Douglas N. Schneider Jr., 58, who campaigned vigorously as the District's first transportation director to get cars off the streets and people into buses and subways, died of cancer Jan. 29 at his home in Bellevue, Wash.

As head of the city's road, mass transit, vehicle registration and parking operations from 1975 until 1980, Mr. Schneider was an avowed enemy of freeways in the city. He was one of the first urban transportation directors in the country to divert federal highway money to rapid-rail construction.

This was critical to construction of the Metro system, which stretches miles beyond the District into its suburbs. Long planned but drained of funds in 1975, Metro was about to cease construction when Mr. Schneider took over the newly organized transportation department.

With the approval of then-Mayor Walter E. Washington and the D.C. Council, Mr. Schneider engineered the transfer of about $300 million in freeway construction funds to the Metrorail project, even though most of the money was to be used for suburban links.

This action, approved by federal officials, set a national precedent for tapping highway trust funds to create mass transportation systems. By the time Mr. Schneider left the city government, about $2 billion in federal road money had been plowed into Metro construction.

Mr. Schneider, who went for long periods without owning a car, took buses to work from his home in Glover Park. He loved to chide other city officials who insisted on driving. "I think it's immoral for somebody to drive a car downtown," he once said.

"He considered freeways ugly polluters of the environment," said Ben Gilbert, a former city planning director and Schneider's longtime colleague. "Given the enormous investment in mass transit, he felt it was silly to permit the auto to dominate . . . . He was a man who acted on his convictions that the cities belonged to people, not to automobiles."

Mr. Schneider infuriated suburban commuters by restoring two-way traffic during rush hours on some high-speed routes into downtown Washington. But it was a move that delighted city-dwellers who felt threatened by the freeway-like traffic. When he left the city government, hundreds of supporters jammed a testimonial dinner in his honor.

He fought to block cars from being allowed to turn right at red lights, which he considered unsafe. When he lost that battle he simply directed the installation of "No Turn on Red" signs at four out of every five intersections in the city.

He also mounted an attack against illegal parking, and when the police department failed to cooperate fully, created his own corps of meter monitors to patrol city streets.

As part of his campaign to make buses more convenient, he was one of the first urban transportation directors to reserve curb lanes on busy streets for buses. He also fought for subsidized fares on Metrobuses and subways, in part to help accommodate low-income riders who depended on public transportation to get to work, and in part to lure drivers out of their cars.

A native of Lincoln, Neb., Mr. Schneider moved to Washington in 1958, after receiving a master's degree from the University of Michigan. He had a bachelor's degree in political science from Johns Hopkins University.

His early work was as executive director of the old Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Commission, which regulated the area's private bus systems. He helped mobilize a public takeover by Metro of the financially troubled bus lines in 1973.

As a member of the transportation planning board of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, Mr. Schneider helped block construction of a planned inner-loop freeway around downtown Washington. That effectively halted development of the federal freeway system at the city limits.

He facilitated removal of the subsidy for federal worker parking in downtown Washington, an action put into effect by President Carter but reversed by President Reagan when he took office in 1981.

Mr. Schneider resigned from the city government in 1980, saying he was tired, and a little bored, after five years at the same job. He became a transportation consultant. This work led him in 1984 to help set up a bus system in Saudi Arabia to carry 1 million pilgrims each year to Mecca. That was one mass-transit system that Mr. Schneider, who was not a Moslem, was barred by tradition from using.

He lived in Washington until 1986, when he moved to Denver to begin a stint as head of the transportation division of the city department of public works. He bought a car that year.

In 1987, he moved to Bellevue and returned to consulting work.

His marriage to Linda Schneider ended in divorce.

He is survived by his wife, Judith Carr Schneider of Bellevue; four children from his first marriage, Mark Schneider of Ojai, Calif., Jeffrey Schneider of Wheaton, Eric Schneider of Arlington and Jennifer Schneider of Washington, D.C.; his mother, Ebba Schneider of San Jose; three sisters, Jean Walton of Freehold, N.J., Marianna Becker of Los Gatos, Calif., and Jayne Jamieson of San Diego; and five grandchildren.

