Thomas D. Davies, 76, a retired Navy rear admiral, aviator and navigation expert who in 1989 headed an investigatory panel that refuted allegations that Robert E. Peary had faked his claim to having reached the North Pole in 1909, died Jan. 21 at a hospital in Phillipsburg on the Caribbean island of St. Martin of complications resulting from a viral infection.

Adm. Davies, a resident of Potomac, was on vacation when taken ill.

He served 40 years in the Navy before retiring in 1973, and upon retirement was named assistant director of the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency. He served in that capacity for seven years and led two delegations in negotiations with the Soviet Union. On leaving the agency he gave lectures on nuclear disarmament and nuclear nonproliferation.

As a naval aviator he drew worldwide attention in 1946 as the pilot of a Navy patrol plane, "Truculent Turtle," on a nonstop 11,236-mile flight from Perth, Australia, to Columbus, Ohio. That flight established an aviation distance record, which stood for 16 years. It earned Adm. Davies a Distinguished Flying Cross.

After that flight, Adm. Davies was assigned to the staff of Adm. Richard E. Byrd. While serving in that post he invented the sky compass, a device for navigating near the Earth's magnetic poles.

Adm. Davies was born in Columbus, Ohio. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1937 and became a naval aviator in 1942. He served in the Atlantic during World War II and was assigned to anti-submarine duty. He received his first Distinguished Flying Cross for sinking a German submarine.

Other Navy assignments included command of a fleet airwing and command of a carrier division in the Atlantic. He graduated from the National War College, and while serving in the Navy received a master's degree in international affairs from George Washington University. He retired from the Navy as head oceanographer in charge of research and development. His other military decorations included a Distinguished Service Medal and three Legion of Merit Medals.

Adm. Davies had been a lifelong student of navigation. He was president of the Navigation Foundation, a nonprofit organization founded to develop and promote celestial navigation. In that capacity he directed an exhaustive investigation for the National Geographic Society into widely publicized claims by Dennis Rawlins, a Baltimore astronomer and historian of scientific fraud, that Peary had faked his claim to having reached the North Pole in 1909.

"Peary was not a fake or a fraud," declared Adm. Davies, basing his conclusion on analyses of photographs that Peary took at what he said was the North Pole. The admiral said he and his investigators had developed a way to relate the size and position of shadows with the position of the sun that showed Peary was at the North Pole.

Survivors include his wife, Eloise English Davies of Potomac; four children, Thomas Davies of Annapolis, Douglas Davies of Potomac, Ronald Davies of Palo Alto, Calif., and Meredith Davies of Chestertown, Md.; and four grandchildren.


Researcher and Consultant

Madeleine J. Wilkins, 76, a retired research librarian who was a consultant on the management of scientific literature, died Jan. 19 at Suburban Hospital of injuries suffered in an automobile accident that day.

Montgomery County police said Mrs. Wilkins was riding in a car driven by her husband, Otto Wilkins, when it was struck by another vehicle on Route 28 in Rockville.

A resident of Chevy Chase, Mrs. Wilkins was an information specialist at federal agencies for nearly 25 years. She worked at the Interior Department, National Library of Medicine and Library of Congress and retired from the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the late 1970s. Since then, she had worked as a consultant in the private sector.

Mrs. Wilkins came to this country from her native Budapest in 1949, settling first in Baltimore and then moving to Washington about 1951. She had a doctorate in languages and philosophy from the University of Budapest and received a master's degree in library science from Catholic University in 1955.

Mrs. Wilkins contributed articles on a variety of scientific and literary subjects to library journals. She was a volunteer with the visitors center at the National Institutes of Health and was active with the American Library Association and the D.C. Library Association.

She was past president of the Special Libraries Association and chaired the research group on foreign affairs of the Chevy Chase Women's Club.

She is survived by her husband, of Chevy Chase.



Jesse S. Bogan, 59, president of Bogan Associates, a consulting firm, died of a heart attack Jan. 23 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Bogan was a technical and management consultant in the areas of housing, economic programs, consumer protection and equal employment opportunity. He started his company in 1984 after three years as an arbitrator with the national Better Business Bureau here and 10 years with the Dale Greene consulting firm.

A native of Selma, Ala., Mr. Bogan received a bachelor's degree from Alabama A&M University and did graduate work at Case Western Reserve University. He served with the Army in West Germany.

Prior to moving here in 1971, Mr. Bogan worked for the Navy in Cleveland and then as a field representative for the city's housing and development department.

He was a member of the Community Ministry of Montgomery County, the Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce and the Black Business League, and served as a deacon at People's Community Baptist Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy W. Bogan of Silver Spring; a son, David S. Bogan of Silver Spring; his mother, Esther B. Bogan of Silver Spring; two brothers, Reginald Bogan of New Burg, N.Y., and James Bogan of San Jose; four sisters, Jannie B. Laster of Cleveland, Alice Fredd of Tuscaloosa, Ala., Ophelia Powell of Palm Beach, Fla., and Mary Bogan Cooper of Sulsun, City, Calif.


Insurance Council Official

Joseph M. McCarthy, 66, assistant vice president of the American Council of Life Insurance, died of cardiac arrhythmia and coronary arteriosclerosis Jan. 24 at his home in Potomac.

Mr. McCarthy moved here to work for the trade association in 1967. He headed its meetings department and coordinated activities of its medical section, a group that studied the impact of medical research on the life insurance industry.

