Joseph F. Carroll, 80, a retired Air Force lieutenant general who was the first director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, died of pneumonia Jan. 20 at the Mount Vernon nursing home in Alexandria.

A former assistant to then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, Gen. Carroll began his Air Force career in 1948, the year after it became a separate service. He helped set up its Office of Special Investigations with responsibility for investigative and counterintelligence functions.

Gen. Carroll headed that office until 1958, when he went to West Germany as deputy commander of U.S. air forces in Europe. In 1960, he returned to Washington as inspector general of the Air Force.

In 1961, the Defense Intelligence Agency was established to provide the Defense Department a source of intelligence information independent of the Central Intelligence Agency. Gen. Carroll was named the first director of the DIA, and he remained in that post until his retirement in 1969.

His military decorations included two awards of the Distinguished Service Medal and two awards of the Legion of Merit.

Gen. Carroll was born in Chicago. He graduated from St. Mary of the Lake Seminary in Mundelein, Ill., and received a law degree from Loyola University of Chicago. As a young man, he worked for the Swift & Co. meatpacking firm and rose to be assistant sales manager.

In 1940, he was appointed a special agent in the FBI. In 1944, after service in Tennessee and Chicago, he was transferred to Washington. In 1947, the future general was given a temporary assignment with what became the War Assets Administration.

In 1948, after a brief period as administrative assistant to Hoover, he began his career with the Air Force. Commissioned a brigadier general at that time, he was promoted to major general in 1950 and to lieutenant general in 1960.

When he retired from the government, Gen. Carroll served for a few years as director of the National Council of Catholic Men. Thereafter he was a consultant on security matters. He also was a member of the board of directors of the Wackenhut Corp.

Gen. Carroll was a member of the Belle Haven Country Club and St. Louis Catholic Church in Alexandria. He received the Pro Ecclesia Pontifica from Pope John XXIII and the St. Thomas More award from the National Council of Catholic Men.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Ann Morrissey, whom he married in 1937, of Alexandria; five sons, Joseph Carroll of San Juan, Puerto Rico, James and Kevin Carroll, both of Boston, Brian Carroll of Lenexa, Kan., and Dennis Carroll of Alexandria; four sisters, Florence Wilson of Terre Haute, Ind., Alice Bender of Saginaw, Mich., Grace Clewell of Countryside, Ill., and Margaret Hoffman of Chicago; and 13 grandchildren.


Navy Rear Admiral

Robert John Archer, 84, a retired Navy rear admiral who was awarded a Navy Cross for bravery during action as a destroyer commander in the Pacific in World War II, died Jan. 2 at Anne Arundel Medical Center after a heart attack.

Adm. Archer was born in Spokane, Wash., and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1928. His pre-World War II duty included seven years at sea, an assignment at the Naval Postgraduate School in Annapolis and service as a Naval Reserve officers instructor at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

During the war, he was commanding officer of the destroyer Evans. He was awarded a Navy Cross for action in May 1945 off Okinawa, for directing fire that brought down 15 enemy aircraft and for bringing the ship safely to port after having taken hits from four suicide planes.

Postwar duty included service in California and Virginia. He retired from the Navy in 1958 after having served as assistant chief of staff at the 9th Naval District at Great Lakes, Ill.

Since 1963 Adm. Archer had lived in Annapolis.

His marriage to Anita Smith ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Elsie Southerland Archer of Annapolis; two children from his first marriage, Charmain H. Archer Potter of Fort Myers, Fla., and Lynne McK. Wage of Renton, Wash.; and three stepchildren, Ann R. Glenn of Virginia Beach and Robert H. and William T. Rigsbee, both of San Francisco.


Army Lt. Col. and Meteorologist

Richard H. Gramzow, 50, a retired Army lieutenant colonel and meteorologist who in retirement had managed Martin Marietta Corp.'s weather sensors program, died of cancer Jan. 19 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Col. Gramzow, who lived in Burke, was born in Newton, Mass, and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1962. He served two tours as an airborne Ranger in Vietnam during the war there and was awarded a Bronze Star and a Meritorious Service Medal.

He received a master's degree in meteorology from Texas A&M University, then served as chief of the meteorological division at Fort Sill, Okla., inspector general for the Defense Language Institute in Monterrey, Calif., and plans and operations officer for the VII Corps in Nellingen, West Germany.

In 1981, he was assigned in Washington as meteorological coordination officer with the Environmental Services Division of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and he held that assignment until retiring from the Army in 1985.

On retirement, Col. Gramzow joined the staff of Martin Marietta in Washington. In January 1990, he and four others were cited by the magazine Aviation Week and Space Technology for their work in designing and testing a low-level windshear alert system.

Survivors include his wife, Lynn Simpson Gramzow of Burke; two children, Laura A. Gramzow of Cork, Ireland, and Richard H. Gramzow of Alexandria; his mother, Lillian Gramzow of St. Petersburg, Fla.; a sister, Sally A. Shepard of Huntsville, Ala.; a brother, John G. Gramzow of St. Petersburg; and a grandson.


Agriculture Clerk

William Crawford Albert Sr., 78, a retired Agriculture Department procurement clerk, died of heart ailments Jan. 17 at Washington Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Albert, who lived in Takoma Park, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and grew up in Atlanta. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II, and moved to Washington and joined the Agriculture Department after the war. He retired in 1976.

Survivors include his wife, Caroline S. Albert of Takoma Park; twin daughters Alyce Jett of Santa Monica, Calif., and Doris Dare Albert of Arlington; two sons, William Crawford Albert Jr. of Takoma Park and Frederick Harold Albert of Haines City, Fla.; a sister, Blanche Albert Bevins of Atlanta; and two grandchildren.