David Dennis Reidy, 63, a retired alcoholism rehabilitation counselor who had worked for the federal and Montgomery County governments, and who was active as a volunteer athletic coach of youth groups, died Feb. 17 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Reidy, a member of Alcoholics Anonymous for the last 25 years, began his career as a volunteer counselor in 1966. After three years as a volunteer, he worked for the Montgomery County government from 1969 to 1971.

He then helped to establish alcoholism rehabilitation programs at Manor Care nursing home in Silver Spring, Seneca rehabilitation center in Poolesville, and Melwood Farm rehabilitation center in Olney. He also had worked with private groups to help start halfway houses in Montgomery County for recovering alcoholics in the late 1960s.

In 1972, Mr. Reidy joined the federal government, where he worked for the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and the National Institutes of Health. He retired in 1990 as a regional alcoholism consultant for the Department of Health and Human Services.

He had coached area youth basketball, baseball and football teams for the last 45 years. He had coached with the Boys Clubs and the Catholic Youth Organization. For the past year, he had been a junior varsity basketball coach at Holton Arms Academy in Montgomery County.

Mr. Reidy, who lived in Bethesda, was a native of Washington. He was a graduate of Devitt Prep and served in the Navy after World War II. He worked for a laundry and as a press operator with the Veterans Administration before joining the Washington Evening Star, where he became a photoengraver, about 1950. He retired from the Star in 1969.

Survivors include his wife, Betty, of Rockville; a son, Dennis M., of Germantown; a daughter, Betty Jo Stahr of Richmond; a brother, John C. Jr., of Silver Spring; a sister, Mary E. Reidy of Laurel; and four grandchildren.


Army Lt. Colonel

Thomas M.B. Hicks III, 73, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who had been an infantry, staff and public information officer, died Feb. 17 at a hospital in Camp Hill, Pa. He had Parkinson's disease.

Col. Hicks joined the Army in 1940 and served in the 81st "Wildcat" Infantry Division in the Pacific during World War II. He was an operations staff officer in Korea during the war there.

Postwar assignments included a tour in the early 1950s as executive officer of the Armed Forces Radio and Television Service in New York City. His last assignment was in the Panama Canal Zone, where he was a public information officer. He retired from active duty in 1960.

Col. Hicks then became a civilian Army public information officer with the Corps of Engineers. He worked in Chicago before transferring here in 1968. He retired later that year.

A former Arlington and Silver Spring resident, he moved to Pennsylvania in 1989. During his years of retirement, he had done volunteer work with senior citizens groups and with food kitchens for the needy.

He had been a member of St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Arlington and Quince Orchard Baptist Church in Gaithersburg.

Col. Hicks was born in Anne Arundel County and grew up in Pennsylvania. He was a journalism graduate of the University of Nebraska.

Survivors include his wife, Jane W., of Derwood, Md.; a son, Thomas IV, of Mechanicsburg, Pa.; three daughters, Mary E. Sharp of Columbia, Barbara Wilke of Glendale Heights, Ill., and Lois E. Hollingsworth of Tallahassee, Fla.; a brother, Warren F., of Hudson-Bayonet Point, Fla.; two sisters, Barbara Harding of Herndon and Persis Mitchell of Derry, N.H.; and four grandchildren.


Health Management Consultant

Alfred J. Davidson, 75, retired deputy director for the office of health at the Agency for International Development, died of cancer Feb. 19 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Annandale.

Mr. Davidson retired in 1973 after nearly 30 years with the federal government, largely as a health management specialist. As deputy director of the health office at AID for 14 years, he helped to establish malaria control programs for Third World countries.

He was born in Youngstown, Ohio, and grew up in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He received a bachelor's degree in public administration from Columbia University and did graduate work at American and Georgetown universities.

Mr. Davidson came to Washington in 1940 to work for the War Production Board. From 1945 to 1959 he was a management consultant and analyst with the Commerce Department, the State Department and the U.S. Information Agency. During that period he also served with AID for two years in Brazil as an adviser to the Brazilian ministries of finance and health.

After he retired, he was an independent consultant in international health management. Since 1978, he had been a volunteer docent at the National Archives.

He was a member of Olam Pikvah synagogue in Fairfax, B'nai B'rith and the American Public Health Association.

Survivors include his wife, Irene Davidson of Annandale; a son, Steven Davidson of Washington; a daughter, Carol Rao of Chapel Hill, N.C.; two brothers, Martin Davidson of Westport, Conn., and Phillip Davidson of New York City; a sister, Betty Braun of Pittsfield, Mass., and Helen Siegel of Birmingham, Mich.