A native of New York City, Mr. McCarthy was a graduate of Manhattan College, where he was associate director of publicity and placement while a student. He also attended Columbia University and the New York Law School, and served in the Army during World War II.

He was editor of the Spectator, an insurance industry trade publication, from 1948 to 1952, and public relations and advertising director at Union Labor Life Insurance Co. until 1957, when he joined the Institute of Life Insurance as a writer. It became the American Council of Life Insurance in 1976.

Mr. McCarthy served on the Montgomery County Commission on Aging and was appointed an officer last month of the Health Promotion Institute of the National Council on the Aging.

Survivors include his wife, Peg McCarthy of Potomac; a son, Paul McCarthy of Rockville, and a daughter, Phyllis McCarthy of Washington.


Air Force Officer, Real Estate Broker

John Patrick Hughes, 70, retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, pilot and personnel officer, died of cancer Jan. 24 at his home in Falls Church. He had lived there for 33 years.

Col. Hughes retired from the Air Force in 1963 after 24 years with the military.

He was a native of Talladega, Ala. He joined the Army Air Corps in 1939 and served with the Air Force during World War II as a pilot in the India-China-Burma theater. He later was a personnel officer in Georgia, Germany and at the Pentagon.

Since 1960, he had worked in real estate, most recently as a broker with Citation Homes Inc. in Falls Church.

He attended the University of Maryland.

Col. Hughes was a past commander for the American Legion of his Falls Church post, Virginia district and "40/8" honor league.

His first wife, Virginia Hughes, died in 1979.

Survivors include his wife, Marilyne Hughes of Falls Church; two daughters by his first marriage, Diane Ferguson of Vienna and Deborah Ballard of Sierra Vista, Ariz.; two stepchildren, Cynthia Clater of Front Royal, Va., and Bruce Reid of Winchester, Va.; a sister, Lucille Vaughn of Tuscaloosa, Ala.; two grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.


NIH Secretary

Roberta Pierce Davis, 69, an executive secretary for 20 years at the National Institutes of Health, died of cancer Jan. 24 at a hospital in Hanover, Pa. A former resident of Rockville, she had lived in Gettysburg, Pa., for nine years.

Mrs. Davis helped her husband, Jack Davis, operate the Brooke Farm restaurant in Chevy Chase from 1963 to 1981, the year she retired from the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases.

Mrs. Davis was born in East Sable River, Nova Scotia. She attended McIntosh College in Dover, N.H., and lived in Washington from 1945 to 1946. She lived in Charleston, S.C., until moving back to Washington in 1958.

In Gettysburg she belonged to the Womens Club and the Newcomers Club.

Her first husband, Franklin S. Milberg, died in 1958.

Survivors include her husband, of Gettysburg; a son by her first marriage, Ronald P. Milburg of North Potomac; her father, Starrett Pierce of North Waterboro, Maine; two brothers, Al Pierce of Brampton, Ontario, and Arthur Pierce of Carthage, Tex.; two sisters, Marjorie Oakes of North Waterboro, and Dorothy White of Lockeport, Nova Scotia; and two grandchildren.



Arthur Wells Caulfield Jr., 74, the former owner and operator of Virginia Business Machines in Alexandria, died Jan. 21 at his home in West Palm Beach, Fla., of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which is also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Mr. Caulfield was born in Washington. As a young man he was a bicycle messenger for Western Union and a bellman at the Mayflower Hotel, then worked as a typewriter repairman for the Federal Housing Administration and at the Pentagon. He served in the Navy at the end of World War II.

In 1954 he opened Virginia Business Machines, which specialized in the sales and service of office machines. He sold the business and retired in the mid 1970s.

A former resident of Alexandria, Mr. Caulfield moved to Florida on his retirement.

His marriages to Daphne Montgomery, Dorothy Edwards and Lillian Suddath ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children of his first marriage, Arthur D. Caulfield of Newmarket, Md., and Frances Lundberg of Rapidan, Va.; two sons of his third marriage, Evan D. Caulfield of Alexandria and W. Glenn Caulfield of West Palm Beach; and five grandchildren.


Editor and Volunteer

Florence Smith "Peg" Skuce, 89, a retired editor at the National Education Association and a social service volunteer who directed a committee that gathered clothing and toys for Children's Hospital, died Jan. 25 at Washington Home Hospice of complications after a stroke.

Mrs. Skuce, who lived in Washington, was born in Flint, Mich. She grew up in Newberry, Mich., and graduated from the University of Michigan.

She came to Washington initially in 1926, but later accompanied her husband, Thomas W. Skuce, on conservation and forestry assignments in West Virginia, China and elsewhere. They returned and settled in Washington in 1941.

Mrs. Skuce was an editor of various publications at the National Education Association from 1952 to 1962.

She had been a volunteer teacher of jewelry making at Children's Village and was active in the Democratic Party.

Her husband died in 1951. Survivors include a son, John E. Skuce of Washington.



Helen S. Kueffner, 102, a 49-year resident of the Washington area who had served during World War II as a volunteer on the D.C. Wartime Ration Board in charge of heating oil applications and later at the Montgomery County Thrift Shop, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 24 at her home in Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Kueffner was born in St. Paul, Minn., and attended the University of Minnesota. Before moving to the Washington area in 1942, she was a musician in Minnesota, where she operated a music studio and founded a children's band.

Her husband of 59 years, William R. Kueffner, died in 1974.

Survivors include two children, Mary-Hill Kueffner French of Chevy Chase and William R. Kueffner of Southport, Conn.; 12 grandchildren; and 21 great-grandchildren.