Elizabeth Rogers Vann, 93, a retired division chief at St. Elizabeths Hospital, died of pneumonia Jan. 16 at Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton. She was a longtime resident of Oxon Hill.

Dr. Vann, a warm and self-assured person known for issuing her opinions with the bark on, served 38 years as a staff psychiatrist at St. Elizabeths, from which she retired in 1964. For part of that time she shared responsibility for the custody of poet Ezra Pound, who was confined at St. Elizabeths from 1945 to 1958.

Pound lived the life of Riley at St. Elizabeths, whose director engineered the poet's commitment to save him from being tried for treason for making radio broadcasts for fascist Italy during World War II. Installed in a suite with a view of the Capitol, Pound produced three books and freely entertained literary friends and lovers during his 13 years in the institution.

"He certainly wasn't insane," Dr. Vann said of Pound after his death in 1972, "but he was mean enough that the expense of keeping him off the street was probably justified."

Born in Scotland Neck, N.C., on May 14, 1897, Dr. Vann was educated from grade through high school in the teaching laboratory at Meredith College in Raleigh, of which her father, R.T. Vann, was president. She then earned a bachelor's degree at Meredith, graduating in 1917, and entered the Women's Medical College in Philadelphia, receiving her medical degree in 1921.

Asked in a recent interview if it took courage to enter a profession hostile to women in those days, Dr. Vann laughed. "My father had his arms torn off at the elbows in a cane mill when he was 12 years old," she said. "He was trying to run the mill by himself because all the men were away in the {Confederate} army. Anyway, he went on to become a hunter and a horseman and a minister and a college president. After being raised by a man like that, my life didn't seem so hard."

Dr. Vann interned at St. Margaret's Memorial Hospital in Pittsburgh and served two years as resident physician at the state reform school for girls in Samarcand, N.C., before going on staff at St. Elizabeths in 1926. Her service there spanned the years when the hospital was one of the world's leading mental institutions; she retired as chief of the hospital's geriatric division. Fellow psychiatrist Roger Peele recalled her as very conscientious and skillful, infinitely attentive and caring with the most severely ill patients."

After living for 25 years in an apartment on the hospital grounds, Dr. Vann in 1951 moved to a home overlooking the Potomac in the Fort Foote section of Oxon Hill, where she indulged her lifelong passion for gardening. Peppery to the last, she was past the age of 90 when she personally defied the attempts of her neighbor, Watergate figure G. Gordon Liddy, to close the riverside road in front of his house.

Although Liddy would brandish clubs at passersby and occasionally chase them in his car, Dr. Vann would go out of her way to drive past his house whenever possible. "It's a public right of way and I'm the public," she said. "Mr. Liddy is rather full of himself." Liddy never challenged her.

Old friends of Dr. Vann described her as being quite a belle in her youth, leading an interviewer to ask why she never married. "I thought about it a good deal," she said. "I concluded that it would take a very good man to be better than no man at all, and I never found him."

There are no immediate survivors.


Army Sergeant Major

Kay Lee Thurman, 69, a retired Army sergeant major who later served as deputy director of the D.C. offfice of civil defense, died of heart ailments Jan. 16 at his home in Rehoboth Beach, Del.

Sgt. Thurman was born in Afton, Wyo. He served in the Idaho National Guard before World War II, then was called to active duty when his unit was activated in 1941. He served in the Caribbean during the war and in Korea during the conflict there. His military specialty was radioactive defense and he also served in San Francisco, West Germany, Utah and at Fort Meade, Md., where he retired in 1961.

After retiring he joined the D.C. office of civil defense, where he remained until 1975, when he went to work at the Pentagon in the national command center for civil defense. He retired there in 1977 and moved to Rehoboth Beach.

In Rehoboth he operated a construction and home improvement company, CT&L Construction, and later was maintenance chief at St. Edmond's Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Charlotte Joan Thurman; seven children, Timothy G. Thurman of Merrick, N.Y., Todd Richard Thurman of Virginia Beach, Christopher S. Thurman of Port Jefferson, N.Y., Jonathan A. Thurman of Gainesville, Va., Matthew R. Thurman of Rehoboth Beach, Erin Elizabeth Gaudreault of Dumfries and Janice Brown of Wichita, Kan.; a sister, Marjorie Atwood of Preston, Idaho; 11 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Military Logistics Specialist

Sidney H. Collins, 87, a retired Army colonel and senior logistics officer with the Department of the Army, died of complications from lymphoma and pneumonia Jan. 14 at Alexandria Hospital.

A native of Chicago and an economics graduate of the University of Chicago, Col. Collins worked there as a bank trust officer and stock broker before moving to Alexandria in 1941. He came here to serve with the Army Transportation Corps and continued on active duty until 1950.

He was a logistics officer here for a NATO military affairs advisory committee and a member of the Army Reserve from 1950 until his retirement in 1963.

His memberships included the Army and Navy Club and Alpha Delta Phi.

Col. Collins is survived by his wife of 37 years, Joy Collins of Alexandria.


NIH Clerk

Clara Chesney Crouch, 101, a retired clerk at the National Institutes of Health, died of heart ailments Jan. 16 at Meridian Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Crouch, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Sioux City, Iowa. She graduated from DePauw University.

She moved to this area from Kansas City, Mo., in 1945.

She worked at NIH from 1946 to 1957.

Her marriage to Harry Guild Crouch ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Emmylou Allen of Ashland, Ore.; a sister, Emily Chesney Stacey of Pawleys Island, S.C.; three grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.