Church Member

Blanche Hampton Nichols, 101, a member of Dranesville United Methodist Church in Herndon, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 16 at the Crystal City nursing home in Arlington.

Mrs. Nichols, who was a native of Loudoun County, Va., lived in Herndon before entering the nursing home 10 years ago.

Her husband, Thomas S. Nichols, died in 1960. Her survivors include a daughter, Blanche L. DeLong of Arlington.


Western Union Executive

George W. Shaffer, 80, a retired Western Union executive, died Feb. 18 of cardiac arrest at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Kensington.

He retired as assistant vice president for government relations in 1974, after 45 years with Western Union. He began with the company in Philadelphia and moved here in 1941.

Mr. Shaffer, a native of Wilkinsburg, Pa., attended the Carnegie Institute of Technology and had a bachelor's degree from the University of Pennsylvania.

In addition to his Western Union career, he had been president since 1961 of his own altar wine distributorship, George W. Shaffer Associates. The company supplied Christian Brothers wine to churches in the mid-Atlantic region.

He served as a lector at the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrement in Washington and at Christ the King Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

He was past president of the Holy Name Society and the Nocturnal Adoration Society at Blessed Sacrement, was an adult leader in the Catholic Youth Organization and belonged to the Loyola Retreat Group.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Elizabeth K. Shaffer of Kensington; three daughters, Mary E. Gnatek of Washington, Suzanne T. Shaffer of Kensington and Anne S. Harrell of Rocky Mount, N.C.; a son, Robert J. Shaffer of Bethesda; and eight grandchildren.


Tow Truck Dispatcher

Lloyd A. Allen Jr., 66, a retired dispatcher for the American Towing Co. who also had been a groundskeeper for the Pinecrest Golf Course in Fairfax and an agent for the Home Beneficial Life Insurance Co., died Feb. 18 at Fairfax Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Allen lived in Fairfax before moving to Sumerduck, Va., in 1989. He was born in Martinsburg, W.Va., and grew up in Harrisonburg, Va. During World War II, he served in the Army in North Africa and Europe, and was awarded the Bronze Star.

He settled in the Washington area after the war and worked for Home Beneficial from the 1950s until 1977. He worked at the golf course from 1977 to 1985 and at the towing company until 1989.

Mr. Allen was a member of the American Legion and the National Rifle Association.

His marriage to Mary Elizabeth Allen ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Louise Allen of Sumerduck; three children from his first marriage, Sandra J. Carter of Leesburg, Wayne L. Allen of Berryville, Va., and Deborah A. Stamper of Warrenton, Va.; two children from his second marriage, Patricia D. O'Meara of Sumerduck and Nena Louise Ray of Centreville,; a stepson, Gary L. Norman of Fairfax; his mother, Pearl N. Helbert of Fairfax; a brother, Charles H. Allen of Harrisonburg; 13 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Apartment Receptionist

Lillian M. Feigenbaum, 81, a retired receptionist at the Executive South apartment building in Arlington, died of cancer Feb. 18 at the Connecticut Hospice in Brandford, Conn. Miss Feigenbaum, who lived in Arlington for 35 years, moved to New Haven last summer.

She was a receptionist for the Charles E. Smith Cos. at the Executive complex from 1973 until 1990. From 1956 to 1973, she was a bookkeeper at the Fillmore Restaurant in Arlington.

Miss Feigenbaum was a native of Losice, Poland, a suburb of Warsaw. She came to this country in 1913 and settled in New York. She lived in Brooklyn before moving here.

She was active in the National Organization for Women and several peace organizations.

Survivors include three brothers, Sol Feigenbaum of New Haven, Abraham Feigenbaum of Hopatcong, N.J., and George Feigenbaum of Pompano Beach, Fla.


Fashion Artist

Gloria Mildred Mahaney, 64, a fashion artist and designer in the 1940s, died of complications from diabetes and heart disease Feb. 17 at her home in Annandale.

Mrs. Mahaney was born in Chicago and moved to this area at the age of 7. She attended the Academy of the Sacred Heart in Washington.

Mrs. Mahaney was a fashion artist at the Washington Times-Herald and a designer at the Department of Defense in the 1940s. Blindness caused by diabetes ended her career 30 years ago.

Survivors include her husband, Francis X. Mahaney, and two children, Francis X. Mahaney Jr. and Mary C. Mahaney, all of Annandale; and a brother, Warren Hoffman of Alexandria.