School Principal

Nell Fremont Hiscox, 88, retired principal of Janney Elementary School in Washington, died Feb. 12 at Washington Adventist Hospital after a heart attack.

Miss Hiscox, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Atlanta and moved to the Washington area as an adolescent. She attended Central High School and Wilson Normal School and graduated from George Washington University, where she also received a master's degree in education.

She worked 45 years in the D.C. school system, and was a teacher at Brightwood and Taylor schools and principal at Blake and Truesdell schools before her appointment as principal at Janney in 1942. She helped develop special education programs for emotionally disturbed children. She retired in 1970.

Miss Hiscox was an honorary life member of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers.

She was a vestrywoman at the Episcopal Church of Our Savior in Silver Spring, a member of the board of directors of the Episcopal Center for Children in Washington, a past matron of the Brookland chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

There are no immediate survivors.


Army Officer and Maryland Official

James F. Parkins, 69, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who was Wheaton office manager of the Maryland Department of Economic and Employment Development, died of an aneurysm Feb. 9 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Wheaton.

Col. Parkins began his Army career in 1941. He served in Europe and the Pacific during World War II and in Korea during the war there. He retired from active duty as registrar of the Army Command and Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in 1957. Later that year, he joined Maryland's Employment Security Administration.

He was a 1990 recipient of a Maryland Governor's Service Award. His military decorations included the Bronze Star.

Col. Parkins was a native of Poolesville, and served in the Maryland National Guard before World War II. He was a graduate of Washington College in Chestertown, Md., and the Army Command and Staff College.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Victoria, of Wheaton; a daughter, Julie Parkins Seibert of Wheaton; and two brothers, John A., of Newark, Del., and William S. Jr., of San Antonio.



Mary Florence Drechsler, 85, a retired teacher in the Prince George's County public schools who was active in church groups, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 9 at a nursing home in San Mateo, Calif.

Mrs. Drechsler, a San Mateo resident, lived in the Washington area for 61 years before moving to California in 1986. She lived in Arlington from 1925 to 1949, then in University Park until 1986.

She joined Prince George's schools in 1952. She taught at Hollywood and Berwyn elementary schools before retiring in 1972.

Mrs. Drechsler was a native of Lawrence, Kan., and a 1927 graduate of the College of William and Mary.

She was a founding member of Arlington Methodist Church and University United Methodist Church in College Park.

Her husband, Charles Drechsler, died in 1986. Survivors include two sons, Charles, of Burlingame, Calif., and Robert, of Beltsville; a daughter, Kathryn Finnegan of Flemington, N.J.; a brother, Lawrence Morscher of University Park; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Republican Worker

Roberta Hope Propst, 66, a former aide at the National Federation of Republican Women and volunteer in the correspondence office of the White House, died of cancer Feb. 10 at Georgetown University Hospital.

She moved to Washington from Orange Park, Fla., in 1981, and worked at the federation for about four years.

Mrs. Propst also operated the Propst Bed and Breakfast in her home on Capitol Hill.

She was a native of Fort Collins, Colo., and a graduate of Colorado State University. She was active in the Colorado State Society.

Survivors include her husband, Howard Benson Propst of Washington; three daughters, Rebecah Lee Diebel of Denver, Roberta Lorre McKeone of North Platte, Neb., and Heather Phyllis Ross of Quantico; a brother, Rowley Lascelles of San Luis Obispo, Calif.; and four grandchildren.


Marine General

John S. Oldfield, 77, a retired brigadier general in the Marine Corps and veteran of two wars who became executive secretary of the Construction Contractors Council, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 12 at Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Gen. Oldfield, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Oklahoma City. He graduated from the University of Oklahoma. He was commissioned in the Marine Corps in 1935, and he became an artillery officer.

During World War II, he served aboard the cruiser Quincy in the Atlantic. His next duty was as an instructor at the Quantico Marine Base. He later served with the Fifth Marine Division in the invasion of Iwo Jima, during which he was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry, and in the occupation of Japan.

Gen. Oldfield also served in the Korean War. He had duty at various posts in this country, including Washington. He was a graduate of the National War College, and he was assigned to the Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff when he retired in 1959.

A resident of Alexandria since 1951, Gen. Oldfield went to work for the Construction Contractors Council, which represents the industry in negotiating contracts with construction unions, in the mid-1960s. He retired about 1978.

He was a member of the Army-Navy Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret J. Oldfield, whom he married in 1939, of Alexandria; a daughter, Devereux Audilet of Potomac; two sons, John S. Oldfield Jr. of Oklahoma City and Baird D. Oldfield of Charleston, S.C.; two brothers, Edward D. Oldfield of Oklahoma City and W. Baird Oldfield of Burbank, Okla.; a sister, Beth Peter, also of Oklahoma City; and seven grandchildren.


Mortgage Banker

Thomas David Farrell, 53, a founder and executive vice president of Concord Mortgage Co. in Bethesda, died of complications from liver cancer Feb. 10 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Severna Park.

Mr. Farrell and a partner founded Concord in 1976. Mr. Farrell also established two other mortgage companies. They were Mercantile Mortgage Corp., a subsidiary of Mercantile Bank in Baltimore, where he worked from 1972 to 1974, and Arlington Mortgage Corp. of First Virginia Bank, where he worked from 1974 to 1976.

A native of Norwalk, Conn., Mr. Farrell was an appraiser for the Hartford office of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development from 1962 to 1969. He moved to Severna Park in 1969, when he was named chief appraiser and director of operations for HUD's Baltimore office. He held that job until 1972.

Mr. Farrell belonged to the Society of Real Estate Appraisers, the Mortgage Bankers Association, Annapolis Yacht Club and St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Severna Park.

