Eleni Sakes Epstein, 65, who as fashion editor of the Washington Star helped put Washington on the international fashion map, died Jan. 28 at her home in Washington. She had scleroderma, a vascular disease.

A Washington native who began her career as a copy girl on the Evening Star, she was one of the first Washington-based fashion writers to travel and write extensively about design trends. During 33 years as fashion editor of the Star, her byline of "Eleni" appeared on stories from Milan, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, New York, Rome and London.

"Her coverage of the European fashion market brought attention to Washington," said Gwen Dobson, former women's editor of the Star. "She was probably responsible for getting some of those designers to come into Washington . . . . I think she was a friend to everybody in the fashion world."

Mrs. Epstein wrote some of the early stories about emerging fashion greats, and as a consistent supporter of local retailers, encouraged designers to have their fashions sold here.

"Eleni was always very proud of the stores in Washington and those dealing with couturier," said her husband, Sidney Epstein, former Star executive editor and associate publisher.

"She always took umbrage when Washingtonians would go to New York to buy their clothing, because she felt there was a market here and that it was very much the same upscale market you would find in New York."

Partial to the work of designer Pauline Trige`re and to jewelry that reflected her Greek heritage, Mrs. Epstein was well-known for her tailored black suits. Over the years her favorite dress remained a 1962 Trige`re design, in black.

Mrs. Epstein was a graduate of Eastern High School and attended George Washington University and Columbia University. She had no training in fashion when she went to work for the Star as a newsroom aide during World War II.

Shortly after her arrival, the job of fashion editor was temporarily vacated and she was given the job of interim editor. She became fashion editor and remained in the job until the Star ceased publication in 1981.

She had been involved for some time with the Fashion Group International, an organization that, among other education programs, awards scholarships to promising students. Mrs. Epstein was one of the forces behind the scholarship program, and in 1983 the organization established an award in her name.

She also had received decorations for her coverage from the governments of Italy and Greece. She was the first recipient, in 1960, of the University of Missouri fashion writing award.

She was honored by the State Department for her work with cultural exchange programs and by the Men's Wear Institute. She wrote a segment on Pauline Trige`re for the Fashion Institute of Technology that was part of a book called "American Fashion." In 1977 she inaugurated the Smithsonian Institution's first "Fashion as Culture" lecture series.

She also received a 1990 lifetime achievement award from the Shoreham Hotel.

Mrs. Epstein continued to lecture about four times a year on fashion. She was featured on a cruise of a new ship, the Royal Viking Sun, last year.

In addition to her husband of 33 years, of Washington, she is survived by a brother, James Sakes of Washington.


Government Geologist

Walter S. White, 75, a geologist who worked for the U.S. Geological Survey, where he was a researcher and administrator, for 41 years before retiring in 1980, died Jan. 27 at his home in Chevy Chase after a stroke.

He joined the Geological Survey in 1939, and worked in Michigan, New England and the South before settling here in 1954. Over the years, he did research on the origin of northern Michigan's copper deposits as well as projects involving manganese, asbestos, graphite and aluminum. He had served as chief of the Geological Survey's regional geology office and supervised geologic mapping projects.

Dr. White was a native of Cambridge, Mass. He was a 1936 graduate of Harvard University, received a master's degree from the California Institute of Technology and a doctorate in geology from Harvard. During World War II, he had been a terrain intelligence specialist in the Southwest Pacific.

Dr. White was a member of the Society of Economic Geologists, and was named a 1991 recipient of its Marsden Award. He had served as president of Economic Geology Publishing Co., which was affiliated with the society.

He was the author of more than 60 technical papers and maps and held the Interior Department's Distinguished Service Award. He was a member of the Cosmos Club and the Kenwood Golf and Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, the former Jean Jameson, of Chevy Chase; a son, Thomas Glover White of Frederick, Md.; and a sister, Janet White Averill of Northampton, Mass.


Deputy Fire Chief

John F. Lieb, 75, retired D.C. deputy fire chief, died of Parkinson's disease Jan. 21 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.

Mr. Lieb, who lived in Washington, was born in Benwood, W.Va., and moved to the Washington area as an infant. He joined the Fire department in 1938 and retired on disability in 1970.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth R. Lieb of Washington; two children, Deborah J. Lieb of Washington and John F. Lieb Jr. of Gaithersburg; a sister, Marion Falvey of Ocean City, Md.; a brother, Louis M. Lieb of Fenwick Island, Del.; a half brother, William Lieb of Littleton, Colo.; and three grandchildren.


Sales Representative

Loretta Maria Harris, 33, a membership sales representative for Worldgate Athletic Club in Herndon, died Jan. 26 at Reston Hospital of a mitral valve prolapse, a closing of a heart valve.

