Miles Copeland, 77, who had been a writer, journalist, management consultant, jazz trumpter, music arranger and spy, died Jan. 14 at a hospital in Oxfordshire, England, after a heart attack. He was stricken at his home near Oxford.

He is probably best known to the general public as the author of such entertaining and provocative books as "The Game of Nations" and "Beyond Cloak and Dagger," that told of his years in the Middle East as a political action agent with the Central Intelligence Agency as a mangement consultant to the Egyptian government.

He went to the Middle East in 1947, serving at the U.S. Embassy in Damascus, Syria, as a political attache' for the next three years. He was a CIA agent, largely in the Middle East, until resigning in 1953 to join the management consulting firm of Booz-Allen & Hamilton, working on projects for various Egyptian government agencies and becoming acquainted with Gamel Abdel Nasser, an Army colonel and revolutionary who became president of Egypt.

From 1955 to 1957, he again worked for the CIA. He became head of a five-man political action unit that helped organize a "games room" in Washington where problems in international relations could be played out in the form of war games by government groups. During this time, he also served on an interagency planning group on the Middle East and sought to explain Nasser, who had become a friend, to an unsympathetic Washington audience.

He left the agency in 1957 to resume his career in Europe and the Middle East as a consultant to governments and oil companies. He also remained on the fringes of the agency, doing the odd favor for it and offering advice.

One of his less successful "favors" was to keep an eye on Kim Philby, the former high British Secret Intelligence Service officer who was working as a journalist in Beirut and who was believed by some to be a Soviet agent. Mr. Copeland later wrote that though he was sure of Philby's loyalty, he agreed to keep an eye on Philby at the behest of the CIA's counterintelligence chief, James J. Angleton. Philby, as it turned out, was a Soviet agent. And on the 1962 night he "ran" for the Soviet border, he was to have dined with Mr. Copeland.

Mr. Copeland wrote of this, and of coups in Syria, the 1958 Lebanese crisis, the 1949 coup in Syria and the overthrow of Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh of Iran in highly charged and utterly fascinating style. Other stories concerned a 20-minute gun battle in his Damascus home and the strange story of an attempt to "bribe" a simultaneously amused and angered Nasser with $3 million in cash.

In recent years, Mr. Copeland had lived in England and had been in failing health due to arthritis. He began devoting less time to his "consulting" work and more time to writing and journalism. He wrote pieces for both The Washington Post and the Washington Star. He had been a regular contributor to the National Review and several British publications, including the London Daily Telegraph.

Journalist Thomas B. Ross, writing in The Post in 1974, called Mr. Copeland a man with a "penchant for adventure, intrigue, conservative geopolitics and the games grown boys play." Others have described him as a "genial bear of a man" whose "boyish enthusiasm was undimmed by worldly experience." He had referred to himself as both a "superpatriot and loyal CIA alumnus" and as a "riverboat gambler."

His first book, "The Game of Nations," which appeared in 1969, sold well in this country and was an enormously popular book in the Middle East. It was said that rulers of several Middle East countries had the book, which focused on early CIA adventures in the Middle East, translated into Arabic for their use. Mr. Copeland later said that the book's hero was Nasser and that its villain was President Eisenhower's secretary of state, John Foster Dulles.

That book was followed by "Without Cloak or Dagger" in 1975, and "The Real Spy World" and "Beyond Cloak and Dagger," both in 1976. At the time of his death, he was working on the American edition of his memoirs.

Mr. Copeland was a native of Alabama, and once wrote that he spent a short time at the University of Alabama, where he learned to play cards and the trumpet. Before World War II, he was a jazz trumpeter and arranger with the Ray Noble and Glenn Miller orchestras. During the war, he served in the Army and the Office of Strategic Services in Europe. After the war, he worked in intelligence posts with the War and State departments.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lorraine Adie, an archaeologist whom he married in 1942; three sons, Miles III, a pop music executive, Stewart, a former drummer with the popular music group The Police, and Ian, who runs a New York show business booking agency; and a daughter, Lennie, who is a film producer.


Sandy Spring Volunteer

Sylvia Ridenour Woodward, 84, a Sandy Spring resident and volunteer, died of heart disease Jan. 12 at Friends Nursing Home in Sandy Spring.

She was a native of Washington and a graduate of Central High School.

Mrs. Woodward was a member of the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting and its recorder for 23 years. She also belonged to the women's board of Montgomery General Hospital and the Mutual Improvement Society, a women's organization in Sandy Spring.

Her husband, Richard Woodward, died in 1988. Survivors include two daughters, Jocelyn Shotts of Sandy Spring and Carolyn Arnatt of Princeton, N.J,; four grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.


Color Specialist

Richard S. Hunter, 81, a physicist and specialist in color and appearance who founded Hunter Associates Laboratory, died Jan. 16 at Arlington Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Hunter, who lived in McLean, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and George Washington University.

He began his professional career in 1927 as a laboratory assistant at the National Bureau of Standards where his job involved basic work in the definition of color. He remained with the Bureau until 1946, when he went to work for Gardner Laboratories.

In 1952 he founded Hunter Associates Laboratory in McLean. It now is located in Reston. The company produces instruments that measure color and appearance. These products are used for such purposes as quality control in items such as paper, plastics and food.

Mr. Hunter had given lectures in his specialty around the United States and in Europe. He was the author of a basic textbook, "Measure of Appearance."

He was a former deacon, choir member and property board member of Rock Spring Congregational Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Elizabeth L. Hunter of McLean; two sons, Philip S. Hunter of Great Falls and Paul L. Hunter of Vancouver, B.C.; a brother, Gilbert Hunter of Seattle; and three grandchildren.


