John Zabilsky, 85, a retired Navy captain who specialized in shipbuilding and ship repair, died Jan. 29 at Fernwood House in Bethesda of pneumonia and complications from a stroke.

Capt. Zabilsky, who lived in Annapolis, was born in Missoula, Mont. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1928, where he was a pitcher on the baseball team. He received a master's degree in marine engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

His pre-World War II duties included service aboard the battleship Florida and as an engineering officer at Navy yards in Philadelphia and Charleston, S.C.

During the war, Capt. Zabilsky did submarine repair work in the Southwest Pacific, then was head of the engineering and repair department at the submarine base at New London, Conn. He was supervisor of salvage at the Bureau of Ships in Washington from 1946 to 1950.

He was production officer at the ship repair facility at Yokosuka, Japan, during the Korean War and received a Bronze Star for his work in coordinating the conversion of various naval vessels into craft for amphibious operations at Inchon, South Korea.

Capt. Zabilsky retired from the Navy in 1958 after having served four years in Camden, N.J., as supervisor of shipbuilding and naval inspector of ordnance at the New York Shipbuilding Corp. In retirement, he worked for New York Shipbuilding.

He moved to Annapolis in 1970.

His wife of 50 years, the former Lucretia Bitler, died in 1981. Survivors include two daughters, Mae Scanlan of Washington and Frances Ogg of Potomac; a sister, Jennie McLoughlin of Providence, R.I.; four brothers, Frank Zabilski of Vista, Calif., Joseph Zabilski of Westwood, Mass., Edward Zabilski of Johnston, R.I., and Harold Zabilski of Woodland Hills, Calif.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Capitol Hill Aide

Gregory Freeman Stone, 41, a native of Alexandria and a former aide to Rep. Allard K. Lowenstein (D-N.Y.) on Capitol Hill and later in New York, died Jan. 29 in Fernwood Park in Los Angeles. A spokesman for the Los Angeles police said death was caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound and the death was a suicide.

Mr. Stone was a graduate of Alexandria's Hammond High School and a summa cum laude graduate of Oberlin College, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received a master's degree in political science from the University of Wisconsin.

He began working for Lowenstein in 1969 on Capitol Hill and continued working for him as an administrative assistant and researcher in New York after Lowenstein was defeated for reelection in 1970. He was director of research for Rep. Douglas Walgren (D-Pa.) in 1977 and 1978, then from 1978 to 1980 was chief researcher for the Vietnam Veterans of America organization.

For the last 10 years he had been based in Los Angeles, where he was investigating the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy for the Inquiry and Accountability Foundation of Los Angeles, of which he was a founding member and executive director.

He was author of a book, "Allard K. Lowenstein: Acts of Courage and Belief."

Survivors include his father, Oliver E. Stone of Sandy Spring, and a sister, Dr. Jennifer A. Stone of Starkville, Miss.


Animal Welfare Staffer

Vera Cunningham Flexenhar, 78, a former staff member of the Animal Welfare League facility at Shirlington, died Jan. 31 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. She had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

Mrs. Flexenhar, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Milwaukee. She studied in England as a young woman, and later served as a Red Cross staffer there during World War II. Later she served in an Army Special Services unit in Germany.

In 1950, she married William J. Flexenhar, an Army officer who retired as a lieutenant colonel. She accompanied him to posts in Austria, Japan, France, Germany, Hawaii and the continental United States. They had been permanent residents of the Washington area since 1969.

Mrs. Flexenhar had worked for the Shirlington Animal Welfare League from 1969 to 1978. She supervised receipt and adoption of animals.

In addition to her husband, of Fairfax, survivors include a son, William Edward Flexenhar of Falls Church, and a brother, Charles Pringle of Toronto.


Army Physical Therapist

Brunetta Kuehlthau Gillet, 87, a retired major in the Army Medical Corps who was a physical therapist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, died there of respiratory failure Jan. 26. She had lived in Washington for 46 years.

Maj. Gillet was a prisoner of the Japanese during World War II while serving with the medical corps in Manila. She had been posted there in 1940, and when war was declared in 1941 was interned along with other medical staff members at the Army hospital in Manila.

