Arthur H. Bowis, 87, founder of the Chevy Chase Chevrolet dealership in Bethesda, died Feb. 10 at a hospital in Sarasota, Fla., after a heart attack. He moved to Sarasota from Potomac in 1977.

Mr. Bowis lived in the Washington area for 46 years. He founded Chevy Chase Chevrolet in 1939 and was its president until 1970.

He was born in London, moved to Germany after World War I and came to this country in 1923. He settled first in New York City, where he was a mechanic and operated a garage and metalwork shop. He worked for the Hertz Co., then part of General Motors Corp., for four years in Florida, Georgia and Quebec before moving here in 1931.

Mr. Bowis worked as service manager for the Barry Pate Chevrolet dealership in Washington and was general manager of Addison Chevrolet before he established his own business. He later bought and developed commerical real estate property in Frederick and Montgomery counties.

Mr. Bowis served on the boards of directors of the Bank of Bethesda and the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Chamber of Commerce. He belonged to the Automotive Trade Association of the Capital Area, the Washington Chevrolet Dealers Association, Metropolitan Methodist Church in Washington, Congressional and Kenwood country clubs and the Chesapeake Yacht Club.

His marriage to Ebie Dick Bowis ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 29 years, Charlotte Heitmueller Bowis of Sarasota; two sons from his first marriage, Frederick H. Bowis of Bethesda and Henry A. Bowis of Washington; a stepdaughter, Florence Kenworthy Leverone of Sarasota; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Recreation Aide

Shirlee R. Hutmire, 59, a recreation aide with the Takoma Park Recreation Department in the 1960s who was active in horticultural groups, died of cancer Feb. 15 at Washington Adventist Hospital. She lived in Takoma Park.

She also had done volunteer work with children and taught quilting through the Takoma Park recreation organizations.

Mrs. Hutmire also had belonged to numerous horticultural organizations, including the American Horticultural Society, the Alpine Garden Society, and the American Iris, Hosta, and Peony societies.

She was a charter member of the Takoma Park Azalea Committee and had participated in plantings in the city's parks in the 1960s. She also had exhibited a variety of flowers at the annual spring shows of the Takoma Horticultural Club over the years. She was a club expert on azalea classification.

Mrs. Hutmire, a native of Massachusetts, came here in the 1940s and received a botany degree from George Washington University.

Survivors include her husband of 38 years, Edward W. Hutmire of Takoma Park; a son, Christopher, of Silver Spring; two daughters, Holly Foley of Takoma Park, and Christena Turner of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.


Washington Dentist

Darien B. Daughtrey, 87, a dentist in Washington for nearly 50 years, died of respiratory failure Feb. 17 at the Pleasant Living Convalescent Center in Edgewater, Md.

A resident of Washington from the 1930s until his retirement in 1979, Dr. Daughtrey had lived in Edgewater for 20 years.

He was a native of Newport News, Va. He attended the College of William and Mary, and graduated from George Washington University and the Georgetown University dental school. He was an Army dentist during World War II.

Over the years, he had studied hypnosis at several clinics and used that relaxation technique in his practice. He belonged to the American Dental Association and the D.C. Dental Society.

His marriage to the former Joan Hawkins ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Eva Daughtrey of Edgewater; two stepchildren, Barbara Yaros of Mount Airy, Md., and James Sanner of Frederick, Md., nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


White House Volunteer

Twila "Betty" Martin, 78, a volunteer in the White House greetings office since the first Nixon administration, died Feb. 15 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Martin worked at the White House one day a week, sending cards and letters on behalf of the president. She also served on the women's board of the Presbyterian Home of Washington and belonged to the Mid-Montgomery Rebublican Women and the Southern Railway Women's Association.

A native of Bells Landing, Pa., Mrs. Martin moved to his area in 1930. She was a member of the Church of the Atonement in Silver Spring.

Survivors include her husband of 59 years, John S. Martin of Silver Spring; two daughters, Beverly A. Lamberton of Richmond and Barbara Hailey of Rockville; a son, John S. Martin Jr. of Frederick, Md.; a sister, Ruth A. Terry of Batavia, N.Y.; and four grandchildren.


Association Executive and Navy Captain

Robert T. Chancler, 57, a vice president of Smith Bucklin & Associates Inc. in Washington who was a retired Navy captain, died of cancer Feb. 18 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Vienna.

Capt. Chancler, a 20-year Navy veteran, joined Smith Bucklin, an association management concern in 1979 as an executive. He had been a vice president since 1987.

He was a native of Philadelphia and an accounting graduate of LaSalle University. He received a master's degree in logistics management from the Air Force Institute of Technology in Ohio, and a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University.

He joined the Navy in the late 1950s and retired from active duty in 1979. He spent the last four of those years in the Naval Supply Systems Command, where he became director of its reserve division. His decorations included the Meritorious Service Medal and the Navy Commendation Medal.

Capt. Chancler had served on the board of the Northern Virginia chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for the last three years. He was a member of St. Mark's Catholic Church in Vienna and the Westwood Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Jane Anderson Chancler of Vienna; three sons, Robert Jr., of Reston, Thomas M., of Santa Barbara, Calif., and Michael A., of Vienna; and a sister, Mary Margaret Wood, and two brothers, Thomas J. and Alan F. Chancler, all of Philadelphia.


Longtime Area Resident

Blanche B. Dorr, 79, an area resident since 1931 who worked for the Government Printing Office in the early 1930s, died Feb. 16 at the Greater Laurel Beltsville Hospital. She had cancer.

Mrs. Dorr, who lived in Beltsville, was a native of Manchester, N.H. She attended business school there before moving here and becoming an apprentice printer at the GPO, where she worked from about 1931 to 1934. She later was a substitute school teacher in Prince George's County.

Survivors include her husband, Lawrence G. Dorr Sr. of Beltsville; two sons, Robert F., of Oakton, and Lawrence Jr., of San Francisco; a brother, Dr. Ernest G. Boisvert, and two sisters, Valentine Cicala and Ida Robertine Boisvert, all of Manchester.


Office Manager

Elizabeth D. Walker, 49, bookkeeper and office manager of Il Porto restaurant in Alexandria from 1977 to 1980, and again since 1982, died of cancer Feb. 16 at her home in Lorton.

Mrs. Walker, a native of Baltimore, was a 1963 graduate of Middlebury College. She accompanied her husband, Army Col. John S. Walker, on assignments in this country, including Alaska, and in Germany. They were assigned to Washington from 1977 to 1980 and again in 1982.

In addition to her husband, of Lorton, she is survived by a son, John S. Walker IV of Albany, N.Y., and a daughter, Ann L. Walker of Alexandria.