William Stanley Rice Jr., 72, a retired assistant superintendent of the D.C. public schools who was in charge of schools in the Anacostia section of the city from the late 1960s until he retired in 1977, died of complications from diabetes and kidney failure Feb. 2 at Providence Hospital.

Mr. Rice began his career in the D.C. schools as a printing teacher at Shaw Junior High in 1947. He later became a printing teacher at Cardozo High School, an assistant principal at Langley Junior High School and then principal at Langley.

His years as regional superintendent for Anacostia covered an experimental period of community control of schools, in which local school boards were chosen for various schools. Mr. Rice also supervised construction of seven new schools for about 7,500 students while serving as regional superintendent.

A resident of Washington, he was born in Birmingham. He graduated from Howard University, from which he also received a master's degree in history. He received a doctorate in education from the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.

During World War II, he served in the Army as a training officer for preflight cadets at Tuskegee Air Field in Alabama. He settled in Washington after the war.

Mr. Rice was a former chairman of the administrative council at Simpson-Hamline United Methodist Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Ella Johnson Rice, and a son, William Rice III, both of Washington; and three grandchildren.


Robinson Terminal Employee

Richard Lewis Cheeseman Jr., 44, a former shipping agent with the Robinson Terminal Warehouse Corp. in Alexandria, died of pancreatitis Feb. 4 at Alexandria Hospital. He had myotonic muscular dystrophy.

Mr. Cheeseman was a native of Alexandria and a graduate of Fort Hunt High School. He served in the Army from 1969 to 1972. He worked for the Robinson Terminal Warehouse from 1972 until retiring for health reasons in 1984.

His marriage to Barbara Cheeseman ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Shawn R. and Victoria J., both of Woodbridge; his parents, Jeane D. and Richard L. Cheeseman Sr. of Alexandria; three brothers, Andrew McP., of Kansas City, Mo., and David F. and John D., both of Alexandria; and two sisters, Margaret Owen of San Diego and Jane C. Picot of South Miami, Fla.



C. Terrence Chastek, 42, a psychiatrist who specialized in the treatment of adolescents, died Feb. 4 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

He was vice president of the medical staff at the Psychiatric Institute of Washington, where he had worked for 15 years. He was frequently interviewed by television and newspaper reporters, particularly about problems of youth and the effects of stress and phobias.

Dr. Chastek was a native of Warsaw, N.Y. He received his bachelor's degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his medical degree from the Upstate Medical Center of the State University of New York, and completed his post-doctoral residency at the University of North Carolina. He moved to Washington in 1976.

He was a member of the American Academy of Psychiatry and Law, the American Psychiatric Association and the American Medical Association.

Survivors include his companion, Jon Schwenzer of Washington; his mother, Dorothy Chastek of Silver Springs, N.Y.; and two brothers, Daniel Chastek of Perry, N.Y., and Joel Chastek of Leroy, N.Y.


Association President

Carl Joseph Carlson, 78, retired president of the Cigar Association of America, died Feb. 2 at his home in Plainfield, N.J., after a stroke.

Mr. Carlson was born in Washington. He graduated from Central High School and attended George Washington University. He worked at the Labor Department before World War II, then served in the Army during the war.

After the war he moved to Plainfield and began working in the cigar industry. He was president of Garcia y Vega Inc., then vice president of Consolidated Cigar Corp. He returned to Washington in 1976 as president of the Cigar Association of America, then returned to Plainfield upon his retirement in 1980.

Survivors include his wife, Emilia Garcia Carlson of Plainfield; four children, Dagmar Carlson Ferris of Granville, Ohio, Linda Carlson of Takoma Park, Christie Carlson of Boston and Carl Jr., of West Milford, N.J.; a sister, Ruth Carlson of Norman, Okla.; and four grandchildren.


Engineering Draftsman-Designer

Ursula Sadlik, 53, an engineering draftsman-designer, died of cancer Feb. 5 at her home in McLean.

From 1980 to 1990, Mrs. Sadlik worked at several local engineering firms, drafting plans for buildings and equipment. Her last job was with Girard Engineering in McLean.

A native of Frankfurt, Germany, Mrs. Sadlik came to the United States in 1958 and settled in this area. After her marriage in 1963 to Joseph Sadlik, a Foreign Service officer, she accompanied him to posts in Munich; New Dehli; Vientiane, Laos; Bonn and Bamako, Mali. In Bonn, she edited a monthly paper for the American community called the Bonn Journal.

In addition to her husband, of McLean, survivors include three children, Paul Jan Sadlik, Christina Marie Sadlik and Barbara Anne Sadlik, all of McLean; and two sisters, Brigitte Zinkhan of Frankfurt and Marianne Morgan of Conemaugh, Pa.