She remained on duty at the hospital throughout the war. She returned to Washington in 1945 to serve at Walter Reed and retired in 1958.

A native of West Bend, Wis., Maj. Gillet was a 1925 graduate of the University of Wisconsin. She trained as a physical therapist at Walter Reed.

As a member of the legislative committee of the American Physical Therapy Association, she helped draft the first law in the District regulating the practice of physical therapy.

Her husband, Norman Gillet, a retired colonel in the Army Corps of Engineers, died in 1985.

Survivors include a half-sister, Mary K. Rolfs of West Bend; and a half-brother, Paul S. Kuehlthau of St. Louis.


Federal Reserve Official

Mortimer Battey Daniels, 87, retired assistant director of bank operations at the Federal Reserve Board, died of pneumonia Jan. 17 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Daniels, who lived in Washington, was born in Denver. He graduated from the University of Colorado and received a doctorate in accounting from the University of Michigan. He taught accounting at Michigan for two years before moving to Washington and joining the Federal Reserve Board in 1934. He retired in 1968.

His wife, Jane Meyer Daniels, died in 1980, and their daughter, Anne Blanchard Daniels, died in 1981.

Survivors include four grandchildren.



Hyman Solomon, 57, former Washington bureau chief of the Financial Post, died of cancer Jan. 29 at Ottawa Civic Hospital.

Mr. Solomon was born in Montreal and graduated from McGill University. He did postgraduate work at Indiana University.

He joined the staff of the Financial Post in 1965 and worked in Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver before opening the Washington bureau in 1972. He became Ottawa bureau chief in 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Starr Solomon, and two sons, Adam and Ben Solomon, all of Ottawa; and a brother, Edward Solomon of Menlo Park, Calif.



Jean Ramsay Chase, 97, a retired secretary, died Jan. 29 at Sleepy Hollow Nursing Home in Annandale. Her death was attributed to dementia.

Mrs. Chase was born in Washington and attended Sidwell Friends School. As a young woman, she had worked as a secretary for the State Department. During the 1950s, she worked as a secretary at Patuxent River Naval Air Station. She retired in 1959.

She was a Red Cross volunteer during World War II.

Her marriage to William W. Chase ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Jeanette C. Springer of Annandale; and four grandchildren.



Grace Elise Loving, 87, a retired secretary for H.L. Rust Co. realty, died of heart ailments Jan. 26 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Loving was a lifelong resident of Washington and a graduate of Central High School.

She worked at H.L. Rust from the 1930s to the 1960s.

She was a member of All Souls Episcopal Church in Washington.

Her marriage to James Sherman ended in divorce.

There are no immediate survivors.


Church Organist

Flora M. Weber, 95, the organist at Keller Memorial Lutheran Church in Northeast Washington, died of congestive heart failure Jan. 29 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Weber, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School.

She worked in the Army Department's military intelligence library from 1918 to 1926, and again from 1940 to the late 1940s. She was organist at Keller Memorial Lutheran Church for 34 years before the church closed in the 1970s.

She was a past president of the Excelsior Club, a member of the board of the National Lutheran Home and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Her marriage to Edward L. Weber ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Evelyn W. Thompson of Rockville and Marjorie W. Allwine of Silver Spring; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Marketing Firm President

Fiona I. Niedermair, 62, founder and president of the Acorn Group, a Silver Spring-based marketing company, died Jan. 18 of cancer at her home in Glenn Dale.

A native of Helensburgh, Scotland, and a graduate of the Royal Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow, Mrs. Niedermair moved to Washington from Scotland in 1954. She worked for two years as assistant to the vice president of George Washington University.

She lived in England from 1960 to 1978 before returning to this country. She founded the marketing company in 1984.

She belonged to the Churchill Club and Georgetown Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include her husband, Jack Niedermair of Glenn Dale; a daughter, Margaret Moodie of Bowie; two sons, John Niedermair of Silver Spring and Philip Niedermair of College Park, and three grandchildren.


Sales Representative

Richard C. Parkhurst, 61, retired vice president for sales at Baker-Webster Printing Co. in Washington, died Jan. 28 at his home in Colesville after a heart attack.