Mrs. Harris, who lived in Herndon, was born in Panama and moved to the Washington area as an infant. She graduated from Arlington's Bishop Denis J. O'Connell High School and Northern Virginia Community College.

Before joining the staff at Worldgate Athletic Club last year, Mrs. Harris was an aerobics instructor for about eight years. She had worked at the Health Club of Reston, Centrium in Fairfax and Spa Lady in Gaithersburg.

Survivors include her husband, Ross Harris, and three children, Jessica, Annie and Lindsay Harris, all of Herndon; her mother, Dorothy Facciolo of McLean; three sisters, Angela Bergman of Centreville, and Donna Facciolo and Christina Facciolo, both of McLean; a brother, Anthony Facciolo of McLean; and her grandmothers, Mary Facciolo of Alexandria and Viola Withers of Rockville.


Air Force Management Analyst

Jone C. Stokes, 75, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and management analyst, died of a heart attack Jan. 25 at his home in Temple Hills.

He was president of Televisual Systems Corp., a consulting firm, from 1973 until 1982.

Col. Stokes had maintained a home in this area since 1941, when he came here to work as a management analyst at the Bureau of the Budget. He served as a management analyst in the Army Air Forces during World War II, returned to the Budget Bureau for several years, then joined the Air Force in 1951.

He served with the Ballistic Missile Division in Southern California, at Andrews Air Force Base and in Saigon, where he was a military historian on the staff of Gen. William Westmoreland.

After retiring from the Air Force in 1973, Col. Stokes continued work that he had begun with the Air Force, as a consultant to the President's Advisory Council on Management Improvement. He was a consultant on telecommunications policy to the Commerce Department as well as the White House.

A native of Charlotte, N.C., Col. Stokes attended George Washington University and the University of Southern California. He was a graduate of the Air War College.

He was vice president of the Public Members Association of the Foreign Service and a former member of the Center for the Study of the Presidency.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Jewell Stokes of Temple Hills; a son, Kenneth B. Stokes of Newport, Vt.; a brother, Jarrial A. Stokes of Charlotte; three sisters, Reba Kelly of Ellicott City, and Polly Wilson and Bobbie Foard, both of Charlotte; and two grandchildren.


WCTU Lobbyist

Mildred Barker Harman, 90, a retired lobbyist for the National Women's Christian Temperance Union, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 27 at a hospital in Gettysburg, Pa. A longtime resident of Kensington, she had lived in Carroll Valley, Pa., since her retirement from the WCTU in 1970.

Mrs. Harman belonged to the WCTU much of her life, and was full-time director of its legislative bureau for 10 years. Among the legislation for which she campaigned were tougher laws against drunken driving.

A native of Morgantown, W.Va., and a journalism graduate of West Virginia University, Mrs. Harman moved to this area in 1942. She worked for the Army Quartermaster Corps during World War II and taught English for several years at Kensington Junior High School. She also was a correspondent for Montgomery County newspapers.

She helped organize the Kensington branch of the American Association of University Women and the Business and Professional Club of Kensington. She served on the Kensington Town Council in the 1950s.

She also was editor for four years of The Pen Woman, the publication of the National League of American Pen Women, and was a member for 60 years of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Her husband, Charles Nash Harman, died in 1967. Survivors include a daughter, Alice Evelyn Harman of Carroll Valley; a son, Charles Morgan Harman of Durham, N.C.; and three grandchildren.


Property Manager

James F. "Jake" Quidley, 70, a retired Agency for International Development and Army Department employee who also had been a sports coach and referee, died of cancer Jan. 24 at Stella Maris Hospice in Towson, Md.

Mr. Quidley, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Washington. He graduated from Central High School and attended George Washington University. During World War II he served in the Army in North Africa and Europe.

Before the war he had worked as a civilian employee of the War Department, and he returned to the department after the war. He was assigned in the office of the adjutant general, where he was a files and mails supervisor. He joined AID in 1961 in the overseas support division, where he was a property management officer and acting division chief. He retired from the government in 1972.

As a young man, Mr. Quidley played baseball and basketball in the Washington area. Later he coached football, baseball and basketball at the Hyattsville Boys Club and served as a referee at D.C. Department of Recreation basketball games and as a softball umpire.

He was a member of the Moose Lodge in College Park, the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Lanham and was past post adjutant of the American Legion in Greenbelt.

Survivors include his wife, LaVonne Schofield of Beltsville; and three children, Pamela Jo Quidley of Hyattsville, Richard M. Quidley of Beltsville and William B. Quidley of Bowie.


