Abelardo L. Valencia, 88, a journalist who served here for many years as a press aide at the Philippine Embassy, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 29 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

A native of Calapan, on the Philippine island of Mindoro, Mr. Valencia had lived in Washington since 1947, when he came here to be press attache. He began his career as a business and political reporter in 1927 with the Manila Daily Bulletin.

During much of World War II he was a war correspondent and after the liberation of the islands joined the U.S. Office of War Information as a reporter with its newspaper, Free Philippines. After the war he was news editor at the Manila bureau of the Associated Press.

Mr. Valencia was press attache in Washington from 1947 to 1951 and again from 1954 to 1959. Between those assignments he was Washington correspondent for the Philippines News Service.

From 1959 until his retirement in 1986, he was both a Washington-based special assistant to five presidents of the Philippines and press counselor to the Philippines mission to the United Nations.

Mr. Valencia belonged to Sigma Delta Chi, the National Press Club and the Overseas Press Club of America.

His wife, Socorro R. Valencia, died in 1983. Survivors include four sons, Abelardo Valencia Jr. of Columbia, Ramon Valencia of Adelphi, Eduardo Valencia of Silver Sprng and Enrique Valencia of Channel Islands, Calif.; a daughter, Maria V. Ludwig of Van Nuys, Calif.; 14 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Local Volunteer

Harriet Howard Gano, 88, a volunteer with several Navy organizations and other groups, died of cardio-respiratory arrest Jan. 31 at Fair Oaks Hospital. She lived in Falls Church.

Mrs. Gano maintained a home here for 45 years. She and her husband, Navy Vice Adm. Roy Alexander Gano, settled here permanently in 1964 when he retired as commander of the Military Sea Transport Service.

Mrs. Gano acccompanied her husband to posts in China, Japan, the Philippines, Hawaii and eight cities in the United States during his 38-year Navy career.

She served as president of the U.S. Society of Sponsors, an organization of people who had christened ships, and of the Naval Officers' Wives Club here. She also was active with the Soldier, Sailor, Marine and Airmen's Club; the Military Sea Transport Service Wives' Club and the Navy Relief Ball.

Mrs. Gano, a native of Redwood Falls, Minn., studied art at Carleton College and was a graduate of the University of Minnesota. She taught art in Fond du Lac, Wis., for several years, and also taught briefly here at the Juniper Lane School. A portrait artist, she studied painting at the Corcoran School of Art.

Mrs. Gano was active with the Washington-Tokyo Women's Club, the Camp Fire Girls, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, the League of Women Voters and the University Women's Club. She also had worked with emotionally disturbed children at St. Elizabeths Hospital.

Adm. Gano died in 1971. Mrs. Gano's survivors include a daughter, Jeanne Gano Steele of Pequannock, N.J.; a son, James A. Gano of Falls Church; a brother, Charles Howard of Minneapolis; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Navy Commander

Harold K. Von Egger, 71, a retired Navy commander who had been a fighter pilot during World War II and the Korean War and later was an intelligence specialist, died of cardiac arrest Jan. 29 at Fairfax Hospital.

Cmdr. Von Egger, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Clinton, Miss. He attended Port Arthur College in Texas, then joined the Navy in 1940.

He was a fighter pilot aboard the carrier Enterprise in the Pacific during World War II and aboard the Essex during the Korean conflict. In the late 1950s and in 1960, he was intelligence officer aboard the carrier Independence. He commanded an all-weather air squadron at Quonset Point, R.I., in 1960 and 1961.

He had attended the Naval War College, the Navy Intelligence School and the Armed Forces Staff College. From 1961 to 1965, he was assigned at the Pentagon in the office of the Chief of Naval Operations.

He retired from the Navy in 1970, after having served in a tactical photo interpretation unit in Ohio.

In retirement, Cmdr. Von Egger returned to the Washington area and worked 10 years as an engineer with Computer Sciences Corp. in Falls Church.

Survivors include his wife, Joan B. Von Egger of Fairfax; a son, Lowell T. Von Egger of Germantown; and two grandchildren.


Army Colonel

Gordon Elliott Murch, 77, a retired Army colonel, died of cancer and cardiac arrest Jan. 31 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital.

Col. Murch was born in Somerville, Mass. He joined the Army in 1930, and served in Hawaii and at various posts in the continental United States before World War II. He was commissioned during the war, and served as a tank commander in Europe, participating in the D-Day landings in Normandy and in the Battle of the Bulge.

He served with occupation forces in Japan after the war, then as an infantry officer in the Korean War. He received four Silver Stars, a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

After the war he returned to the United States, where he served at various Army posts in the South and in Washington, attended and taught at the Army War College and served at the Pentagon. He retired from the Army in 1964 after having served in Paris at Supreme Headquarters, Allied Powers Europe.

Since retirement, Col. Murch had lived in Arlington. He was a member of the Army Navy Country Club.

His wife of 54 years, Adelaide W. Murch, died in 1988. Survivors include two children, Robert G. Murch of Beacon, N.Y., and Jacquelyn Kamin of New York City; and five grandchildren.


Navy Dept. Employee

Josephine McCorkle James, 90, retired head of the biographies and research branch of the Navy's office of information, died Jan. 30 of pneumonia at her home in Washington.

Mrs. James retired in 1964 after 23 years with the Navy Department, primarily as writer of biographies. That employment was interrupted for a year during World War II, when she served in the Women's Army Corps in Georgia. At the time, all three of her sons also were serving in the military.

She was a native of Newton, N.C., and attended Catawba College, Newton Business College and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Mrs. James, who had lived here since 1940, was a member of Georgetown Presbyterian Church and belonged to the Society of Army Daughters and the American Legion Auxiliary in Newton.

Her first husband, Fred H. Yount, died in 1927. Her second husband, Robert W. James, died in 1940.

Survivors include two sons by her first marriage, John M. Yount of Greensboro and Frank W. Yount of Bethesda; two sisters, Anabel Bird and Anne Knox, both of Washington; a brother, Charles M. McCorkle of Carmel, Calif.; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.



Bedros Doudaklian, 64, a cobbler who operated a Falls Church shoe repair business, died of cancer Jan. 27 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Doudaklian was born in Beirut, where he was a cobbler until immigrating to the United States in 1977. He had operated Bedos Shoe Repair in Falls Church since arriving in this country.

Survivors include his wife, Never Doudaklian of Falls Church; four sons, Sako, of Burke, Vahe, of Gaithersburg, Viken, of Arlington, and Vatche, of Falls Church; a daughter, Sara Doudaklian of Johnston, R.I.; and two grandchildren.



Ruby L. Bakken, 79, a retired secretary for the Department of Agriculture's Soil Conservation Service, died of complications of diabetes Jan. 26 at a hospital in Seattle.

Miss Bakken was born in Seattle. She moved to the Washington area and began working for the Soil Conservation Service in 1934. She retired in 1969.

She was a former secretary of the Washington State Society and a member of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees.

In 1980 she moved from Potomac to Seattle.

Survivors include a brother, Elmer Bakken of Seattle.