Charles Eugene Little, 72, who spent 30 years in the Navy before retiring in 1973, died of cancer May 30 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He lived in Fairfax.

Capt. Little spent 21 years of his career serving aboard surface vessels. His assignments included tours aboard destroyers, cruisers and mine countermeasure ships. His commands had included cruisers, minesweepers and destroyers.

He had commanded an antiaircraft warfare destroyer, the Dyess, in Cuban waters during the Bay of Pigs invasion and the Cuban Missile Crisis. He had served as executive officer and acting commanding officer of the Saint Paul when that heavy cruiser was the First Fleet's flagship in the Pacific.

Over the years, Capt. Little had served ashore with the Sixth Fleet staff in Naples and here with the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

His last assignment before retiring from active duty was as commanding officer of the guided-missile cruiser Little Rock when it was the Sixth Fleet flagship in the Mediterranean.

Capt. Little, a native of Illinois, was commissioned after graduating from Illinois State University in 1943. During World War II, he served aboard minesweepers in the Pacific.

He was a graduate of the Navy's General Line School and the Armed Forces Staff College and also had studied at the National Defence College of Canada. He received a master's degree in international affairs from George Mason University.

His decorations included the Legion of Merit.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lily B. Boumans, of Fairfax; three sons, Charles Jr., of Cincinnati, Ronald, of Springfield, and Navy Capt. Michael E., who serves at Bethesda Naval Hospital; and three grandchildren.



John Charles Reed, 46, a narrator for the talking books program at the Library of Congress and a Washington area actor and director, died May 29 at the Hospice of Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Reed, who lived in Washington, was born in Cincinnati. He graduated from Ohio University, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He received master's degrees in theater and French from the University of Michigan. He had taught French and drama at both universities and also had acted and directed in plays there.

In 1977, he moved to Washington to work as a research assistant at Education Turnkey, an educational research organization. In the 1980s, he joined the staff at Arena Stage, where he was an assistant to the literary manager.

He began working at the Library of Congress in 1988 and had narrated more than 50 books, which have been made available to blind or otherwise physically disabled people.

As an actor he had appeared in productions of "Late Night," "Titanic" and "The Nature and Purpose of the Universe" at the Source Theatre in Washington. He also had acted at New Playwrights' Theatre and Trinity Theatre, and had directed plays and staged readings at the Source and elsewhere.

Survivors include his companion, Bruce J. Eggers of Washington; his mother, Virginia Reed of Grand Rapids, Mich.; and two brothers, James Reed of Grand Rapids and Thomas Reed of Worthington, Ohio.


Marriott Architect

Philip Retz, 89, an architect who worked for Marriott Corp. for nearly 20 years before retiring in 1972, died May 31 at his home in Washington. He had congestive heart failure.

He came here in the 1940s. After working for the War Production Board, he traveled to Europe following World War II and designed cemeteries for American war dead. He then returned to Washington and worked for what became the Wheihe Partnership architects before joining Marriott in 1953.

Mr. Retz, a former New York architect, was a native of Berlin, Conn. He was a graduate of Harvard University, where he also earned a master's degree in architecture and studied under Walter Gropius.

He had designed special housing for Adm. Richard E. Byrd's polar expeditions. He also had sold watercolors.

Survivors include his wife, Louise, of Washington; three children, Candid Retz of Gaithersburg, and Susan and Nicol Retz, both of Arlington; a brother, Herman, of Omaha; and a grandson.


Arlington Resident

Janis Fugler, 67, an area resident since the late 1930s who lived in Arlington, died of cancer May 31 at Arlington Hospital.

She was a member of the Choraleers, an Arlington singing group of senior citizens that performs at area nursing homes.

Mrs. Fugler, a native of Hot Springs, Ark., was a graduate of Coolidge High School and American University. At American, she had been a member of the Phi Mu social sorority and had been elected homecoming queen.

Survivors include her husband, Bartley A., and a son, Bartley C. Fugler, both of Arlington; and her mother, Marie Housley of Stafford, Va.


Coast Guard Captain

Bernard E. Scalan, 82, a retired Coast Guard captain who had served in the European and Mediterranean theaters during World War II and in Korean waters during the conflict there, died of cardiac arrest May 31 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

During World War II, he served aboard a Navy assault transport that participated in the invasions of North Africa, Sicily and southern France. He also took part in the assault on Salerno, the first successful Allied seaborne invasion of mainland Europe, and the Normandy invasion.

