Frank Anthony Rose, 70, a Washington consultant who had served as president of the University of Alabama from 1958 to 1969, died Feb. 1 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had pneumonia and cancer.

He was president of Alabama in 1963 at the tense moment when that university was racially integrated. As the nation watched, Alabama's governor, George C. Wallace, pledged that the university would never be integrated, and that he would stand in the doorway of the university if anyone tried to enroll blacks.

The federal government announced that the university would be integrated, even if federal troops had to be used to accomplish the task. Dr. Rose, a political opponent of Wallace's, announced that the law would be maintained, along with some semblance of dignity and civility. Southern-born and educated, the 6-foot-2-inch educator took on the unenviable task of middleman between federal authorities and Wallace.

Dr. Rose seemed careful not to take sides on racial issues, saying he was neither a segregationist nor an integrationist, but a realist. He devoted his attention to maintaining peace at the university.

Due in no small part to his tact and diplomatic skills, some observers said, integration took place amid relative calm. Although Wallace stood in his doorway and had his say, federal authorities enrolled black students and Dr. Rose was able to resume his usually quiet and effective work as a university president.

During his years at Alabama, the university's physical plant, faculty size and endowment all grew, and academic standards improved. However, some voiced opinions that Dr. Rose, who was more the dynamic administrator than professional scholar, devoted too much attention to sports.

He told critics that "character is not built by a losing team," and brought back the legendary Paul "Bear" Bryant as head football coach.

Dr. Rose left Alabama in 1969 to become president of General Computing Corp. in Washington. A short time later, he founded the nonprofit consulting firm, University Associates, whose clients included black colleges. At the time of his death, he was a senior consultant with the public affairs firm of Cassidy and Associates here. Cassidy had been affiliated with University Associates since 1984.

Over the years, he also had been active in the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, and had served on the executive committees of the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges and Reading Is Fundamental. He also had chaired the board of visitors of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and was on the board of the March of Dimes.

Dr. Rose, who had homes in Washington and Lexington, Ky., was a native of Meridian, Miss. He graduated from Transylvania University in Lexington in 1942, and received a bachelor's degree in divinity from Lexington Seminary in 1946. He held honorary doctorates from several schools.

Ordained by the Disciples of Christ, he was a pastor in Kentucky. He was on the staff at Transylvania as a philosophy professor before serving as that school's president from 1951 to 1958.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, the former Tommye Stewart of Lexington and Washington; four children, Susan Rose Dabney of Lexington, Frank Anthony Rose of Daphne, Ala., Julian Rose of Dallas and Elizabeth Rose of Milton, Fla.; and a brother, Ramon, of Dallas.


UDC Administrator

David J. Newton, 54, an administrator with the University of the District of Columbia since 1972, died Jan. 29 at Washington Hospital Center. He died of complications after surgery for diverticulitis.

He was an associate director of student recruitment and a program coordinator in the university's office of continuing education. He worked in community outreach programs, including setting up special libraries outside the university.

Mr. Newton, who lived in Oxon Hill, was a native of St. Louis. He was a graduate of Howard University and received a master's degree in international relations from American University. He was working toward a doctorate in that discipline at the time of his death.

From 1955 to 1959, he served in the Air Force. From 1969 to 1972, he worked for Youth Pride Inc., where he became deputy director of the trade and education department. Before that, he had been a mail handler.

Survivors include his wife, Blanche B. Newton, and a daughter, Edith Newton, both of Oxon Hill; his mother, Frances Jackson of Kansas City, Mo.; and two sisters, Edith Freeman of Grand View, Mo., and Gloria Logsdon of Schenectady, N.Y.



Alexandra Pearl Diaz, who was born in Washington on Nov. 18, 1990, died Feb. 1 of sudden infant death syndrome. She was stricken at her home in Oakton and pronounced dead at Fair Oaks Hospital.

Survivors include her parents, Steven A. and Stacey Diaz, and a brother, Adam, all of Oakton; and her grandparents, Phyllis Atterbury-Loyko, Lane Loyko, Sheldon Steckel and Judith Diaz, all of California.