Ralph A. "Skeeter" Elliott, 84, a retired Washington lawyer who specialized in energy-related matters and a former Washington correspondent and editor of Electric Light & Power magazine, died of cancer Jan. 24 at his home in Arlington.

Mr. Elliott was born in Washington and graduated from McKinley Tech High School. He attended George Washington University, then served in the Merchant Marine, operating out of Europe and North Africa.

In 1932, he began working for what later became the Oliphant Washington Service, an information and consulting organization for electric and natural gas utilities on activities of Congress and the executive and judicial branches of the federal government.

He received a law degree in 1936 from National University's law school and continued working for Oliphant until retiring in 1980. He specialized in reporting and analyzing Supreme Court rulings and actions of the Federal Power Commission and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.

He became Washington correspondent for Electric Light & Power in 1936 and in 1954 was named its Washington editor. He served in that capacity until 1968.

Mr. Elliott was a member of the American and Federal Energy Bar Associations, the National Press Club and Washington Golf & Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Sallee Elliott of Arlington; two children, Elizabeth Ann Jordan of Falls Church, and Richard S. Elliott of Lexington, Ky.; a sister, Helen Thore of Washington; and three grandsons.


Union Activist

George E. Fairchild, 82, secretary-treasurer emeritus of the Service Employees International Union and a union activist since 1931, died of cancer Jan. 29 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Fairchild, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Maywood, Ill. He joined the Service Employees International Union while working as a school custodian in suburban Chicago and rose through the ranks there as an organizer and local union official.

He was elected international secretary-treasurer in 1955 and moved to Washington when the union relocated here in 1961. He retired in 1976. Mr. Fairchild also had served on the executive board of International Union Secretary-Treasurers and on a subcommittee to write AFL-CIO ethical practice codes.

His first wife, Lorraine Rose Fairchild, died in 1954. Survivors include his wife, Elaine Fairchild of Bethesda; three children by his first marriage, John Fairchild of San Francisco, Patricia Fairchild of Clam Lake, Wis., and Betty Pauley of Chicago; and six grandchildren.


Art Aficionado

Louise Clarke Stafford, 82, a Washington native who had a lifelong interest in art, died Jan. 24 of cancer at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Stafford attended Central High School and worked as a secretary from 1930 to 1934 at the Washington Gas Light Co. She studied art as a young woman and continued painting over the years. She was a longtime supporter of the Phillips Collection.

Mrs. Stafford was a volunteer for the Red Cross during World War II. She had served several terms as president of Gamma Delta Sigma, a social organization.

Survivors include her husband, Edward T. Stafford, whom she married in 1934, who lives in Washington; a son, Edward Stafford Jr. of Bethesda; a daughter, Suzanne Stafford of Mill Valley, Calif.; two sisters, Bessie Lord of North Vassalboro, Maine, and Martha Burch of Gaithersburg; and two grandchildren.


Sales Representative

Howard V. Norton, 90, a retired sales representative and travel agent, died of cancer Jan. 27 at Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Norton moved here in 1941 from his native New York City. He was a cashier of foreign exchange with the American Express company for 23 years in New York and Washington, and a sales representative with Pan American World Airways in Washington for 22 years. He retired from Pan Am in 1966.

He worked part time after that as a travel agent, for Thomas Cook Travel and Old Dominion Travel Service.

Mr. Norton belonged to Franconia United Methodist Church and Belle Haven Country Club. He was a past president of the Washington Bons Vivants.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Norton of Alexandria; a son, Robert Norton of Springfield; and three granddaughters.



Ronald Francis Wright, 54, a pressman who had worked 25 years until last year for Omega Printing Service in Bethesda, died of liver ailments Jan. 29 at Prince George's Hospital Center.

Mr. Wright, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Takoma Park and grew up in Washington.

He played guitar, sang and wrote songs for a country music band, Slim Morgan and the Greenridge Mountain Boys, and he had played before local audiences.

His marriage to Nancy Jo Wright ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Deborah Clark of New Carrollton, Ronald Wright Jr. of Spotsylvania, Va., and Sharon Wright of Waldorf; four stepchildren, Robert Demer, Gary Demer and Michael Demer of Landover Hills and Karen Demer Stults of Germantown; two sisters, Doris Phelps of Elk Ridge, Va., and Louise McCabe of New Carrollton; and five grandchildren.