Colin Franklin Shaw Jr., 48, the pilot of the USAir Boeing 737 who was among the 33 people killed when his plane collided Friday night with a commuter plane at Los Angeles International Airport, had been a commercial pilot since 1968. He lived in Huntingtown, Md.

Authorities investigating the crash are examining radar equipment at the airport and the actions of air traffic controllers who cleared the two planes for the same runway.

Mr. Shaw was a native of Salem, Mass., and attended Miami-Dade Community College in Florida. His service with the Air Force in the early 1960s included a tour in England as an air traffic controller.

He joined Mohawk Airlines in 1968. Mohawk later merged with what became USAir. He transferred to the Washington area in 1971. He had been a USAir captain since 1984 and had logged about 30,000 flight hours.

For about the past 10 years, he owned and operated Shaw's Aerial Photo.

He was active in the Civil Air Patrol.

Survivors include his wife, the former Susan Ellsworth, whom he married in 1977, and a son, Devin Franklin Shaw, both of Huntingtown; his mother and stepfather, Merle Shaw Parker and Rudy Parker, and a brother, Jonathan, all of Hollywood, Fla.; a sister, Deborah Luciani of New Haven, Conn.; and a grandmother, Gladys Conroy of Marblehead, Mass.



Matthew Gerard Allen, 27, a certified public accountant, died of cancer Jan. 30 at his home in Germantown.

A native of Washington, he grew up in Camp Springs and attended McNamara High School in Suitland. He was a 1985 graduate of Frostburg State University.

Mr. Allen worked as an accountant at World Access Inc. in Washington and as a CPA for Rockville Crushed Stone Inc.

He belonged to Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

Survivors include his wife of two years, Tracy Archibald Allen of Germantown; his parents, Bernard and Ann Allen of Waldorf; a brother, Michael Allen of Los Angeles; and a sister, Teresa Nichols of Faifax.


Alexandria Fire Captain

Warren A. Lawrence, 80, a retired captain in the Alexandria fire department, died of cancer Feb. 3 at Woodbine Nursing Home in Alexandria.

He was a fire department captain in Alexandria from 1944 until his retirement in 1970.

Mr. Lawrence was a native of Worcester, Mass., and moved to Alexandria in 1936. After working as a mechanic and bakery driver, he joined the Fort Belvoir fire station in 1941 as acting assistant chief, a position he held until 1943. He was assistant chief of the Fort Knox, Ky., fire department until 1944, when he returned to Alexandria as a captain.

He was a member of the Alexandria Retired Police and Firemen's Association.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia M. Lawrence of Alexandria; three sons, Warren E. Lawrence of Falmouth, Va., Robert L. Lawrence of Manassas and James H. Lawrence of Sunrise, Fla.; a sister, Elizabeth M. Greenleaf of Worcester; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


VA Program Analyst

Jack Barry Bresler, 67, a biologist and retired senior program analyst at the Veterans Administration, died Feb. 3 at Brooke Grove Nursing Home in Olney after a stroke. He died of pneumonia.

Dr. Bresler worked at the VA from 1980 until he retired in 1986. Among his projects was a report on the nursing home needs of veterans. A resident of the Washington area since 1976, he worked as a consultant, as director of sponsored research at George Washington University and as a specialist in life sciences at the Congressional Research Service.

Dr. Bresler, who lived in Rockville, was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. He served in the Army Air Forces in Alaska during World War II, where he was a correspondent for the Army's Yank magazine.

After the war, he received a bachelor's degree in liberal arts from the University of Denver, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received a master's degree in American civilization from the University of Minnesota and a doctorate in biology from the University of Illinois.

Dr. Bresler taught biology at Brown University and Boston University, where he also was director of research. He was assistant provost and associate professor of biology at Tufts University from 1966 to 1976.

He edited three textbooks, "Human Ecology," published in 1966; "Environment of Man," published in 1968; and "Genetics and Society," published in 1973. His research papers have appeared in "Human Biology," "Science and Social Biology" and other journals.

Dr. Bresler also was a painter whose works were displayed at exhibitions sponsored by the school of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, Contemporary New England Artists and the Library of Congress.

Survivors include his wife, Beulah Bresler of Rockville; three sons, Mark Bresler of Oklahoma City and Joel Bresler and Kenneth Bresler, both of Boston; and a daughter, Faye Bresler of Ann Arbor, Mich.


Treasury Economist

Victor A. Mack, 69, a retired senior economic adviser for international trade at the Treasury Department, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 1 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Mack, who retired in 1973, began his federal career in 1941 at the War Production Board. He served in the Army from 1945 to 1947, then joined the Treasury Department as an economist.

As a Treasury economist, Mr. Mack represented the United States at international economic conferences on foreign trade and monetary matters. From 1966 to 1968, he was financial attache at the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.

For a year after his retirement he was a consultant to the National Association of Manufacturers.

Mr. Mack was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. He graduated from Brooklyn College and received a master's degree in economics from George Washington University.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Joyce Wilkerson Mack of Silver Spring; three daughters, Valerie Johns-Crane of Los Angeles, Victoria Nasir of Takoma Park and Carolyn Mack of Wilmington, Del.; a sister, Sylvia Beecher of Delray Beach, Fla.; and a granddaughter.


Army Support Volunteer

Alice H. Cleland, 90, former national president of the Daughters of the U.S. Army and the Army Relief Society, died of a heart attack Feb. 2 at her home in Washington.

A native of Cincinnati, Mrs. Cleland moved to Washington in 1924 when her father, Gen. John L. Hines, was appointed Army chief of staff. Mrs. Cleland later accompanied her husband, Army Maj. John R.D. Cleland Sr., to assignments in California, the Philippines and Nebraska before settling permanently in 1938.

During the 1940s, she was manager of Brentanos Book Store in Chevy Chase.

In addition to her national leadership posts, Mrs. Cleland served as a Red Cross volunteer for more than 50 years.

Her marriage ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, John R.D. Cleland Jr. of Satellite Beach, Fla.; two daughters, Rita Stephens of Irvington, Va., and Ali Clagett of Fairfax; nine grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.