After the war, he held a variety of staff and sea assignments, including command of a weather patrol cutter in New York. His last post, before retiring from active duty in 1965, was as director of the Coast Guard reserve for the Washington area.

Capt. Scalan, who had lived in Alexandria since settling here in 1961, was a native of Edwardsville, Ill. He was a 1935 graduate of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn. In peacetime, he had served in the Atlantic and the Pacific and had served as an icebreaker commander.

His service decorations included the Silver Star and the Bronze Star, with "V" for valor.

His wife, Cecilia, died in 1990, and a son, Paul, died in 1989. Survivors include a son, Bernard Jr., of Alexandria; two daughters, Sarah Ann Richards of Littleton, Colo., and Rosemary Lauth of Washington; and five grandchildren.


Aeronautical Engineer

Robert Sanders, 84, a retired aeronautical engineer and private aircraft pilot, died of cancer May 31 at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Mr. Sanders, who lived in Washington and Annapolis, was born in Washington. He attended Central High School and George Washington University and graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Before World War II, he was an aeronautical engineer with the National Advisory Committee on Aeronautics in Washington, Pan American Grace Airways in Lima, Peru, and the Engineering Research Corp. in Riverdale.

He had served as an aviator in the Navy Reserve before being called to active duty in 1940. During the war, he served at Guadalcanal and as commander of an airfield in the New Hebrides and aboard the aircraft carrier Bon Homme Richard.

After the war, he formed Sanders Aviation with his brother, Richard Sanders, and they produced small private aircraft. From 1950 to 1965, he was a consultant to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Mr. Sanders had served on the boards of the Bank of Commerce and the Equitable Life Insurance Co. in Washington.

He was a member of the Airplane Owners and Pilots Association, the National Aero Club of Washington, the Quiet Birdmen and the Annapolis Yacht Club.

His marriage to Katherine Sanders ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Emily Lindstrom of Washington and Annapolis; two children by his first marriage, Elizabeth Oscanyan of Purcellville. and Charles Sanders of Annapolis; two stepchildren, Dennis Fry and Dayle Beatty, both of Fort Myers, Fla.; his brother, Richard Sanders of Vero Beach, Fla.; and six grandchildren.


Dress Designer

Sada Abe Ide, 92, a retired dress designer, died of cancer May 29 at Crystal City Nursing Center in Arlington. A resident of the Washington area since 1971, she lived in Arlington.

Mrs. Ide, a native of Tokyo, was a postmaster in Kyushu, Japan, before immigrating to North America in the 1920s. She first went to Vancouver, where she studied fashion design, and resettled in the Los Angeles area.

Interned in the Gila River camp in Arizona during World War II, she later became an early recipient of reparations for interned Japanese Americans. She was invited to the White House in 1988 to witness President Reagan's signing of the act formally apologizing to the internees.

A painting of Mrs. Ide by her daughter, Hiro Ide Heylin, titled "Sada Memories: Thoughts on Justice," is part of an exhibition called "A More Perfect Union: Japanese Americans and the United States Constitution" at the National Museum of American History. The painting was unveiled at a ceremony in February paying tribute to first-generation Japanese Americans who were interned.

After World War II, Mrs. Ide worked as a designer and dressmaker in Chicago and New York. She continued that work here until last year and also was a volunteer seamstress for the American Ballet Company here.

Her husband, Tatsuro Ide, died in 1960. Survivors include two children, Hiro Ide Heylin of Arlington and Jun Thomas Ide of New York.


D.C. Police Officer

John H. Stitcher Jr., 48, a retired D.C. police sergeant who had been a security officer with the Australian Embassy here since September, died of septic shock May 28 at Southern Maryland Hospital.

He moved here and joined the D.C. police in 1969. He was a uniformed officer with the second and sixth districts and then was a plainclothes officer in internal affairs and the intelligence division. He retired in 1989.

Mr. Stitcher, who lived in Upper Marlboro, was born in Cumberland, Md. He served in the Army from 1961 to 1969, becoming a staff sergeant. He was stationed part of the time in West Germany.

He was a member of St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church in Upper Marlboro. He had done volunteer work at the church's school.

