Carl Eugene Pruett, 70, a retired Navy captain and physician who specialized in aviation medical safety, died Jan. 22 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He had Legionnaires' disease.

Capt. Pruett served 30 years in the Navy before his retirement in 1973 as assistant for medical and allied sciences to the deputy chief of naval operations.

A resident of McLean, he was born in Kinmundy, Ill., and attended the University of Illinois where he received a medical degree in 1943. He was a graduate of the Naval School of Aviation Medicine and served in Washington from 1953 to 1955 as aviation medical safety specialist in the office of the deputy chief of naval operations for air.

Later assignments included sea duty as a flight surgeon in the Pacific and service as chief of the biomedical division of the Air Force Aero Medical Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio.

In 1958 Capt. Pruett was assigned to Point Mugu, Calif., where he helped establish the Pacific Missile Bioscience Office and Life Science Department of the Naval Missile Center. He became a medical monitor for Project Mercury in 1962, and in that capacity served as medical monitor for the earth-orbiting flight of Marine Col. John Glenn.

He was transferred to Washington later that year and served in the office of the deputy chief of naval operations until retirement.

In retirement, Capt. Pruett had collected and catalogued information on Naval medical history.

Survivors include his wife, Jean Kepley Pruett of McLean; three children, Merry Carol Jonkers of Charles Town, W.Va., Roberta L. Beasley of Vienna and Richard K. Pruett of McLean; a brother, the Rev. Walter B. Pruett of Vandalia, Ill.; a sister, Helen Blyth of Batesville, Ark.; and seven grandchildren.



Thomas Aquinas Gilday, 64, an area obstetrician and gynecologist who had delivered several thousand babies during a practice of 35 years, died of lung cancer Jan. 23 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

He lived in Chevy Chase.

Dr. Gilday was a native of New York City and a graduate of Mount St. Mary's College and Cornell Medical School. He was a resident at Georgetown University Hospital and later established offices in Washington, Arlington and Chevy Chase.

He belonged to Alcoholics Anonymous, Columbia Country Club and Blessed Sacrament Church.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth C. Gilday of Chevy Chase; four sons, Thomas A. Gilday Jr. of Rockville, Marine Capt. Mark A. Gilday of Silver Spring, currently serving in the Middle East, Matthew P. Gilday of Chevy Chase and John C. Gilday of Silver Spring; three daughters, Margaret E. Greaney of Kensington, Ellen C. Gilday of Chevy Chase and Maura B. Gilday of Kensington; a brother, John Francis Gilday of Albany, N.Y.; and four grandchildren.


Commerce Department Employee

Marie Loftus Gannan, 81, a retired administrative assistant in the office of the secretary of commerce, died Jan. 12 of congestive heart failure in a nursing home in Clearwater, Fla.

She had lived in Clearwater since 1968.

Mrs. Gannan worked for the federal government for 30 years, the last 10 at the Commerce Department. Her earlier employment was with the Office of Price Administration and the Department of the Interior.

She was a native of Washington and a graduate of Business High School. She attended Strayer College.

Her husband, John Gannan, died in 1960.

Survivors include three sisters, Rosella L. Lyons of Clearwater, Kathleen L. Nixon of Seminole, Fla., and Rita L. Clayton of Washington.


Records Clerk

Jennybelle Wright, 66, a retired Defense Department records clerk, died of cancer Jan. 19 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Wright was born in Queen City, Mo., and attended Missouri State College.

She moved to the Washington area in the mid-1950s, and worked as a Defense Department records clerk until retiring in 1983. She lived in Alexandria.

In retirement, she had been a secretary and administrator at Southern Towers Apartments in Alexandria.

Survivors include a sister, Jeanette Wolf of Knoxville, Tenn.; and a brother, Eskie Wright Jr. of Queen City.