A former garbage worker was found guilty yesterday of attempted first-degree rape after a second trial in Montgomery County on charges he forced his way into a Silver Spring house and dragged a woman from room to room before robbing her of $150.

A Circuit Court jury convicted Felton R. Shaw, 26, after two hours of deliberations. Shaw could be sentenced to life in prison.

Shaw's first trial ended in a hung jury last August on the attempted rape charge, although he was convicted of assault, robbery and housebreaking charges stemming from the April 6 attack.

Yesterday's verdict came after a two-day trial that was a virtual rehash of the first one. Jurors at both trials heard a tape recording of the victim's frantic 911 call to police to report the attempted rape and robbery. The victim, a 32-year-old architect, testified at both trials.

The defense called no witnesses at either trial.

The assault occurred around 8 a.m., when the woman said she noticed a trash collection crew in her neighborhood near Montgomery Blair High School. The victim said she ran to her door with two bags of garbage for the trash collector.

The woman testified Shaw pushed his way into her house and demanded sex. While her 2-year-old daughter was screaming and crying, the woman said she struggled with Shaw, who dragged her through several rooms and up a stairway. The struggle lasted about 20 minutes, the woman said.

"I knew I had to fight," the woman testified. "I was afraid that he was going to rape me, and two, that he would kill me."

The woman, whose jaw was dislocated in the struggle, said she finally was able to escape from Shaw by offering him money. "I told him, 'I have $150 in my purse. Please take the money.' "

Shaw ran away from the house after taking the money, the victim said. Police arrested Shaw with a crew of sanitation workers several blocks from the victim's house.

The jury at Shaw's first trial in August deadlocked 11 to 1 on the attempted rape charge. The panel deliberated 10 hours over two days. The holdout juror said she did not believe the victim's testimony. "There was not enough evidence there for me to believe her," the juror said.

In closing statements yesterday, defense attorney Barry Helfand said Shaw should be acquitted of the attempted rape charge because the prosecution had failed to prove his client intended to engage in sexual intercourse with the victim. Helfand said Shaw did not fondle the victim or remove the woman's clothes while he was struggling with her.

But Assistant State's Attorney Robert L. Dean said the victim's "tenacity and resistance did not give {Shaw} the opportunity to do what he wanted to do." Dean said Shaw should not be cleared because "he did not go far enough" in attempting to rape the woman.