Douglas R. Smith, 75, the honorary chairman of Crestar Bank and a past president, chief executive officer and chairman of the old National Savings & Trust Co., died of respiratory arrest Feb. 15 at George Washington University Hospital.

He had been hospitalized since suffering a fall two weeks ago at his home in Warrenton, Va.

Mr. Smith began his banking career in 1931 as a 15-year-old runner at National Savings & Trust. He rose through the ranks and was elected president in 1960, chairman in 1966 and chief executive officer in 1976. He retired as chairman in 1980 and was named honorary chairman. When he became president, the bank had deposits of less than $87 million. When he retired, deposits were more than $395 million.

The bank became NS&T Bank in 1981, and it was purchased by United Virginia Bank in 1985. The name was changed to Crestar Bank in 1987.

In an interview with The Washington Post in 1978, Mr. Smith said he believed that "it's a banker's duty to serve his community and make himself available to businesspeople." Referring to the fact that his desk was in the lobby of the bank rather than in a private office, he said it was hard for his secretary to tell a customer or a bank employee that the chairman was "tied up."

Mr. Smith, a past president of the D.C. Bankers Association, was a member of the American Bankers Association and the Washington Board of Trade. He was a past chairman of the Wolf Trap Foundation and a trustee of George Washington University and Blue Cross, Blue Shield.

He was born in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He moved to Alexandria as a boy and graduated from Alexandria High School. He also graduated from Southeastern University. During World War II, he served in Army Signal Corps in Okinawa, Japan and Korea.

Mr. Smith was a director of Acacia Mutual Life Insurance Co., District Title Insurance Co. and Home Casualty and Surety Co., and he was a trustee of Conrail.

Service organizations in which he was active included the American Association of the United Nations, the American Cancer Society, the Boys Club of Washington, Children's Hospital, the Episcopal Home for Children, the Federal City Council, the Interracial Council for Business Opportunity, the Kiwanis Club of Washington, Mount Vernon College, the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America, the Florence Crittenton Home, the National Jewish Hospital in Denver, the Salvation Army, the Travellers Aid Society, the Washington Cathedral Development Committee and the Washington Heart Association.

For his contributions to the Boy Scouts, Mr. Smith received the Silver Beaver, the highest award in scouting.

Mr. Smith was a member of the Alfalfa Club, the Chevy Chase Club, the Metropolitan Club, the 1925 F Street Club, the University Club and the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick.

His wife, Rice Barrett Smith, died in 1981.

Survivors include three daughters, Anne Camden Cassidy of Los Angeles, Rice Barrett Flanders of Orange, Mass., and Elizabeth S. Bullard of Warrenton; a brother, Waller Smith of Alexandria; and six grandchildren.


Teacher and Psychologist

Retta Walsmith Dillon, 83, a retired teacher in the D.C. public school system who became a clinical psychologist at the D.C. Receiving Home for Children, a facility for runaway children, died of cancer Feb. 15 at Our Lady of Lourdes Memorial Hospital in Binghamton, N.Y.

Mrs. Dillon was born in Washington, and she lived in the city until moving to Binghamton a month ago. She graduated from George Washington University, where she also received master's and doctoral degrees in psychology.

She began practice teaching in the D.C. schools at the age of 16. She later was appointed a full-time teacher in the elementary grades. She retired in 1968, but a month later she went back to work for the city as a clinical psychologist at the Receiving Home for Children. She retired a second time in 1983.

In 1951 and 1952, she had a Fulbright Fellowship to Edinburgh, Scotland.

Her husband, James J. Dillon, died in 1944.

Survivors include two children, Martin C. Dillon of Friendsville, Pa., and R. Kathleen Dillon of Brooklyn, N.Y.; and three grandchildren.



Frances Crory O'Connell Stoddard, 76, a retired secretary at Catholic University who was active in church and service groups, died of a heart attack Feb. 16 at her home in Riverdale.

Mrs. Stoddard was born in White Plains, Mass. She grew up in Washington and graduated from Immaculate Conception Academy. She also graduated from Columbus University's school of accounting.

As a young woman, she worked for the Social Security Administration in Baltimore. From 1952 until she retired in 1975, she was a secretary at Catholic University.

Mrs. Stoddard was a volunteer at the Sacred Heart nursing home in Hyattsville and a member of the Seasoned Players, a senior citizens dance group that appears at the Publik Playhouse in Cheverly and the parish of St. Bernard's Catholic Church in Riverdale.

She also was treasurer of the Sodality at St. Bernard's and of Chapter No. 634 of the Polish Women's Alliance and Maryland Chapter No. 63 of TOPS (Take Off Pounds), a weight-loss group in Seabrook, Md.

Her first husband, Maurice Vincent O'Connell, died in 1963.

Survivors include her husband, William F. Stoddard of Riverdale; four children, the Rev. Maurice Vincent O'Connell Jr. of Riverdale, who is pastor of St. Bernard's, Marie Walburn, also of Riverdale, Margaret McLaughlin of Dunkirk, Md., and Maureen Thompson of Warner-Robbins, Ga.; two stepchildren, Dolores Boxwell of Riverdale and William F. Stoddard Jr. of Greenbelt; a sister, Eleanor McAleer of Wheaton; 19 grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.


Marine Colonel

Ralph M. Wismer, 80, a retired colonel in the Marine Corps who was a veteran of the Pacific campaigns of World War II and of the Korean War, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 16 at the Knollwood Manor nursing home in Millersville.

Col. Wismer, who lived in Severna Park, was born in Decatur, Ill., and he attended Millikin University there.

He enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1936. He was commissioned in the Marine Reserves in 1939 and called to active duty in 1940.

