Jonathan Noah Levy, 20, an engineering student at the University of Maryland and valedictorian of the class of 1989 at Kennedy High School, died of leukemia Jan. 14 at his home in Silver Spring.

An honors and "gifted and talented" student since the third grade, he ran his own computer consulting business and had worked summers as an intern for the Goddard Space Flight Center and the Naval Surface Warfare Center.

He played flute and piano and was a band member at Kennedy, where he also was an editor on the school newspaper and belonged to the National Honor Society and Classical League. He was valedictorian despite having missed 75 percent of his classes during four years of treatment for leukemia.

He had been a Mensa member since the age of 8. As a high school student, he was named a National Merit Scholarship Finalist and a Maryland Distinguished Scholar. The University of Maryland awarded him a full scholarship.

Mr. Levy was among 300 top scorers on the Scholastic Aptitude Test in the country selected by the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth from seventh-graders who took that test six years in advance. The center, which places young students in summer programs at colleges across the country, sent Mr. Levy to study physics, psychology and writing at Franklin and Marshall College, St. Mary's College and Washington College.

As an intern for the space flight center's extraterrestrial physics lab, he helped to design propulsion and life-support systems for a theoretical trip by astronauts to Mars. He also worked on developing models of how the solar system was formed.

For two summers he worked at the naval center as a computer resource expert, trouble-shooting and helping others set up computer systems.

He was a volunteer at Wheaton Library, helping with computer systems, and he helped teach classes at Chaim Weizman Yiddish-Hebrew School in Silver Spring.

Many of his fellow students learned about the severity of Mr. Levy's illness when he mentioned it during his valedictory speech at graduation. He spoke of the importance of setting goals, and how that had helped him to live a full life. At that time, in 1989, his leukemia was in remission. He died 10 days after his 20th birthday.

He is survived by his parents, Arthur and Margarete Diener Levy of Silver Spring; a grandfather, Towia Diener of Silver Spring; and a grandmother, Anne Levy of Brooklyn, N.Y.


GWU Medical Professor

Dr. Charles S. Coakley, 76, a professor emeritus of anesthesiology at George Washington University, died of renal failure Jan. 14 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Dr. Coakley, who was born in Washington, was a graduate of McKinley Technical High School. He graduated from George Washington University's medical school in 1937, and served his internship and a residency in anesthesiology at George Washington University Hospital.

He joined the GWU staff in 1940 as a clinical instructor and associate university physician. After serving as a Navy physician in the Pacific during World War II, he returned to the university. He was named executive officer of its anesthesiology department in 1949. He was named professor emeritus in 1984.

Dr. Coakley was a diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology and a fellow of the American College of Anesthesiology. He was a member of the D.C. Medical Society and Alpha Omega, the medical honor society. He was a member of Congressional and Kenwood country clubs.

His wife, Catherine, died last April. Survivors include five daughters, Gail Bouquet of Brookeville, Md., Kay Roach of Rockville, Joan Coakley of Portland, Ore., Jane Hughes of Burlington, N.C., and Anne Hartnett of Sterling; a sister, Evelyn Franzoni of Columbia; 10 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.



Page C. Jett, 85, a retired physician who practiced in Prince Frederick, Md., from 1933 until 1981, died of heart ailments Dec. 22 at his home in Port Republic, Md.

Dr. Jett was born in Baltimore. He graduated from Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland Medical School, then did his internship at St. Joseph's Hospital in Baltimore before moving to Calvert County and opening his medical practice.

He was a former vice president of the Medical Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland and of the Academy of General Practice.

Dr. Jett had served on the building committees of the original and the new Calvert Memorial Hospitals.

Survivors include his wife, Vashti M. Jett of Port Republic; two children, Linda Jett Hexter of Ocean Pines, Md., and Robert Page Jett of Huntingtown, Md.; two sisters, Lillian Jett Stevens and Downing Jett Kay, both of Baltimore; a brother, E. Lee Jett of Washington; and seven grandchildren.


Limousine Service Owner

Joseph A. Martin, 77, owner of the Bush-Martin Limousine Service since 1985, died of cancer Jan. 14 at Providence Hospital. He had lived in Washington since 1946.

Mr. Martin was a native of Jenkinsville, S.C.. He worked as a redcap at Union Station, a torpedo assembler at the Naval Gun Factory and a cabdriver before going to work for Safeway grocery stores in 1957 as a truck driver.

He worked for Safeway until 1978, and while there organized a "Sick Club" for employees. From 1978 to 1985 he was a limousine driver for the McGuire's and Johnson and Jenkins funeral services.

Mr. Martin was a trustee of Washington's Third Street Church of God, where, among other activities, he served on the usher board and benevolent committee. He was a member of Teamsters Local 639 for 25 years. He also belonged to the Twains Club, which helps fund college scholarships for high school seniors in Washington.

His marriage to Willie Mae Martin ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Gladys E. Martin of Washington; four children from his second marriage, Samuel Martin of Detroit and Joseph A. Martin Jr., Parthenia M. Campbell and Cordelia M. Shepherd, all of Washington; four brothers, Tomie Martin of Columbus, Ohio, James Martin of Queens, N.Y., Johnie Martin of Capitol Heights and Eddie Martin of Somerset, N.J.; 11 grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.