Frederick H. Untiedt, 91, a retired patent lawyer and inventor who had lived here since 1924, died of a cerebral thrombosis Jan. 11 at his home in Chevy Chase.

He worked for the Patent Office from 1924 to 1929, then engaged in the private practice of law in Washington until retiring in 1959. He also held patents concerning latex foam rubber, for which he received a 1940 award from the National Association of Manufacturers.

During World War II, he was a consultant to the National Research Council and was a research associate at George Washington University.

Mr. Untiedt was a native of Pennsylvania and a Navy veteran of World War I. He received a bachelor's degree and a master's degree in chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a law degree from George Washington University.

An amateur magician, he entertained injured servicemen at Bethesda Naval and Walter Reed Army hospitals during World War II. He was an associate member of the National Press Club and charter member of Kenwood Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, the former Eleanor Ball, of Chevy Chase; a son, Frederick, of Vienna; two daughters, Ruth Hare of Alexandria and Carol Sisler of Ithaca, N.Y.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Printer and Musician

John Chapman Bigbee, 75, a retired printer and church musician who also sang at Gridiron Club shows in Washington, died of cancer Jan. 14 at his home in District Heights.

Mr. Bigbee was born in Snyder, Tex., and attended Central State College in Edmond, Okla. He began his career as a printer in Oklahoma during the 1930s. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and was awarded two Bronze Stars.

After the war, Mr. Bigbee settled in the Washington area and began working as a printer at The Washington Post and at the Trades Unionist Printing Co., which he acquired in 1978. He operated that business until he retired in 1989.

In the early 1950s, Mr. Bigbee was a printer at the New York Times, then returned to this area.

He was a former minister of music at National Baptist Memorial Church in Washington and choir director at Clinton Baptist Church in Clinton. As a singer he also performed on stage, radio and television here and in New York.

He was a member of the board of directors of Central Union Mission, a past president of the Washington Hosts Lions Club, a member of the board of trustees of the Northeast Mission, a member of the Military Order of the Carabao, a Mason and a member of the Scottish Rite.

Survivors include his wife, Dolores Bigbee of District Heights; four children, John Bigbee of District Heights, Babetta Norwood of Waldorf, Kirsten Morisi of Prince Frederick, Md., and James Bigbee of Upper Marlboro; and nine grandchildren.


White House Aide

Carson M. Howell, 78, a retired White House administrative officer who supervised accounts, purchases and personnel, died of pneumonia Jan. 14 at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Mr. Howell, who lived in Washington, was born in Shirley, Ind. He moved to the Washington area in 1932 and began working at the White House in 1933. He retired in 1971.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Lucille Taylor Howell of Washington; three granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren. A daughter, Shirleyann Howell Fuston, died in 1964.


Electrical Engineer

Philip A. Trout, 69, a retired Naval Surface Weapons Center engineer, died Jan. 10 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Mr. Trout was born in Palmyra, N.J., and moved to the Washington area at the age of 16. He graduated from Montgomery Blair High School, served in the Navy during World War II and graduated from the University of Maryland.

Before joining the staff at the Naval Surface Weapons Center in the late 1950s, he had worked as an electrical engineer in private industry in this area. He retired in 1981. He had received a Sustained Superior Performance Award and had three patents for circuit design.

Mr. Trout grew grapes and made his own wine. He was an amateur radio operator, a student of astronomy and a fisherman.

He leaves no immediate survivors.



Geraldine Y. Brooks, 59, a consultant to the Peace Corps and the Department of Education and a former official of the Agency for International Development in Ghana, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 13 at Howard University Hospital.

Miss Brooks, who lived in Washington, was born in New York City and attended City College of New York and Hunter College.

Before moving to Washington in 1975, she was director of a community learning center in Trenton, N.J., a training coordinator for the volunteer agency Action in New York, a senior systems analyst for American Express, a mathematics teacher for adults in Brooklyn, N.Y., and a Peace Corps official in Kenya, Ghana and Togo.

She was conference director here for the National Urban Coalition in 1975 and 1976, then from 1976 to 1980 was an agriculture management trainer for the government of Ghana under the auspices of AID.

From 1981 to 1985, Miss Brooks was in Kingston, Jamaica, as a project consultant and training consultant for A.L. Nellum and Associates. In 1984 and 1985, she also was managing partner in Kingston of Caribbean Business Initiative Ltd.

Since 1986, she had worked in Washington as a consultant to the African regional office of the Peace Corps, the Department of Education and other organizations.

Survivors include three sisters, Helen Williams and Jean Clavery, both of New York City, and Hazel Wells of Silver Spring.


Postal EEO Counselor

Ada Y. Cary Cuffey, 56, an equal employment opportunity counselor with the Southern Maryland Division of the U.S. Postal Service, died of cancer Jan. 13 at her home in Washington.

A lifelong resident of the city, Mrs. Cuffey attended Cardozo High School and Miner Teachers College. She had worked for the Postal Service since 1959, starting as a distribution clerk at the main Washington Post Office.

Mrs. Cuffey became a general clerk and supervisor of mails and in 1980 was promoted to equal employment opportunity investigator. She retired Jan. 8 as a counselor/investigator.

Mrs. Cuffey was active with the Washington Postal Federal Credit Union and had served on its board of directors. She also was a fund-raising volunteer for leukemia research and at Eastern High School.

Her marriage to Elwood S. Cuffey ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Floretta Cuffey Terry; two sons, Ronald Cuffey and Michael Cuffey; her father, Thomas R. Cary Jr.; her stepfather, James Booth; her stepmother, Geraldine Cary; four brothers, Maurice W. Cary, Thomas R. Cary III, Alphonso Cary and Steven Cary, all of Washington; and five grandchildren.


