Baltimore Judge

Joseph L. Carter, 86, a retired Baltimore judge who was chairman of Maryland's Republican State Central Committee in the early 1950s and was a past president of the University of Maryland Alumni Association, died of cancer Feb. 7 at a hospital in Baltimore.

He sat on the old Supreme Bench of Baltimore City for 22 years before retiring in 1974. Over the years, he became known for the stiff sentences he handed down in criminal cases for violent crimes. Before going on the bench, he had practiced law in Baltimore.

Judge Carter, a native of Allegany County, Md., was a 1925 graduate of the University of Maryland's law school. In 1950, he managed the successful gubernatorial campaign of his law school roommate and fellow Republican, Theodore R. McKeldin.


Bridge Champion

Jim Jacoby, 58, a World Bridge Federation grandmaster who wrote the syndicated Jacoby on Bridge newspaper column and who, with his father, developed the Jacoby Transfer Bid and the Jacoby Two No-Trump Convention, died of cancer Feb. 8 at a hospital in Dallas.

He won the first of 16 national titles in 1955. He belonged to the Dallas Aces from 1968 to 1973. In 1970, the team won the world championship Bermuda Bowl, the first U.S. victory since 1959. The Aces won again in 1971. The team broke up two years later.

Last year, Mr. Jacoby surpassed 25,000 master points, fifth best among active U.S. players and ninth best in the world. In 1988, he teamed with former Aces partners to win the World Men's Team Olympiad, the only championship a U.S. team had previously failed to capture. The same year, he won more master points than any other player in the world.


Dartmouth President

John Sloan Dickey, 83, a former president of Dartmouth College in Hanover, N.H., died of unreported causes Feb. 9 at a campus medical facility. He had lived on campus since a 1982 stroke.

He served as president for 25 years before retiring in 1970. During those years, he expanded Dartmouth's medical school and started Dartmouth's Equal Opportunity Program, which in a short time more than doubled the school's black enrollment.

Mr. Dickey, who was a 1929 Dartmouth graduate, received a degree from Harvard University law school in 1932. During World War II, he served as chief of the State Department's world trade intelligence division. He was a public liaison officer for the U.S. delegation to the 1945 San Francisco conference that established the United Nations. He later served on President Truman's Committee on Civil Rights.


New Jersey Congressman

Harry L. Towe, 92, a Republican who represented New Jersey's 9th District in the House of Representatives from 1943 to 1951, died Feb. 8 at his home in Lakewood, N.J. The cause of death was not reported.

He served on the Armed Services Committee before resigning from the House to become a deputy attorney general of New Jersey.

Mr. Towe, who was a native of Jersey City, attended the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and graduated from the New Jersey Law School in 1925. He was assistant prosecutor of Bergen County, N.J., in 1931. He had a private law practice in Rutherford, N.J., until his retirement several years ago.



John Steinbeck IV, 44, a writer and son of the Nobel-winning author of "The Grapes of Wrath," died Feb. 7 at a hospital near Los Angeles after surgery for a back ailment.

He had been working on his autobiography, "Legacy," in which he intended to examine the genetics of chemical addiction and trace what he believed to be his father's alcoholism to his own. The younger Steinbeck had been a recovering alcoholic for three years.

As a freelance writer, he was published in many magazines, including the New Yorker. He wrote a nonfiction book, "In Touch," about his experiences in Vietnam, where he embraced the Buddhist philosophy. He was an Army veteran of the Vietnam War and later returned there to work as a freelance journalist, primarily for CBS.


N.H. Democrat

William L. "Bud" Dunfey, 65, a member of an international hotel family who had worked tirelessly since the early 1950s to build up the Democratic Party in a state long dominated by Republicans, died of cancer Feb. 9 at a hospital in Hanover, N.H.

He helped launch the careers of former New Hampshire governors John W. King and Hugh Gallen, former U.S. senators Thomas McIntyre and John Durkin, U.S. Rep. J. Oliva Huot and scores of state legislators. In 1960, he helped engineer the New Hampshire primary victory of Sen. John F. Kennedy (D-Mass.).

The Dunfeys operated the Statler Hotel and the restored Berkshire Place in New York, as well as the Ambassador East in Chicago, the Shoreham in Washington and the Marquette Inn in Minneapolis. The Parker House in Boston was renovated and restored to profitability by the Dunfeys in the 1970s. The company, now known as the Omni Hotels, was sold by the family in the 1980s.