His first marriage, to Patricia Stitcher, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Regina, and their son, John III, both of Upper Marlboro; a son by his first marriage, Michael, of Herndon; two stepchildren, Christina Haley of Jessup and Lanny Chapman of Forestville; three brothers, Tom, of Salisbury, David, of Jeffersonville, Ind., and Chuck, of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; three sisters, Pauline Nies of Rock Hill, S.C., and Ruth Silberzahn and Pat Deangler, both of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.


Air Force Nurse

Althea M. Krieger, 73, a registered nurse and retired Air Force captain, died of respiratory ailments May 28 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base. A resident of the Washington area since 1964, she lived in Clinton.

Mrs. Krieger served in the Army and Air Force from 1941 to 1951. She was stationed in New Guinea and Australia during World War II. She worked at Cafritz Hospital for about a year after moving here.

Mrs. Krieger was born in Newark. She was a graduate of St. Vincent's Hospital School of Nursing in New York.

Before moving to the Washington area, Mrs. Krieger accompanied her husband, Air Force Lt. Col. Lawrence Krieger, to assignments in this country, France and Germany.

She was a member of the Officers Wives Club at Andrews Air Force Base and St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Clinton and a volunteer fund-raiser for the Easter Seal Society and American Red Cross.

In addition to her husband, of Clinton, survivors include five children, Lawrence Krieger of Laurel, Mary Hosack of Portland, Ore., William and Robert Krieger, both of Springfield, and Matthew Krieger of North Beach, Md.; and seven grandchildren.


Packaging Consultant

Thomas Parker Wharton, 76, a retired packaging consultant who lived in Washington from 1935 to 1965, died May 26 in an Olympia, Wash., nursing home. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Wharton was a graduate of the University of Maryland. He was a civilian engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers, an employee of the Army Packaging Board and head of his own consulting firm before moving to Neenah, Wis. He retired in 1978 from Menasha Corp., a paper company.

A native of Henderson, N.C., Mr. Wharton served in the Army during World War II. He was an elder and deacon of New York Avenue Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Stokes Wharton of Olympia; three children, Dr. Thomas P. Wharton Jr. of North Hampton, N.H.; Dr. Robert S. Wharton of Olympia and John H. Wharton of Palo Alto, Calif.; a sister, Mary Floyd of Tampa; and six grandchildren.


overnment Secretary

Audrey Duncan Allen, 76, a retired government secretary, died May 30 in Front Royal, Va., at the Royal Haven nursing home, where she had spent the last two years. She had Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

She worked for the Naval Sea Systems Command in Crystal City from 1976 until retiring in 1984.

Mrs. Allen, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Norfolk. She attended the College of William and Mary. She lived in Charlotte, N.C., for 20 years before moving here in 1967.

She had been a member of the Old Presbyterian Meeting House in Alexandria. She also belonged to the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Survivors include her husband of 51 years, Fisher Allen of Alexandria; a son, William, of San Diego; a daughter, Betty Davis of Newport News, Va.; a brother, H.C. Duncan of Punta Gorda, Fla.; and two grandchildren.


Patent Lawyer

Patricia Q. Peake, 84, a retired patent lawyer, died of circulatory ailments May 30 at Fair Oaks Hospital.

Mrs. Peake, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Gloucester, N.J. She graduated from Drexel Institute and New York University law school. Before moving to the Washington area in 1949, she did patent law work for Merck & Co. in Rahway, N.J., and American Viscose in Philadelphia.

In the Washington area, she practiced for 20 years with the firm of Toulmin & Toulmin, then established an independent law practice. Much of her work in this period was for Monte-Edison, an Italian pharmaceutical company. She retired in 1987.

Her husband, William Peake, died in 1936. Survivors include a son, William Peake of Chantilly; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Beauty Shop Owner

Marie K. Barden, 84, a retired beautician who did Eleanor Roosevelt's hair at the White House during the early 1940s, died of a stroke May 31 at Holy Cross hospital. A resident of the Washington area since 1925, she lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Barden worked as a beautician and waitress after moving here and was owner of Kirk's Beauty Salon at Connecticut Avenue and R Street NW from 1945 to 1970. She continued as a beautician in salons in the Dupont Circle area until 1990.

She was a native of Danville, Va.

Her husband, Claude Barden, died in 1991. Survivors include three sisters, Mozelle Schuch, Elizabeth Lautenberger and Josephine Aquilla, all of Wheaton.