Harry Hitchins Schwartz, 76, a retired Foreign Service officer and former deputy assistant secretary of defense, died of pneumonia Feb. 15 at Easton Memorial Hospital. He lived in Easton.

A former Washington and Falls Church resident, he had maintained homes in the Washington area from 1945 to 1970.

Mr. Schwartz joined the State Department's Foreign Service in 1940. He was stationed in Vancouver, and in Tangier during World War II. He was awarded the Medal of Freedom for his work in assisting the Allied landings in North Africa.

Between the mid-1950s and mid-1960s, his posts included those of assistant chief of State's African affairs division, executive secretary of the department's Policy Planning Staff and assistant to the National Security Planning Board. He was first secretary of the U.S. Embassy in Bonn from 1956 to 1960, and political affairs counselor in Tehran from 1960 to 1964.

He then was a consultant at the Defense Department and special assistant at the White House before serving from 1967 to 1969 as a deputy assistant secretary of defense, specializing in Near Eastern affairs in the Pentagon's international security affairs office. From 1969 until retiring in 1971, he was a special assistant to the secretary of state, working on international narcotics traffic.

Mr. Schwartz was a native of Columbus, Ohio. He was a 1937 graduate of Princeton University and had attended the National War College.

In addition to the Medal of Freedom, his government awards had included the Defense Department's Meritorious Civilian Service Medal and a special agency award from the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

He was a member of the Metropolitan Club in Washington and the Chesapeake Bay Yacht Club in Easton.

Survivors include his wife, the former Maria Gonzalez Diez, of Easton; four sons, James, of Seattle, Peter, of Washington, Christopher, of Langlois, Ore., and Philip, of Los Angeles; a daughter, Cristina Schwartz of Madrid; and 12 grandchildren.


Sales Manager, Holocaust Survivor

Arie Torner, 72, a retired sales manager who lectured at Northern Virginia high schools about his experiences in Nazi concentration camps, died of a heart attack Feb. 14 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Torner, a native of Amsterdam who moved here 30 years ago, retired in 1973 as sales manager at the Lewis and Thomas Saltz clothing store in downtown Washington.

Ill health, mostly stemming from his time at the Auschwitz concentration camp, forced his retirement, friends said. But he continued to speak to student groups about his experiences in the Dutch resistance movement and at the hands of Nazi medical experimenters.

He also was a prosecution witness at the trials of accused German war criminals as late as the 1970s, and also had testified at war crimes trials after World War II.

In one of his talks, to students of Jeb Stuart High School in Falls Church five years ago, and in his personal papers, Mr. Torner gave this account:

After his entire family was killed in the German invasion of 1940, he joined the underground. Captured in 1942, he was shipped to a railroad construction project and later worked in a coal mine. In 1943, at Auschwitz, he and other men under the age of 25 were assembed for medical experimentation, including injections of diseased blood and other infections, under the direction of Dr. Josef Mengele.

Mr. Torner said that among his group, 964 men died. He was one of 16 who lived. At one point, he told the Jeb Stuart students, "I woke up from a long coma, and a German doctor was standing above me. He said, 'This man is strong. This one does not want to die.' "

But he was to suffer further experimentation, including surgery without anesthesia and the injection of chemicals into his eyes and skin. He later was reassigned to the coal mines.

In January 1945, Auschwitz was evacuated and the prisoners forced on a long march that killed many of them. In May, Mr. Torner was liberated by Soviet soldiers, in the German town of Zittau. He spent nine months under medical treatment.

For the next decade, he operated a clothing factory in Amsterdam. In 1956, Mr. Torner immigrated to the United States. He settled in Nashville, worked in a clothing store and opened an insurance agency before moving here.

Mr. Torner was active in Temple Beth El congregation of Alexandria, where he was on the board of directors, served as head usher and was honorary vice president of the Temple brotherhood.

He leaves no immediate survivors.


Air Force Officer

Charles Alton Hardin, 73, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who was active in church and fraternal groups, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 16 at Walter Reed Army Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Col. Hardin, who had lived here since 1965, was a native of Marietta, Ga. He attended the Georgia Institute of Technology.

He served in what became the Army Air Forces from 1940 to 1945. He was a logistics officer in this country during World War II. Recalled to active duty in 1950, he was an intelligence and logistics officer, serving in this country and Germany, before retiring in 1965.

He did data processing work with the Control Data Corp. in Bethesda from 1965 to 1970, and then with the Coast Guard until retiring in 1980.

Col. Hardin had been a member of Westover Baptist Church in Arlington from 1941 to 1980. Since then, he had belonged to Fairfax Circle Baptist Church. He had taught Sunday school and served on the deacon boards of both churches. He was a past president of the Northwest Arlington Lions Club and was on its board at the time of his death. He also had been a member of the Fairfax Hospital Amputee Support Group.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, the former Hazel Carter, of Fairfax; three sons, Charles Jr., of Huntersville, N.C., Richard C., of Arlington, and Edward T., of Fairfax; three brothers, Roy Jr., of Marietta, and James R. and William D., both of Powder Springs, Ga.; a sister, Mary Jo Mills of Marietta; and eight grandchildren.


Vocational Teacher

Howard Percell Banks Sr., 84, a retired vocational education teacher in the District schools, died of cancer Feb. 17 at Washington Hospital Center. He had lived Washington since 1929.

A teacher for 46 years, Mr. Banks retired in 1973 from Phelps Vocational High School, where he taught masonry and brick shop. Earlier in his career, he taught for two years at Randall Junior High School.

Mr. Banks was born in Gloucester County, Va. He was a graduate of Howard University and taught at the Cheltenham School for Boys in Prince George's County from 1939 to 1941. He was a health and building inspector for the District from 1941 to 1942.

He and his wife, Buena Vista Banks, operated three Toddlers Socialized Nursery schools in the District from 1943 to 1969.

Mr. Banks was a member of the board of the Association for Retarded Citizens of the District, worked with the Friends of Forest Haven and belonged to Phi Beta Sigma social fraternity.

He was a trustee and teacher at Asbury United Methodist Church of Washington and was a board member of the church group that was instrumental in developing the Asbury Dwellings, a senior citizens complex.

In addition to his wife of 54 years, his survivors include three daughters, DeAnna Banks Beane, Sharon P. Banks and Patrice Banks, and a son, Howard P. Banks Jr., all of Washington; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


D.C. Native

Linda M. Marmelstein, 55, a Washington native and 1952 Coolidge High School graduate who was a New York television producer, died of cancer Feb. 18 at a hospice in New York City. She lived in New York City.

Miss Marmelstein left the Washington area after graduating from George Washington University in the mid-1950s. She later received a master's degree in business administration from Harvard University.

She worked in Boston and New York before becoming a television producer with Daniel Wilson Productions in 1969. She won an Emmy for "The Late Great Me: Story of a Teenage Alcoholic." She also produced several TV mini-series, including "Hemingway," and such made-for-television movies as "The Great Wallendas."

She also had produced the documentary series "Wild World of Adventure," several nature specials, specials for such personalities as Barbara Walters, and several programs and series for youngsters, including "The Bloodhound Gang" segment of the Children Television Workshop's "3-2-1 Contact" series. Several of those shows and series also won Emmy awards.

Survivors include her mother, Ann C. Marmelstein of Silver Spring; and a brother, Charles M. Marmelstein of Potomac.