He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Mary Patterson Farrell of Severna Park; five daughters, Marie Taber, Linda Bryant, Lisa Farrell, Carolyn Farrell and Susan Farrell, all of Severna Park; a son, T. David Farrell of Columbia; two sisters, Betty Ann Wynn of Trumbull, Conn., and Rosemary Lane of Norwalk; and a grandson.


Finance Company Official

David A. Penney, 80, a retired vice chairman of the American Finance Co. and a past president of the American Association of Retired Persons Chapter No. 1278 in Dorchester County, Md., died of pneumonia Feb. 8 at Milford (Del.) Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Penney, who lived in Felton, Del., was born in Washington. He graduated from the old Central High School here and the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania.

He began his career with American Finance in 1938 as an office manager. He rose to be president of the company, and he was vice chairman when he retired in 1975. The company has since been taken over by Security Pacific Financial Services Inc.

Mr. Penney lived in Potomac until moving to Felton in 1979. He was a Mason and a member of Beckwith United Methodist Church in Cambridge, Md.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Margarett T. Penney of Felton; three childen, George A. Penney of Roanoke, David J. Penney of Milford and Sharon P. Thomas of Cheverly; a brother, O. Eugene Penney of Taneytown, Md.; and nine grandchildren.



Frank Clyde "Wilkie" Wilkinson, 84, a news and Capitol Hill photographer here for more than 40 years, died of pneumonia Feb. 7 at Arlington Hospital, where he was being treated for a blood infection. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Wilkinson retired in 1976 after 20 years on Capitol Hill as a staff photographer with the Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee and the Senate Republican Policy Committee.

A native of Richmond, he began his career here in 1935 with the Evening Star newspaper. He later worked for the Chicago Sun and the Washington Times Herald. He was a freelance photographer from 1944 to 1955. Over the years his assignments included the White House, Congress, political conventions and news features.

Mr. Wilkinson was a deacon at Calvary Baptist Church in Washington and a member of the White House Photographers Association.

Survivors include his wife, Ruby Wilkinson of Arlington; a stepson, Raymond Kile of Leesburg; and a sister, Alliene Burke of Glen Burnie.


Deli Supervisor

Henry Horn Jr., 68, a retired deli supervisor for Giant Food, died Feb. 9 at Henrico Doctors Hospital in Richmond after a heart attack.

Mr. Horn was born in Cumberland, Md. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and was awarded a Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. He moved to the Washington area in 1949, worked 10 years as a warehouse supervisor for Kraft Foods, then joined the staff at Giant Food. He retired on disability in 1981.

A former resident of Brookville, Md., he moved to Chester, Va., in 1987.

Survivors include his wife, Vivian Lee Prince Horn of Chester; four daughters, Sharon Lee Lerch and Theresa Lynn Horn, both of Bethesda, Celeste Ann Deverick of Colonial Heights, Va., and Kimberly Ann Horn of Germantown; two brothers, Robert Lee Horn of LaVale, Md., and James Elwood Horn of Ridgely, W.Va.; and eight grandchildren.


Aeronautical Engineer

Bertrand Harold Stephenson, 64, a retired Goddard Space Flight Center aeronautical engineer, died of heart and lung ailments Feb. 7 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Stephenson was born in Richmond. He served in the Navy from 1944 to 1946, then graduated from the University of Virginia. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1950s.

He retired from the Goddard Space Flight Center in 1987 after working there for 20 years. Earlier, he had worked for the Department of the Navy and Fairchild Hiller.

Mr. Stephenson was a member of the Montgomery Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, a trustee of the Wheaton American Legion and an amateur photographer.

Survivors include his wife, Susan Fox Stephenson of Silver Spring; three children, Jan Stephenson of Silver Spring, Amelia Stephenson of Arlington and Chris Stephenson of Damascus; his mother, Elizabeth Stephenson of Richmond; a brother, Robert Tapscott of Yorktown, Va.; and three grandchildren.


Cosmos Club Employee

Lawrence Francis "Mike" Culligan, 84, retired assistant manager of the Cosmos Club, died of a respiratory ailment Jan. 20 at Southern Maryland Hospital. He lived in Camp Springs.

Mr. Culligan worked at the Cosmos Club for 25 years before retiring in 1971.

He was a native of Ithaca, N.Y., and attended St. Francis DeSales College. He served with the Army in the Pacific during World War II.

Mr. Culligan belonged to the Disabled American Veterans, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was treasurer for eight years of the Camp Springs Elks Lodge.

Survivors include his wife, Edith Marian Culligan of Camp Springs; two daughters, Jean Nugent of Tucson; and Joyce Rey of Port Charlotte, Fla.; a son, James Culligan of Browns Mills, N.J.; a sister, Dorothy Seaburg of Port Charlotte; 18 grandchildren; and 26 great-grandchildren.


Church Secretary

Sarah Johnson Compton, 66, whose remains were found Jan. 25 in Madison County, Va., was a former resident of Arlington and Falls Church and a secretary at Arlington's Cherrydale Baptist Church for about 10 years before retiring in 1982.

An apparent homicide victim, Mrs. Compton disappeared July 5 after last having been seen at the Food Lion grocery store in Culpeper, Va. She died of a blow to the head, officials said. Her remains were identified Feb. 2.

The case is under investigation, and law enforcement officials said Mrs. Compton's death may be related to the killing of two other women in the area.

A native of Vanesville, Ohio, Mrs. Compton moved to the Washington area shortly after World War II. She had lived in Reva, Va., since 1982.

Survivors include her husband, Robert Compton of Reva; two sons; and four grandchildren.