Banquet Manager

H. Douglas Wilson, 70, a former banquet manager at the University of Maryland's Adult Education Center, died of emphysema Jan. 13 at his home in College Park.

Mr. Wilson was born in Washington and attended Mount Rainier High School.

He was a singer at clubs in the Washington area before World War II, then during the war served in the Army in Europe, where he participated in combat operations and received a Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts.

After the war, he drove a taxi, then in 1954 began working at the Rossborough Inn at the University of Maryland, where he managed the faculty club. From 1968 to 1972, he worked at the Governors House motel in Bethesda. He then returned to the University of Maryland, where he was banquet manager at the Adult Education Center until retiring in 1980. In retirement, Mr. Wilson had been a part-time office assistant at Atlantic Fire Protection Systems Inc. in Beltsville until 1989.

Survivors include his wife, Alice Wilson of College Park; four sons, Robert D. Wilson of Las Vegas, Howard D. Wilson of University Park, Rex F. Wilson of Mount Rainier and Joseph D. Wilson of College Park; and four grandchildren.


Electrical Engineer

Edgar J. Roccati, 78, a former Washington area resident and retired electrical engineer and executive who had worked for communications companies, died Jan. 13 at a nursing home in Carlisle, Pa. He had Parkinson's disease.

Dr. Roccati, who was born in New York City, came here at an early age. He moved to New Jersey in 1952 and then moved to Carlisle in 1986.

He worked for American Telephone and Telegraph Co. in New York City and for Bell Labs in New Jersey. Before that, he worked for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. here.

Dr. Roccati, a graduate of McKinley Technical High School, received a bachelor's degree and a doctorate in electrical engineering from George Washington University. He also was a graduate of Georgetown University law school.

He was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

Survivors include his wife, Helen L., of Carlisle; two daughters, Shirley Fortuna of Dumfries and Marie Hegglin of Carlisle; a brother, Arnold, of Potomac; and four grandchildren.


Patent Examiner

David J. Klein, 78, a retired Patent Office supervisory patent examiner, died of cancer Jan. 3 at a hospice in Hollywood, Fla. A former Silver Spring resident, he lived here from 1948 to 1987.

He began his government career with the Post Office in New York City before World War II. After the war, he worked for the Army Signal Corps and the Naval Gun Factory here before joining the Patent Office in the early 1950s. He retired in 1978.

Mr. Klein, who lived in Dania, Fla., was a native of New York City and Navy veteran of World War II. He was a chemical engineering graduate of the Cooper Union and received a law degree from George Washington University.

He had done volunteer work here for senior citizen groups and the American Cancer Society. He was a member of the Workmen's Circle.

Survivors include his wife, Sara, of Dania; two sons, Hershel, of Seattle, and Ivan, of Washington; and a sister, Esther Agins of Boca Raton, Fla.


Navy Officer

Matthew Glen Brower, 33, a Navy lieutenant commander who had served here since July as an administrative assistant on the staff of the chief of naval personnel, died of cancer Jan. 11 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Washington.

He was assistant to the head of officer plans in the plans, policy and community management branch.

Cmdr. Brower, who was born in Fort Dodge, Iowa, was a 1979 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy and served aboard frigates and destroyers before coming here.

His decorations included two Navy Commendation medals and two Navy Achievement medals.

Survivors include his wife, Michele Pender Brower, a son, Justin Pender Brower, and a daughter, Ashley Pender Brower, all of Washington; his parents, Paul Raymond Brower and Beverly Gravengaard Brower of Athens, Tex.; two sisters, Janeine Marie Martin of Lone Oak, Tex., and Kathleen Annette Brower of Bedford, Tex.; and a brother, Thomas Raymond Brower of Dallas.



Charles Wilson Jones, 76, a Washington internist and cardiologist who had practiced medicine here for 46 years, died of emphysema Jan. 16 at Fernwood House in Bethesda.

Dr. Jones, who lived in Washington, was born in Baltimore. He graduated from Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland Medical School.

He served in the Navy during World War II, then moved to the Washington area and opened his medical practice.

Dr. Jones had been chief of medicine at Doctors Hospital in Washington from 1960 to 1979 and had taught at George Washington University Medical School in the early 1960s.

He was a diplomate of the American Board of Internal Medicine and the American Board of Cardiology.

He was a member of the Rotary Club of Washington, Columbia Country Club and the University Club.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Ann Heine Jones of Washington; two daughters, Melissa Jones Gardner of Washington and Courtenay Jones Culp of Garrett Park; and three grandchildren.


Mortgage Loan Processor

Thomas J. Peters, 32, a former mortgage loan processor for Heritage Title Co., died of complications related to AIDS Jan. 14 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Peters, who was born in Washington and grew up in Manassas, attended Osbourne High School there, Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University and Morehead State University. He was with Heritage for three years and previously worked as a bartender at Tracks and JR's in Washington and as a swimming coach in Northern Virginia.

He was a volunteer speaker on AIDS for the Whitman-Walker Clinic and the Lifelink organization and a member of the D.C. Sports organization and Alcoholics Anonymous.

Survivors include his companion, Stephen D. Shifflett of Washington; his parents, Lawrence and Mary Ellen Peters of Manassas; three sisters, Kathleen Pollard of Huntsville, Ala., and Maureen Peters and Missy Peters, both of Manassas; and a brother, Matthew Peters of Manassas.