized in naval intelligence. He served as assistant naval attache' in Stockholm and as naval attache' in Brussels and The Hague. His last assignment before retiring was in London on the staff of the commander in chief of U.S. Navy forces in Europe.

After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1934 he had served aboard light cruisers and destroyers. He was posted at Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941, brought the United States into World War II.

During the Korean War, he commanded an amphibious ship off Wonsan.

His other military decorations included two Bronze Stars.

Capt. Bertholf was born in San Francisco. He settled in Alexandria after his retirement from the Navy and worked seven years for the CIA before retiring permanently. He had lived for one month each year on the island of Ibiza in the Mediterranean.

He enjoyed power boating on the Potomac.

His first wife, the former Katie Collins, died in 1953. Survivors include his wife, Terry Bertholf of Alexandria; their daughter, Brenda Bertholf of Washington; three children from his first marriage, Katherine Nichols of Concord, Mass., Charles M. Bertholf Jr. and Lisa Cafritz, both of Washington; and seven grandchildren.


Defense Dept. Engineer

John F. Picco, 73, a former Defense Department engineer and retired captain in the Navy Reserve, died Jan. 12 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Arlington.

He began his civilian career with the Defense Department in 1958 as an official of the Naval Facilities Engineering Command. In 1967, he transferred here and worked for the Pentagon on installations and logistics projects before retiring in 1978.

Capt. Picco had served in the Pacific during World War II and returned to active duty during the Korean War. He retired from the reserves in 1978.

He was a recipient of the Defense Department's Meritorious Civilian Service Award. He was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington, had coached a boys' basketball team in Annandale, and had been a volunteer at St. Elizabeths Hospital in Washington. He was a member of the National and Virginia societies of Professional Engineers, and the American Institute of Plant Engineers.

Capt. Picco was a native of New York City and was a civil engineering graduate of the Georgia Institute of Technology. Before joining Navy, he had worked as an engineer with the Frederick R. Harris Co. in New York.

His first wife, the former Rose Marian Hogan, died in 1969. Survivors include his wife, Gerda M., of Arlington; a son, Navy Reserve Capt. John J. Picco of Annandale; three sisters, Ann Miller of North Fort Myers, Fla., Louise Schalk of Clearwater, Fla., and Norma Marino of of Manhasset, N.Y.; and four grandchildren.


Railroad Executive

Richard H. Hart, 88, a retired railroad executive who was active in church and Masonic groups, died of kidney failure Jan. 9 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mr. Hart joined the old Chesapeake Beach Co., a railroad and real estate holding company here in 1920. He became vice president and secretary of that company before it became part of the old East Washington Railroad. He retired from that company in 1969.

He was a member of Grace Episcopal Church in Washington, where he had served on the vestry and as Sunday school superintendent. A master Mason, he was past worshipful master of George C. Whiting Lodge No. 22, and a past president of the Masters Association. He also had been a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Mr. Hart was a native of Washington and graduate of the old Business High School, where he had been cadet corps captain. He earned an accounting degree at Southeastern University and graduated from what is now American University law school.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, the former Alma Griffin, and a brother, W. Paul Hart, both of Leisure World, and a sister, Ruth D. Larsen of Clinton.


FBI Translation Supervisor

Tatiana "Tania" Nikonishin, 84, a retired supervisor of Russian and Slavic translators for the FBI, died of cardiac failure Jan. 11 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Nikonishin joined the FBI as a translator in Seattle in 1946, transferred to FBI headquarters here in 1958, and was a supervisor of translators for 10 years until her retirement in 1975.

Her work involved translating documents and letters for high-level FBI agents. On occasion she worked directly for the FBI director, J. Edgar Hoover, on special assignments. At his direction, Mrs. Nikonishin organized and taught Russian classes for FBI agents.

She was the Justice Department's nominee in 1975 for the Federal Woman's Award.

Mrs. Nikonishin was a native of Krasnoyarsk, Russia. She left Russia with her family when she was 5 years old and lived in Harbin, China. She immigrated to Seattle in 1927. She had a bachelor's degree in economics from the University of Washington.

Mrs. Nikonish was a member of St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, Gregory M. Nikonishin of Washington.


Active Here in Organizations

Tabitha "Tibs" Krauthoff, 72, former treasurer of the Woman's National Democratic Club and a board member of the United Way, died of lung cancer Jan. 12 at her home in Stuart, Fla. She lived in Washington from 1955 to 1989.