Mr. Parkhurst was born in Stratford-on-Avon, N.J. He served in the Navy from 1946 to 1950 as an oceanographer specializing in weather observation. He settled in the Washington area after his discharge and graduated from the University of Maryland in 1954.

He joined the sales staff of Baker-Webster after graduation and remained with the company until he retired in 1990.

Mr. Parkhurst built and drove hydroplane racing craft and had won several racing trophies.

He was a member of the American Legion and the National Rifle Association.

Survivors include his wife, Sharon J. Parkhurst of Colesville; three children, Jenifer Catherine Parkhurst and Dr. Mark Alan Parkhurst, both of Colesville, and Richard C. Parkhurst Jr. of Columbia; a sister, Lois Blosk of San Jose; and three grandchildren.


Labor Lawyer

Thomas X. Dunn, 79, a longtime Washington labor lawyer, died of cancer Jan. 30 while on vacation in Fort Myers, Fla. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Dunn, who retired in 1980 as senior partner of Sherman, Dunn, Cohen, Leifer & Yellig, was general counsel to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and the Building and Construction Trades Department of the AFL-CIO.

For 10 years after his retirement Mr. Dunn was a member of the U.S. Wage Appeals Board.

A native of Avoca, Pa., Mr. Dunn moved here in 1924. He attended Gonzaga College High School and the Washington College of Law, now part of American University.

He served as co-chairman of the committee on federal labor standards of the American Bar Association. He was a member of Argyle Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy B. Dunn of Silver Spring; two sons, John Dunn of Annapolis and Michael Dunn of Fort Worth, and six grandchildren.


Red Cross Volunteer

Veryl W. Ligon, 96, a Red Cross volunteer at Suburban Hospital for 23 years, died of a cerebral vascular thrombosis Jan. 29 at Fernwood House in Bethesda.

Mrs. Ligon, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Fredericksburg, Va. She came to the Washington area as a young woman.

Her husband, John F. Ligon, died in 1953. A son, George Ligon, died in 1954, and another son, John F. Ligon Jr., died in a World War II airplane accident in Florida in 1944 while serving in the Army Air Forces.

Survivors include three grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.


Garage Owner

Robert Henry Shoemaker, 72, the owner and operator of Shoemaker's Garage in Brentsville, Va., died of liver ailments Jan. 29 at Prince William Hospital.

Mr. Shoemaker was a lifelong resident of Prince William County. He opened his garage in Brentsville in 1941 and operated it until his death, with the exception of Army service in Europe during World War II.

From the late 1950s until 1978, he also worked as an equipment specialist at the government motor pool at Arlington Hall.

He was a charter member of the Lake Jackson Volunteer Fire Department and co-founder of Old Dominion Race Track. He served from 1957 to 1961 in the Virginia National Guard unit in Manassas.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Bessie Cordell Shoemaker of Brentsville; four children, James R. Shoemaker Jr. and Charles H. "Buzzy" Shoemaker, both of Brentsville, Linda Shoemaker Pyer of Vienna and Brenda Shoemaker Lynn of Manassas; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Pepco Equipment Operator

Harry Alvin Elliott Sr., 54, a heavy equipment operator at Potomac Electric Power Co., died of cancer Jan. 31 at his home in Bladensburg.

He had worked for Pepco for 15 years, starting as as crane operator. For the last 18 years, he also was the night manager of the Fairlanes Bowling Center at Prince George's Center. His previous employment here was as a Safeway store manager.

Mr. Elliott was born in Oswego, N.Y. He served in the Navy from 1953 to 1957 before moving to this area.

He belonged to the Moose lodge in College Park and was an officer in serveral bowling leagues.

His first marriage, to Dorothy Elliott, ended in divorce, as did his second marriage, to Deborah Elliott.

Survivors include his wife, Julie Elliott of Bladensburg; three children by his first marriage, Robin Elliott of Charlottesville, Harry Elliott Jr. of Dover Foxcroft, Maine, and Mary Cooke of Arlington; a son by his second marriage, Steven Elliott of Laurel; and four grandchildren.