Leonard Askin, 77, a private real estate investor and horse breeder who was a retired executive of The Washington Post, died Feb. 2 at Fernwood nursing home in Bethesda. He had cancer and kidney failure.

Mr. Askin, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Philadelphia and came here at an early age. He was a 1931 graduate of Central High School. He received an accounting degree from Benjamin Franklin University and was a graduate of what is now the Catholic University law school.

He began selling The Post as a youth, and he was an independent and street sales distributor of The Post from 1937 to 1956. He then became manager of newsstand and street sales in The Post's circulation department. After retiring from The Post in the early 1970s, he was a real estate investor and builder and bred and raised race horses.

He also had been athletic director and football coach at Devitt Prep School in Washington from 1942 to 1947. He was a member of Optimists International and a past president of the Northeast Optimist Club here.

His wife of 48 years, Hilda L. Askin, died in December. His survivors include a son, A. Bradley Askin of Bethesda; two sisters, Florence Rogers of Pikesville, Md., and Ruth Lombard of Rockville; and a brother, Bernard M., of Charles Town, W.Va.


Mechanical Engineer

George W. Runkle Jr., 70, a retired mechanical engineer, died Jan. 25 at a hospital in Port Charlotte, Fla. He died of complications after surgery for a brain tumor.

He had lived in Port Charlotte and Monrovia, Md., since 1986, and previously was a resident of Germantown. Mr. Runkle, a Washington native and graduate of Central High School, attended the University of Maryland. He served in the Army in Italy and North Africa during World War II.

He was a partner in the Washington mechanical engineering consulting firm H. Walton Redmile Co. until he retired to Florida.

Mr. Runkle was a past president of the American Society of Plumbing Engineers and a member of its board of directors. He was instrumental in founding the society's research foundation and served as its president.

He belonged to the 449th Bomb Group of the 15th Air Force, the Elks Club of Port Charlotte and the Knights of Columbus.

His marriage to Mary Durden Runkle ended in divorce. His second wife, Frances Benz Runkle, died in 1981.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Kresslein Runkle of Port Charlotte and Monrovia; two children by his first marriage, Mary R. Fortuna and George W. Runkle III, both of Rockville; two stepchildren, Barbara Kresslein and Joseph R. Kresslein III, both of Baltimore; and seven grandchildren.



Velda La Verne Pendleton, 72, a former Washington secretary who was a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars auxiliary, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 1 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Springfield.

She was a secretary with the Washington offices of the National Association of Independent Automobile Dealers from about 1957 to 1960.

Mrs. Pendleton, who came here in 1956, was a native of Missouri. She attended Kansas City College and worked as a secretary in Kansas City, Mo., before coming here.

Survivors include her husband, retired Army Reserve Col. Roger L. Pendleton of Springfield; a daughter, Patricia Lee Pendleton Rusho of Denver; and two grandchildren.


Area Resident Since 1955

Margaret Reese Mandel, 89, a retired social worker who had lived in the Washington area since 1955, died of a heart ailment Jan. 30 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Mandel was a native of Akron, Ohio. She graduated from Oberlin College in 1924 with a degree in economics and from New York University's school of education in 1950 with a master's degree in human relations. She had done social work in Cleveland, New Haven, Conn., and New York City.

Her husband of 21 years, Benjamin Mandel, died in 1973. She leaves no immediate survivors.


State Department Analyst

Finis Herbert Capps, 70, who worked for the State Department for 37 years before retiring in June 1990 as foreign policy analyst of Western Europe, died Feb. 2 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a heart attack.

Dr. Capps, an area resident since 1953 who lived in Bethesda, was a native of Missouri. He was a graduate of Central Methodist College in Missouri, did graduate work in Stockholm and Paris and received a doctorate in history from the University of Chicago. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II.

He was the author of "From Isolationism to Involvement: The Swedish Immigrant Press in America, 1914 to 1945," which was published by the Swedish Pioneer Historical Society of Chicago in 1966.

Survivors include his wife, Carol, of Bethesda; a son, Randy, of Austin, Tex.; and a daughter, Elizabeth Capps of Los Angeles.


Tennis Instructor

Leonard J. Giuffreda, 69, a tennis instructor and retired government employee, died Feb. 1 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Bethesda.

He worked for what is now the Naval Ship Research and Development Center from 1947 until retiring in 1976 as a test mechanic foreman. Since 1976, he had been a private tennis instructor. He also had been a trainer at Washington Star tennis tournaments here.

Mr. Giuffreda was a native of Washington and a Marine Corps veteran of World War II.

He had attended St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Vivian R., of Bethesda; two sons, Kevin, of Silver Spring, and Tony, of Kensington; a brother, Albert, of Edgewater, Md.; a sister, Matilda Boccabella of Bethesda; and three grandchildren.



Eileen K. Gililland, 70, a former nurse and church volunteer who had lived here since 1945, died Feb. 1 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Gililland was a native of Pennsylvania and studied nursing at a hospital in Atlantic City, N.J. During World War II, she was an Army nurse in Atlantic City and attained the rank of lieutenant.

During the 1960s, she was a volunteer nurse at the school at St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria. She also was a member of the church and was active in volunteer work there.

Her husband, Dr. Norman A. Gililland, died in 1975. Survivors include three sons, Joseph, of Alexandria, Robert, of Fairfax, and Thomas, of Tokyo; two daughters, Ann Gililland and Margaret Mahan, both of Alexandria; a brother; five sisters; and 10 grandchildren.


Labor Department Editor

Dorothy Virginia Rock, 82, who worked for the Labor Department for 39 years before retiring in 1967 as an editor of its Monthly Labor Review, died Feb. 2 at a nursing home in Kilmarnock, Va. She had Parkinson's disease.

Miss Rock, a native of Washington, lived in Leisure World in Silver Spring from 1966 until moving to the nursing home about three years ago. She was a graduate of George Washington University.

She was a charter member of Brooke Manor Country Club. Her hobbies included golf.

Survivors include two sisters, Audrey Rice of Heathsville, Va., and Edith Ianniello of Margate, Fla.