During World War II, he served with the First Marine Division in the Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester and Okinawa campaigns. He served in Tokyo at the end of the war.

During the Korean War, he was the signals officer of the First Marine Division.

Col. Wismer also served at various posts in the United States, and he was commander of the Marine security detachment at Fort George Meade, Md., when he retired in 1966. He had lived in the Washington area since 1964.

His military decorations included the Bronze Star and the Letter of Commendation.

After leaving the service, Col. Wismer worked on a government project in Annapolis for the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Survivors include his wife, Jean D. Wismer of Severna Park; two daughters, Linda Wells of Lanham and Patricia James of Oakland; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Dog Breeder

Helen C. Freedman, 69, a retired secretary with the Navy Oceanographic Office who raised Great Pyrenees dogs at her kennels in Camp Springs and later in Bluemont, Va., died Feb. 16 at the Vindabona nursing home in Braddock Heights, Md.

Mrs. Freedman, who lived in Bluemont until she went to the nursing home in 1989, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She moved to the Washington area in 1949, and in 1950 she worked for the Census Bureau. In 1951, she went to work for the Navy Oceanographic Office in Suitland, and she retired in 1968.

A former resident of Silver Hill, she lived in Camp Springs when she started the Renaissance Kennels in 1964. She continued them in Bluemont when she moved there in 1968.

Mrs. Freedman was a member of the Great Pyrenees Club of America.

Survivors include her husband, David H. Freedman, of Bluemont, whom she married in 1941; two daughters, Evelyn B. Bruneau of Braddock Heights and Wendy Lynn Blumberg of Plano, Tex.; a brother, Earl Copeland of Santa Rosa, Calif.; and six grandchildren.


Air Force Sergeant

Hyacinth J. Schmidt, 83, a retired Air Force master sergeant who later was manager of a cattle ranch in Kansas, died of a heart attack Feb. 12 at the Soldiers' and Airmen's Home in Washington.

Mr. Schmidt, a resident of Washington since 1985, was born in Catharine, Kan. He enlisted in Army Air Forces in 1942, and during World War II he served in Europe. He transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947.

A member of the Air Force security police, Mr. Schmidt was a veteran of the Korean War, and he also served in Saudi Arabia and Brazil. While stationed in Alaska, he ran a wildlife conservation program.

He retired from the service in 1962 and returned to Kansas, where he managed a cattle ranch for several years.

Mr. Schmidt's military decorations included the Bronze Star and the Air Force Commendation Medal.

Survivors include three sisters, Pauline Patterson of Seligman, Mo., Stella Rausch of Sharon, Kan., and Flora Ricke of Wright, Kan.


GAO Attorney

Marie Scanlon Refert, 80, a retired attorney at the General Accounting Office and a past president of the Sodality at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Washington, died of cancer Feb. 15 at the Manor Care nursing home in Largo.

Mrs. Refert was born in Washington, and she lived in the city until moving to the nursing home. She graduated from Notre Dame Academy and Catholic University, and she received her law degree from Columbus Law School.

She began her government career in the mid-1930s, and she retired in 1971.

Mrs. Refert was a member of the D.C. Bar, the Federal Bar Association and the Women's Bar of the District of Columbia. She also was a member of the Society for the Protection of Every Animal and Child.

Her husband, Gerard A. Refert, died in 1984.

Survivors include a sister, June M. Ramsey of Washington, and a brother, Thomas J. Scanlon of Fort Washington.



Richard H. Mills, 87, a retired climatologist who worked for the Air Force and the Defense Intelligence Agency, died Feb. 15 at King's Daughters Medical Center in Ashland, Ky. He had a stroke.

Mr. Mills, who lived in Arlington until moving to Ashland in July, was born in Milwaukee. He attended Marquette University.

He moved to the Washington area in 1941 and went to work for the old Weather Bureau. He transferred to the Department of the Air Force in 1948 and remained there until 1963, when he joined the Defense Intelligence Agency. He retired about 1970.

Mr. Mills was a member of the American Meteorological Society and Westover Baptist Church in Arlington.

His wife, Frances M. Mills, died in 1981.

Survivors include a daughter, Ellen Mills Stevens of Ashland, and three grandchildren.


Freelance Writer

Samuel Fordyce Stanley, 85, a freelance magazine writer who specialized in the history of the American West, died of cancer Feb. 15 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Stanley was born in St. Louis. He attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., and Harvard University. He received a private pilot's license at the age of 22, and during World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in North Africa and Europe.

As a freelance writer, he lived in New York City and Middletown, N.Y., before moving to the Washington area in 1967.

Mr. Stanley was a member of the Chevy Chase Club and the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife, Emmy Stanley, of Chevy Chase, whom he married in 1953; a stepson, Frederick English of New York City; and a brother, Joseph Stanley of Washington.


Original Greenbelt Resident

Catherine W. Madden, 78, one of the original residents of Greenbelt when it was established as a planned community in 1937, died of pneumonia Feb. 16 at Doctors Hospital in Lanham. She had emphysema.

Mrs. Madden was born in Kinderhook, N.Y. She moved to the Washington area in 1933, and she worked in the White House mail room until 1937.

She was a member of the Ladies of Charity at St. Hugh's Catholic Church in Greenbelt.

Her husband, Anthony M. Madden, died in 1987.

Survivors include six children, Mary M. Doman of Dallas, Kathleen J. Dunleavy of Ridgewood, N.J., Therese M. Stringfellow and Patricia A. Molden, both of Greenbelt, Del. Martin G. Madden (R-Howard and Prince George's Counties) of Clarksville and Michael G. Madden of Hyattsville; 15 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.