Air Force Colonel

Carroll H. Donnell, 69, a retired Air Force colonel who specialized in communications electronics, died of cancer Jan. 26 at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

Col. Donnell, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Ardmore, Pa. He joined the Army Air Forces in 1942 and served in Europe during World War II.

Later assignments included duty in Germany, Iceland, Washington and Strategic Air Command Headquarters in Nebraska. He graduated from George Washington University while serving in the Air Force.

Col. Donnell retired from the Air Force in 1974 after having served in the Netherlands as a future communications planning specialist for NATO.

On retirement he settled in the Washington area and had worked as a tax consultant for H&R Block.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy M. Donnell of Fairfax; two children, Douglass Donnell of Loring Air Force Base, Maine, and Susan Newsome of Burke; two brothers, William R. Donnell of Lake Worth, Fla., and Jack C. Donnell of Denver; and two grandchildren.


Parking Systems Official

John H. Green, 67, president of Parking Control Systems, died Jan. 26 at Holy Cross Hospital after a stroke.

Mr. Green, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Holdenville, Okla. He moved to the Washington area as a young man, and in 1953 founded the company that became Parking Control Systems, which installs parking equipment and sets up parking facilities at buildings and other locations throughout the Washington area.

He was a member of the Washington Parking Association.

Survivors include three brothers.


Magnetic Physicist

Louis R. Maxwell, 90, a retired magnetic physicist with the Naval Ordinance Laboratory, died of pneumonia Jan. 27 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

Dr. Maxwell, who retired in 1970 after 23 years at NOL, was chief of the solid state division of the physics research department.

During World War II, he worked for the Bureau of Ships, where he did research into magnetic minesweeping. One of his assignments after the war was to cruise into Japanese harbors to oversee the recovery of mines with newly developed magnetic processes.

He had lived in the Washington area about 60 years. Born in Waterloo, Iowa, Dr. Maxwell attended Cornell College in Iowa, and received a doctorate in physics from the University of Minnesota.

He worked at the Agricultural Research Center here between 1935 and 1942. After his retirement from NOL, he worked on his own to test nuclear magnetic processes in living animals. His findings, detailed in several scientific publications, described the use of nuclear magnetics as anonsurgical diagnostic tool for detecting cancer, a procedure now widely used.

Dr. Maxwell was a member of the Cosmos Club and the American Physical Society.

His first wife, Lydia Marie Maxwell, died in 1952. His second wife, Marion C. Maxwell, died in 1971. Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth M. Maxwell, of Bethesda; two children by his first marriage, Louis R. Maxwell Jr. and Jean Maxwell Stringham, both of Bethesda; two stepdaughters, Patricia Rodrigues of Springfield, Mass., and Barbara Gonsalves of Pompano Beach, Fla.; 14 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Legislative Representative

Ernest Giddings, 93, a retired legislative representative and membership unit worker with the American Association of Retired Persons, died of pneumonia Jan. 25 at Washington Adventist Hospital. He lived in Takoma Park.

Mr. Giddings came here in 1945 and spent the next 16 years with the National Education Association, where he was a legislative representative. He worked for the AARP from 1961 until retiring in 1985.

He was a charter member of the AARP and a member of the NEA, the American Association of School Administrators, and Federal Schoolmen's Club.

Mr. Giddings was a teacher and administrator in his native Michigan for 27 years before coming here. He was a graduate of what is now Western Michigan University and received a master's degree in education from Michigan State University.

His wife, Helen, died in 1989. Survivors include a son, M.E. Giddings of Waxhall, N.C.; two daughters, Carolyn Capizola of Columbia, and Elaine Giddings of Takoma Park; a sister and a brother, both of Michigan; six grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


Program Manager

Betty Jean Watkins Wakeen, 47, a retired program manager at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Dahlgren, Va., and a former teacher at Central High School in Seat Pleasant, died of cancer Jan. 26 at her home in Port Tobacco.

Mrs. Wakeen was born in Washington. She graduated from Suitland High School and Frostbrug State College where she also received a master's degree in education. She taught at Central High School from 1965 to 1969, then from 1969 to 1975 taught in Defense Department schools in Newfoundland and in Stuttgart, Germany.

Later she worked for the Federal Home Loan Bank Board and several home improvement contractors and operated a lawn care business, Lawn Magic. She had been at the Naval Surface Warfare Center for about six years when she retired on disability last year.

Survivors include her husband, Gerald J. Wakeen of Port Tobacco; her parents, Eileen and Ben Watkins of Upper Marlboro; a sister, Carol Ann Hayden of Sunderland, Md.; a brother, Benny Watkins of Upper Marlboro; and a stepdaughter, Vicki Hamill of Silver Spring.