Mrs. Krauthoff was a native of New York City and a graduate of Sarah Lawrence College who also attended Strayer College here. She had served as chairman in the 1970s of the finance committee of the Woman's National Democratic Club and as treasurer in the 1960s of Friendship House.

A longtime summer resident of Siasconset, Mass., Mrs. Krauthoff was active with Nantucket Conservation and Sankaty Head Golf Club. She was honored by the Garden Club of America for her conservation work on Nantucket.

Her marriage to Robert Dumper ended in divorce.

She is survived by her husband, Louis Krauthoff of Stuart; a son by her first marriage, Robert Dumper Jr. of Oakland; a son by her second marriage, Carl Krauthoff of Siasconset; two stepsons, Philip Krauthoff of Los Angeles and Paul Krauthoff of Hancock, N.H.; and six grandchildren.


Legal Specialist

Kemal Aly Vokopola, 78, retired senior legal specialist in the European law division of the law library of the Library of Congress, was found dead Jan. 8 at his home in Washington. He had had a heart attack.

Mr. Vokopola was born in Lushnje, Albania. He received a law degree from Tirana Law School. During the 1930s and early 1940s, he worked in Albania as an administrator for the Council of Ministers and for the High Commissioner of Kossova. He also was editor of the newspaper Gazeta Shqiptare.

He fled to Italy in 1944 after the communist takeover in Albania; in 1950 he immigrated to Washington. He worked here for Group Health Association, the Department of Commerce and on the Albanian desk at Radio Free Europe before joining the staff at the Library of Congress in 1954. His duties there included research on Albanian and Italian legal issues. He retired in 1975.

Mr. Vokopola was co-author of several books on Albania and author of several articles on Albania and other countries.

He leaves no immediate survivors.


Real Estate Manager

Judith H. Miller, 59, a real estate developer and manager here for the last 20 years, died of encephalitis Jan. 14 at her home in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Miller, who came here in 1952, was a native of Phildelphia. She was a graduate of the University of Maryland.

She and her husband, Gerald J. Miller, whom she married in 1952 and who died in 1985, worked together in a variety of real estate ventures. Mrs. Miller served as president of the Connecticut Connection in downtown Washington before its sale in March 1990.

Mrs. Miller also had been active in fund-raising activities for several area institutions, including the American Cancer Society, the Phillips Collection and the National Gallery. She also had worked in the Connecticut Connection's annual Christmas food drive for the elderly and needy.

She was a member of Adas Israel Congregation.

Survivors include two sons, Stuart, of Potomac, and Robert, of Washington; a daughter, Shauna Wertheim of Bethesda; a sister, Joan Steinberg of Philadelphia; and five granddaughters.


Office Manager

Mary Elizabeth Habig Farrell, 80, retired office manager for the National Association for the Education of Young Children, died of a brain tumor Jan. 13 at the home of a daughter in Waldorf.

Mrs. Farrell, who lived in Leonardtown, was born in Cumberland, Md. She moved to this area in 1949. During the 1950s she worked as office manager for special services at Patuxent River Naval Air Station.

She had worked about 10 years as office manager for the National Association for the Education of Young Children before retiring around 1970.

She was a member of St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Leonardtown and of the Ladies of Charity.

Her marriage to John V. Farrell ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Phyllis Overback of Leonardtown, Jack Farrell of California, Md., and Mary Patricia Cecil of Waldorf; three sisters, Constance Turnbull and Jeanne Huet, both of Longwood, Fla., and Phyllis Cladny of Bethesda; one brother, Robert Habig of Chebeague Island, Maine; seven grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.


Company Founder

Lee DeForest Hall, 48, president of Columbia Funding Technologies Corp. of McLean, which he founded in January 1990, died of cancer Jan. 13 at his home in McLean.

Columbia works on projects involving FHA-insured health care financings.

Mr. Hall came to this area in 1979 and joined the SMAI Financial Corp. in Bethesda. He worked there until 1985 where he was a vice president and mortgage banker. From 1985 to 1990, he worked for the Reilly Mortgage Group Inc. in Washington where he was a senior vice president and FHA department manager.

He was a native of Cincinnati and graduate of the University of Cincinnati, where he also received a master's degree in business administration. Before coming to Washington, he had worked for General Electric in Kentucky, taught economics and business courses at Xavier University in Cincinnati, and worked in mortgage banking in Boston and New York.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Camden Hall, and two children, Jennifer Lee and Michael Graham Hall, all of McLean.