Henry Chester Bruton, 87, a retired Navy rear admiral who was a highly decorated veteran of two wars, died Aug. 15 at the Bethesda Nursing Home in Chevy Chase. He had cancer.

His World War II decorations included three awards of the Navy Cross, his service's highest award for valor except for the Medal of Honor.

In 1942, Adm. Bruton directed the fitting-out of the submarine Greenling, which he then sailed to the Pacific as its commander. During the next year under his command, the submarine made four wartime patrols, sinking about 75,000 tons of enemy shipping, and earned a Presidential Unit Citation.

While under enemy attack, the Greenling sank a destroyer and severely damaged a tanker and an aircraft carrier.

Adm. Bruton earned Navy Crosses on three of the patrols. The citations for these awards hailed his "extraordinary heroism, superb seamanship, inspiring leadership and outstanding devotion to duty."

In 1943, he was named a submarine division commander. Later in the war, he held staff and training posts.

He again sailed in harm's way during the Korean War. During 1952, he commanded the battleship Wisconsin. In February and March of that year, he conducted shore bombardments in Korea.

After the Korean conflict, his posts included a tour as director of naval communications. From 1958 until retiring from active duty in 1960, he was communications-electronics director of the Joint Staff of the Commander-in-Chief of the European Command.

His other decorations included four awards of the Legion of Merit.

Adm. Bruton, an Alexandria resident who settled here in 1964, was a native of Arkansas. After graduating from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1926, he served aboard battleships and submarines.

In the 1930s, he studied electrical engineering at the Naval Postgraduate School and the University of California at Berkeley, from which he received a master's degree. Before World War II, he had graduated from George Washington University, where he became a member of the Order of the Coif.

After retiring from active duty, he worked for Collins Radio Co. here, then served from 1964 to 1966 as secretary-treasurer of the Armed Forces Relief and Benefit Association. Since 1966, he had been a consultant to the Military Benefit Association.

He was a member of the Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association, the Veteran Wireless Operators Association, the Submarine Veterans of World War II and the U.S. Naval Institute.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lucy Frances Osborne, who moved from Alexandria to Silver Spring several days ago; a son, Robert H., of Washington; a daughter, Sally Harris of Silver Spring; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


ABA Official

Sheldon D. Golub, 54, a retired public relations manager of the American Bankers Association, died Aug. 16 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Golub joined the ABA in 1974, serving as assistant director of public relations before becoming public relations manager in 1983. Two years later, he retired for health reasons.

He moved here in 1966 and spent the next two years as promotion director at WDCA-TV. He then served as a community relations officer with the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and two years as national information coordinator with the National Association of Home Builders before joining the ABA.

Mr. Golub had served on the board of the Whitman-Walker Clinic, where he was active in developing its speakers bureau and AIDS information hot line. He spoke before groups of students and naval personnel about living with AIDS.

He also helped organize "Garden AIDS," a landscape service employing people with AIDS. His hobbies included gardening and growing orchids.

Mr. Golub was a native of Cleveland and an English and journalism graduate of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Before moving here, he had been public relations and promotion director for "The Mike Douglas Show" in Cleveland.

Survivors include his companion, Douglas M. Lawson of Washington; and a brother, Lester S., of New York.


Business Owner

Howard Martin Haines, 57, a Silver Spring business owner and former Washington Post printer and proofreader, died of a heart ailment Aug. 14 at a hotel in Pittsburgh. A Silver Spring resident, he was attending a convention at the time of his death.

Mr. Haines, who was deaf, was the founder and president of Nationwide Flashing Signal Systems Inc. The Silver Spring company is this area's largest supplier of telecommunications devices featuring visual alerting systems. The equipment is sold not only to the deaf and the hard-of-hearing, but also to government agencies and to private businesses dealing with them.

A native of Philadelphia, he moved here in 1958 and worked for The Post until 1984. He and his wife started NFSS in the basement of their home in 1976.

Mr. Haines was a member of the National Association of the Deaf, the Maryland Association of the Deaf and the Metro Washington Association of the Deaf.

Survivors include his wife of 34 years, Elaine Babbitt Haines, and a son, Paul S., both of Silver Spring; and his mother, Marion Dembow Haines of Philadelphia.


NASA Official

Royal G. Bivins Jr., 60, a NASA official who was a singer and pianist, died of lung cancer Aug. 15 at his home in Chevy Chase.

He had worked for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration for about 30 years. At the time of his death, he was national manager of information and network systems of its technology utilization division.

That division works on finding earth-bound commercial uses for space technology advances. Those uses have included everything from clinging plastic sandwich-wrap paper to nonstick frypans.

Mr. Bivins, who was born in Richmond, settled here during World War II. He was a graduate of Anacostia High School. He served in the Army in the 1950s. He was a magna cum laude French literature graduate of Yale University. He was fluent in French and German.

He sang with a variety of area amateur and professional groups, including the Paul Hill Chorale, the Oratorio Society of Washington and the Washington Cathedral Society.

His marriage to the former Kathleen Burns ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Jason, of Washington; a daughter, Kristina Bivins of Boston; and a brother, Luther, of Great Falls.


Courts Clerk

Earl Roger Sullivan, 95, a retired Alexandria courts clerk who was active in social and Masonic organizations, died Aug. 17 at Alexandria Hospital. He had congestive heart failure.

He served as deputy clerk of corporations and courts in Alexandria from 1922 to 1952, then served as clerk until retiring in 1964.

Mr. Sullivan was a native and resident of Alexandria. He was a graduate of Alexandria High School.

He was a member of Washington Street United Methodist Church, the Alexandria Washington Masonic Lodge and the Scottish Rite. He also belonged to the Old Dominion Boat Club, the Alexandria Citizens Band and the Alexandria Sportsmen's Club.

His wife, Eleanor, died in 1981. He leaves no immediate survivors.



Marguerite E. Nadonley, 83, a retired secretary who was a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church in Bethesda, died Aug. 15 at the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Nursing Home after a heart attack. A former Chevy Chase resident, she had lived at the nursing home for about the last two years.

Mrs. Nadonley attended a business school in her native New Orleans before moving here in the early 1930s. She worked for the Adams-Burch kitchen equipment company in Washington in the 1940s and the National Catholic Welfare Conference in the late 1940s and early 1950s. From then, until retiring in the early 1970s, she worked for the Congress of Industrial Organizations and then the AFL-CIO

Her husband, Stanley J. Nadonley Sr., died in 1956. Survivors include a son, Raymond H., of Bethesda; two brothers, Monsignor Alvin O'Reilly and Patrick O'Reilly, and a sister, Leona Monahan, all of New Orleans; eight grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren. A son, Stanley Jr., died in April.