Harold H. Hall, 64, the last president of the Southern Railway Co. before the consolidation that created Norfolk Southern Corp., died of a heart attack Jan. 19 at his home in Virginia Beach.

The president and chief operating officer of Norfolk Southern from 1982 until his retirement in 1987, Mr. Hall was the last of the railroad presidents who had come up from the ranks of the industry.

He began his career with Southern in 1943, when he was hired as a telegrapher after graduating from high school in his native Andrews, N.C. He joined the Navy the next year to serve as a gunner in a bomber squadron during World War II, and returned to the railway as an agent-telegrapher in 1946.

Soon promoted to train dispatcher, Mr. Hall rose through the ranks to become president in 1979. He continued as president and chief operating officer of the company that resulted from Southern's consolidation with the Norfolk and Western Railroad Co. in 1982. He was elected vice president of the company shortly before his retirement.

Mr. Hall lived in McLean from 1970 to 1982.

He also served as a director of Penn Virginia Corp.; Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railway Co.; Florida East Coast Railway Co.; Citizens and Southern Georgia Corp., and the Citizens and Southern National Bank.

Survivors include his wife, Joretta Hall of Virginia Beach; a daughter, Martha H. O'Donnell of Hickory, N.C.; a son, Dr. Gregory M. Hall of Baltimore; a sister, Emogene Ledford of Andrews; and five grandchildren.


Government Engineer

John A. Seymour, 72, a retired engineer and official of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing who had done volunteer work in Georgetown, died of emphysema Jan. 22 at Montgomery General Hospital. He lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mr. Seymour, who worked for the bureau for 32 years before retiring in 1973, had been chief of the engineering office in the bureau's research and development division. He received an award for his design and construction of an automated tour-guide system at the bureau.

He had served as the technical review chairman for mechanical specifications for the Constructions Specifications Institute and on a joint technical committee of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and the Society of Automotive Engineers. He had done volunteer work for the Georgetown Boys Club and the Georgetown Big Brothers.

Mr. Seymour was a native of Washington and served with the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He studied mechanical engineering at George Washington and Catholic universities.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Virginia Seymour, of Leisure World; two sons, John Paul Seymour of Derwood and James Michael Seymour of Six Mile Run, Pa.; two brothers, Francis X. and Joseph A. Seymour, both of Rockville; and six grandchildren.


Club Member

Eula S. Mack, 81, a longtime area resident who was a member of the Chevy Chase Women's Club and the Order of the Eastern Star, died of a brain tumor Jan. 20 at a nursing home in Sumter, S.C.

Mrs. Mack, who was born in Lydia, S.C., lived in this area from the mid-1950s until moving from Bethesda to Sumter in November. She had attended Coker College in South Carolina.

Her husband, Curt C. Mack, died in 1978. Her survivors include a daughter, Jacquelyn Allgood of Sumter; two granddaughters; and four great-grandsons.


Advertising Executive

Shirley P. "Toni" Pearson, 69, a retired media director with Ehrlich-Manes & Associates, a Washington advertising firm, died of cancer Jan. 14 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Mrs. Pearson, who lived in Hyattsville, was born near Sidney, Neb. She grew up there and in Hyattsville. She graduated from McKinley Technical High School in Washington, and attended American University and the University of Maryland.

In 1945, Mrs. Pearson went to work for Kal-Ehrlich-Merrick, a Washington advertising agency. She became an advertising media specialist, specializing in the aircraft industry. She worked for various firms in Washington, Baltimore, Chicago and New York. She joined Ehrlich-Manes & Associates in 1977 and was responsible for buying advertising space in print and broadcast media. She retired in 1988, but remained a part-time worker until her death.

Mrs. Pearson was a member of the Advertising Club of Washington and Soroptimists International.

Her marriage to Glenn E. Pearson ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Glenn E. Pearson Jr. of Seabrook, Md.; and two grandchildren.


Interior Landscaper

Gregory R. Spore, 39, a former employee of Foliage Plant Systems, an interior landscaping company, died of leukemia Jan. 20 at his home in Alexandria.

He worked for the company about three years until illness forced his retirement last year.

Mr. Spore was born in Milwaukee and moved here as a child. He attended Northwood High School and Montgomery College.

He worked for the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission from 1968 to 1974, and then moved to Richmond, where he worked in the restaurant business and for Old Dominion Spice Co.

He lived in Phoenix from 1977 to 1978 and worked for a solar heating and cooling installation company. Since returning here in 1978, he had worked as an interior landscape designer and salesman.

Survivors include his parents, Jack and Eleanor Spore of Swanton, Md.; and two brothers, James L. Spore of Ijamsville, Md., and Richard J. Spore of Herndon.


CIA Official

Donald MacGregor Allen, 80, a retired Central Intelligence Agency intelligence officer, died of a heart attack and aneurysm Jan. 20 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Allen, who lived in Arlington, was born in Schenectady, N.Y. At the age of 14 he went with his parents to Bulgaria, where his father opened a YMCA. He graduated from the University of Geneva and before World War II was a railroad worker in New York.

He served in the Army as a counterintelligence officer in Europe during the war and was awarded a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart. He remained in the Army after the war until 1949, when he joined the CIA.

Mr. Allen's CIA assignments included posts in Greece, Colombia, Germany, the Dominican Republic and Washington. He retired in 1970. He was awarded the Intelligence Service Medal.

He was a former president of the Falls Church Lions Club.

Survivors include his wife, Lani Allen of Arlington; and two daughters, Cynthia Allen and Martha Bell, both of Phoenix.


Clerical Worker

Lucile H. Quackenbush, 89, a resident of Washington for nearly 60 years, died of complications from influenza at a nursing home in Palo Alto, Calif.

Mrs. Quackenbush was born in Silver Spring and moved to Round Hill, Va., as a child. She returned to Washington in 1919 and worked as a clerical employee for the federal government for several years.

After leaving Washington in 1983, she lived in Round Hill for four years and then moved to California in 1987.

She was active in the Patent Office Women's Club and the D.C. Association for Retarded Citizens.

Her husband, Leo Quackenbush, died in 1969. Survivors include two sons, William L. Quackenbush and Donald Quackenbush of Palo Alto; a sister, Frances Hersperger of Round Hill; and a grandson.


Graphic Artist

Karl Butler, 40, a graphic artist who was a fourth-generation Washingtonian, died of cancer Jan. 3 at a hospital in Los Angeles.

A resident of Inglewood, Calif., he had lived in the Los Angeles area since leaving Washington in 1975. He had worked for the last nine years for the McDonnell Douglas Corp.

Mr. Butler was a graduate of McKinley High School and Southeastern Massachusetts University. He worked here as a graphic artist at the U.S. Maritime Commission and the Naval Ordnance Laboratory. In California he also worked at the Hughes Aerospace Research Center and Northrop Corp.

Survivors include his companion, Gina Muzzle of Inglewood; his parents, Francis Butler and Alberta Butler of Washington; and a sister, Mira Milner of Wheaton.


Thornton Friends Student

Andrew K. Wharton, 16, a student at Thornton Friends School in Silver Spring, died of an aneurysm Jan. 18 at Sibley Hospital.

A lifelong resident of Washington, he had attended Beauvoir School, Murch Elementary School, Parkmont School and Maret School.

He was active in soccer, lacrosse, skiing and snowboarding and was an acolyte at St. Columbus Episcopal Church in Washington.

Survivors include his parents, William B. Wharton and Audrey B. Wharton of Washington; and his grandmothers, Hulette B. Belle of Iowa City and Harriatte B. Wharton of Montclair, N.J.