Letter Carrier

Thaddeus Allen Rattley Sr., 71, a retired letter carrier who was active in church and community groups, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 15 at Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Rattley was a native of Washington and a 1937 graduate of Armstrong High School. He attended Howard University and served with the Army in the South Pacific during World War II.

He was a letter carrier here for 28 years before retiring in 1975. Before joining the Post Office in 1947, he had spent six years with the Government Printing Office, the Washington Navy Yard and in the Army.

Mr. Rattley had been a member of St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church in Washington for about 45 years. He was a Eucharistic minister, served on the parish council, was president of the church's Holy Name Society and treasurer of its gospel choir.

He was a past president of the Queens Chapel Civic Association in Washington and had been a Boy Scout leader. He also had served as treasurer of his high school class alumni group and had been active in singing groups that performed for the elderly. He belonged to several local social clubs, including the Royales Inc.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, the former Evelyn Quander, a son, Thaddeus Jr., and a daughter, Sandra Rattley, all of Washington; and a grandson.


Trade Group Executive

Paul T. Truitt, 90, a former government employee and retired trade organization official, died of pneumonia Jan. 17 at Potomac Valley nursing home in Rockville. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Truitt was president of the National Association of Margarine Manufacturers from 1943 to 1950, then president of the American Plant Food Council from 1951 to 1955. He then joined the National Plant Food Institute as executive vice president and in 1960 became its president. He retired from that post in 1968.

He was executive vice president of the Agricultural Research Institute from 1973 until retiring a second time in 1981.

Mr. Truitt was a native of Missouri and a 1924 graduate of the University of Missouri. He then worked for Sears in the Midwest before coming to Washington and joining the government in 1938.

After two years as a Treasury Department procurement analyst, he joined the industrial economics bureau in the office of the secretary of commerce. In 1941 and 1942, he was chief of the department's marketing laws unit.

Mr. Truitt was a member of Chevy Chase Baptist Church, the Trade Association Executives and the Metropolitan and Burning Tree clubs. He also was a Mason.

Survivors include his wife, Jonnabelle, of Washington, and a sister, Mary Althea Truitt of Portola Valley, Calif.


APL Senior Engineer

Hugh E. Wilson, 68, a retired senior engineer with the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, died Jan. 12 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Mr. Wilson worked at APL's Silver Spring facility from 1960 to 1987, starting as an engineering assistant in the fleet systems department. He helped develop the operational testing of the first Terrier and Tarter anti-aircraft missiles used on Navy ships.

He supervised the system test site and created data analysis software for the missile systems, including the Aegis combat missile system now being used in the gulf conflict.

Mr. Wilston, who was a native of Gainesville, Ga., came to APL from the Navy, where he had served for 19 years as a missile fire control chief. His last assignment was in Bath, Maine.

His wife, Valma B. Wilson, died in 1988. Survivors include two sons, Robert and Richard Wilson, both of Silver Spring; two daughters, Jamie Wilson of Washington and Kendall Hudak of Arlington; a sister, Sara Wilson of Dillard, Ga.; and a granddaughter.


Longtime Washington Resident

Lanier Dunn Poland, 65, a resident of Washington for about the last 60 years, died Jan. 17 at her home after a heart attack.

Mrs. Poland was active with the Foxhall Citizens Community Association and recently was involved with efforts to preserve the historic Wetzel cabin in that neighborhood.

She was born in New York City and moved here as a child. She was a 1947 graduate of Bryn Mawr College.

Mrs. Poland worked in the early 1950s at Children's Hospital as an operating room aide and in the hospital dental office, as a nurses' aide for the Red Cross blood program and at the Central Intelligence Agency.

Survivors include her husband, William B. Poland Jr. of Washington; a daughter, Elisabeth Lanier Rowan of Paris; two sons, William B. Poland III of Palo Alto, Calif., and McKee Dunn Poland of Portola Valley, Calif.; three sisters, Mildred Wilson of New York City and White Post, Va., Hildreth Burnett of Cambridge, Mass., and McKee Cox of Martinsburg, W.Va.; and two grandchildren.



Aieleen L. Waldie, 88, who was managing editor of the Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, a scholarly quarterly, from its first issue in 1965 until she retired in 1972, died of cancer Jan. 14 at Fairfax Nursing Center.

Mrs. Waldie, who lived in Arlington, was born in Chicago and attended the Parsons School of Design. As a young woman, she was a fashion designer in New York.

In 1935 she married Robert Waldie. They settled in the Washington area in the early 1940s. During World War II, Mrs. Waldie, who was fluent in French, worked at the French Embassy.

In 1949 she became administrative assistant to Leland P. Bradford, who was director of the adult education division of the National Education Association. Later he became executive director of the NEA-affiliated National Training Laboratories, which eventually became the NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science.

Her husband died in 1965. She leaves no immediate survivors.


Mechanical Engineer

Arthur H. Julyan, 95, a mechanical engineer at the Naval Gun Factory in Alexandria from 1940 until his retirement in 1961, died of pneumonia Jan. 12 at his home in Alexandria.

A native of Chicago and a former resident of Cleveland and Toledo, he had lived in this area for 50 years.

Mr. Julyan served in the Navy during World War I. He worked as a mechanical engineer for more than 40 years and taught the subject at the Columbia Technical School after his retirement.

He was a member of Calvary Baptist Church in Washington. He belonged to the Masons and the Order of the Scottish Rite.

Survivors include his wife of nearly 60 years, Roberta Julyan of Alexandria, and a sister, Ellen Mathes of Nokomis, Fla.