PHYLLIS HALLAM MILANS

Teacher

Phyllis Hallam Milans, 82, a retired elementary school teacher, died of a stroke Jan. 26 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

A resident of Rehoboth Beach, Del., and Bethany Beach, Fla., since 1961, Mrs. Milans moved to Alexandria in September. She lived in Bethesda during the 1940s and 1950s.

Mrs. Milans was born in Washington and was a graduate of Eastern High School and Wilson Normal School.

She taught at Gunston Hall Elementary School in the 1930s and at Mrs. Cook's School during World War II.

Mrs. Milans was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and an organization called the P.E.O.

She is survived by her husband of 55 years, Albert Joseph Milans of Alexandria.

FANNEY NEYMAN LITVIN

FCC Hearing Examiner

Fanney Neyman Litvin, 90, who as an early hearing examiner of the Federal Communications Commission was instrumental in the granting of many of the nation's early television and FM radio licenses, died of a heart attack Jan. 28 at George Washington University Hospital. She had lived in Washington since 1925.

A native of Butte, Mont., Mrs. Litvin came here to work on Capitol Hill and attend George Washington University law school. She was a high school graduate at the age of 15, and had received degrees from Montana State College and Silver Bowl Law College before moving here.

She joined the Federal Radio Commission, a forerunner of the FCC, as its first female staff attorney in 1928. She was appointed one of the first FCC hearing examiners 18 years later.

That appointment came as the commission began opening up broadcasting nationwide to the fledgling television industry after World War II. Mrs. Litvin conducted many of the lengthy hearings into applications for some 50 channels availble for use. Her recommendations to the commission were implemented in large part.

She also heard applications for the then-expanding network of FM radio outlets in the country.

Mrs. Litvin retired from the FCC in 1955 and worked for another 10 years as a communications lawyer in private practice, mainly representing radio stations.

She belonged to Adas Israel Congregation and World Peace Through Law, and was a founding member of the Montana State Society.

Her husband, Philip Litvin, died in 1951. She is survived by a sister, Lena Neyman Rudolph of Albuquerque.

ALONZO FREEMAN JR.

Baltimore Teacher

Alonzo Freeman Jr., 73, a longtime resident of Washington who taught in Baltimore City elementary schools for nearly 40 years, died of a heart attack Jan. 27 at his home in Baltimore. He moved there from Washington in 1979.

Mr. Freeman was a native of Blacksburg, Va., and a graduate of Bluefield State College. He served in the Pacific during World War II as a pharmacists' mate in the Navy.

After moving to Washington in 1946, Mr. Freeman taught at the Carlington School in Bowie for four years and then joined the Baltimore school system.

He taught at Neval Thomas Elementary School in Washington from 1963 to 1965 and then returned to Baltimore. After his retirement in 1983 and until his death, he continued with the school system as a full-time substitute teacher.

Mr. Freeman belonged to the Veterans of Foreign Wars and Omega Psi Phi social fraternity.

His first wife, Cortez Freeman, died in 1974. His second wife, Quanita Freeman, died in 1980.

Survivors include three sons from his first marriage, Charles Freeman of Mitchellville, Cecil Freeman of Upper Marlboro and Keith Freeman of Seabrook; a sister, Beatrice Walker of Blacksburg; and six grandchildren.

MARGUERITE KEANE GREENE

GAO Clerk

Marguerite Keane Greene, 95, a retired clerk with the General Accounting Office, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 29 at Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Bethesda. She had lived in Chevy Chase for 52 years.

Mrs. Greene was a Washington native and a graduate of Sacred Heart Academy. She worked at the GAO's division of audits for 38 years before retiring in 1953.

She also helped her late husband, Thomas F. Greene, operate the Thomas F. Greene Grocery and Liquor Store in the 400 block of Sixth Street NW until it was sold in 1964.

Mrs. Greene was a member of the Catholic Daughters of America and St. Ann's Catholic Church in Washington. She was active with the Democratic Party in Montgomery County.

Her husband died in 1969. There are no immediate survivors.