Technical Writer & Editor

Hugh Jordan Davis, 62, a technical writer and senior technical editor who had worked for the IIT Research Institute in Annapolis for the past 15 years, died Jan. 25 at his home in Greensboro, Md., after a heart attack.

He worked for several private organizations, including ERCO in Riverdale and ITT in Columbia, before joining IIT. That organization produces technical manuscripts for the government.

Mr. Davis, a Maine native and former College Park resident, lived here from 1948 to the mid-1970s. He then moved to Annapolis and then Greensboro. He was a graduate of the University of Maryland and served with the Navy in the Atlantic during World War II.

He had been an amateur actor and had been a member of the Elks.

His marriage to the former Josephine Singer ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Charlotte Martinski, died in 1982.

Survivors include two sons by his first marriage, Kenneth, of Laurel, and Kathryn Davis of Greenbelt; a sister of Boston; and three grandchildren.


Church Charter Member

Alice Royston Hughes, 98, who was believed to be the last charter member of the Chevy Chase Baptist Church, died of anemia Jan. 27 at her home in Chevy Chase. She had lived there since 1923.

A native of Ravenswood, Va., and a graduate of Warrenton High School, Mrs. Hughes moved to Washington in 1912. She served as president of the Women's Missionary Society at Chevy Chase Baptist and a board member of the Baptist Home for Children. An avid gardener, she belonged for many years to the Woman's Club of Chevy Chase.

Her husband, William Hughes, died in 1956. Survivors include six daughters, Virginia Hughes Schlotzhauer of Fort Washington, Elizabeth Hughes Allen of Bethesda, Erma Hughes Kirkpatrick of Chapel Hill, N.C., Margaret Hughes Cutler of Bethesda, Barbara Hughes Parsons of Charleston, W.Va., and Ruth Ann Hughes Jones of Derwood; two sons, William Royston Hughes of Lake Barcroft and Donald Thomas Hughes of Darnestown; 26 grandchildren; and 28 great-grandchildren.


D.C. Native

Nelson David Forame, 48, a native Washingtonian who for the last three years had worked for the Salvation Army in Santa Monica, Calif., as resident manager of a men's rehabilitation center, died of cancer Jan. 26 at a nursing home in Santa Monica.

Mr. Forame grew up in Hillcrest Heights and graduated from Suitland High School. After high school he worked for his father at Forame's Amoco service station in Washington, then in 1978 moved to West Palm Beach, Fla., where he was a route salesman for Charlie's Chips. He moved to California five years ago and worked for the Salvation Army in Los Angeles before moving to Santa Monica.

His marriage to the former Evelyn Codner ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Army Sgt. Nelson Allen Forame, who is serving in Persian Gulf; his father, G. Frank Forame of Rehoboth Beach, Del.; one sister, Marlene Davis of Burtonsville; and two brothers, Frank Roy Forame of Upper Marlboro and Timothy Gates Forame of Houston.


Furniture Finisher

Eugene F. Combs, 66, a self-employed furniture finisher, died of respiratory failure and cancer Jan. 26 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Combs, who lived in Rockville, was born in Stony Point, N.C. He served in the Navy during World War II, then in 1946 moved to the Washington area. Later he served in the Merchant Marine, and while serving there married Alice Hindle Ward in Glasgow, Scotland.

They returned to Washington, and Mr. Combs worked as a furniture finisher for Malcolm Scates and W.J. Sloan & Co. until about 10 years ago, when he became a self-employed furniture finisher.

Survivors include his wife, of Rockville; a son, Donald Ian Combs of Mount Airy, Md.; and three grandchildren.



Bella Mysell Yablokoff, 89, an area resident for the past five years who was a retired actress in the Yiddish theater in New York City, died of a heart ailment Jan. 17 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

After moving here from her native New York City, Mrs. Yablokoff lived in Chevy Chase before entering the Hebrew Home in 1990. She had acted in the Yiddish theater for 50 years before retiring about 1980.

Her marriage to Alexander Olshanetsky ended in divorce. Her second husband, Herman Yablokoff, died in 1981.

Survivors include a daughter by her first marriage, Anita Willens of Chevy Chase; a stepson, Jack Yablokoff of Brooklyn, N.Y.; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.



Johnnie Jacob Miller Sr., 70, a retired painter at the Mount Vernon estate of George Washington, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 27 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Mr. Miller, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Alexandria. He served in the Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II.

He was a painter at Mount Vernon from 1953 until he retired in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Fraley Miller; a son, Johnnie J. Miller Jr., and two brothers, George Miller Jr. and James H. Miller, all of Fairfax; and a sister, Margaret M. Perry of Fredericksburg, Va.