G. Van Standifer, 64, a retired government systems analyst who founded the Midnight Basketball League in Prince George's County and saw it spread across the country, died Sept. 17 at his home in Glenarden. He had heart ailments.

Mr. Standifer was the town manager of Glanarden when he founded the league in 1986 to curb an escalating crime rate and provide young men with something constructive to do on summer nights between the hours of 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. Locally about 210 young people from 17 to 22 years old participate. Supported by government grants and private donations, the league has expanded to 37 cities nationwide.

In 1991, President Bush visited the program at the Glenarden Community Center gymnasium, and Midnight Basketball became the 124th Daily Point of Light in his 1,000 Points of Light program.

"I came here to see this Midnight Basketball myself," the president said at the time. "Here everybody wins. . . . Everyone gets a better shot at life. . . . It's about providing opportunity for young adults to escape drugs and the streets and get on with their lives."

Mr. Standifer was born in Greer, S.C. He served in the Army from 1948 to 1952, then settled in the Washington area. He attended the Cortez Peters Business School here and began a career in the federal government in 1956 with the Federal Highway Administration. In 1977, he transferred to the Federal Aviation Administration, from which he retired in 1986.

In 1985 and 1986, Mr. Standifer also served as Glenarden's town manager, and it was on that job that he came up with the idea of Midnight Basketball. Studying police reports he noticed that crime in Glenarden had increased significantly and that most of the increase came during the summer months. Police logs indicated that most crimes occurred between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. and that they involved a narrow age group, young people from 17 to 22.

From his own experience as a youth, he recalled his frustration over locked gymnasiums at night, and he developed the idea of a night basketball league, complete with uniforms, coaches, referees and fans to lure young adults off the streets and into a place where they could find a constructive outlet for their energies.

"Generally speaking, where there are huge blocks of free time, drug and alcohol abuse go up. The idea here was to use up as much of that free time as possible," Mr. Standifer said.

Almost from the beginning, the program was a success, spreading first to other comunities in the Washington area and then nationwide, to cities such as Chicago, Hartford and Atlanta. Crime rates went down. Mandatory drug education workshops and vocational counseling sessions were added. In Maryland, Mr. Standifer received a Governor's Citation in 1991 for his work with Midnight Basketball. Prince George's County named him "Prince Georgian of the Year" in 1989.

"When I first started, I was just concerned with getting kids off the streets during my watch as town manager," Mr. Standifer recalled. "But somewhere in the years since then, the program has changed me. I don't know where, don't know when, but I started trying to see the world through the eyes of these youths, and I didn't like what I saw."

In 1986, he stepped down as town manager of Glenarden, but he continued as president of the Midnight Basketball League until his death.

Survivors include his wife, Martha Standifer of Glenarden; two sons, Eric Van Standifer of Oakland and Nelson Conrad Standifer of Forestville; and a grandson.


Georgetown Professor

Dr. Dudley P. Jackson, 68, a hematologist and professor of medicine at Georgetown University medical school, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 15 at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. He was stricken while playing tennis in Baltimore.

Dr. Jackson joined Georgetown University as chairman of the department of medicine, a post he held from 1971 to 1982. Since then, he had taught and done research as a full professor of medicine at the medical school. He also served as hematology division chief at Georgetown from 1989 to 1992 and was associate director of the internal medicine training program at Georgetown University Hospital.

He belonged to numerous professonial organizations and was the author of research publications dealing with his work in blood platelets and coagulation. He was the recipient of a Research Career Development Award of the U.S. Public Health Service. Twice while at Georgetown, he was awarded the Kaiser-Permanente Award for Excellence in Clinical Teaching.

Dr. Jackson, who lived in Clarksville, was born in Roanoke. He was a Navy veteran of World War II. He attended Randolph-Macon College and was a 1947 graduate of the Johns Hopkins University medical school. He served his internship and a residency at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He remained at Johns Hopkins medical school, where he did research and was a full professor of medicine, until 1971.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia C., of Clarksville; and a sister, Dr. Elizabeth Coulter of Chapel Hill, N.C.


School Principal

Charlotte Shomo Waesche, 92, a retired Prince George's County elementary school principal and past treasurer of the Maryland State Retired Teachers Association, died Sept. 17 at her home in Mitchellville, Md., after a stroke.

Mrs. Waesche came to Mitchellville and joined the Prince George's schools in 1927. She was principal at Mullikin Consolidated School in Mitchellville, Capitol Heights Elementary School, Lynden Hill Elementary School in Capitol Heights and Bradbury Heights Elementary School. She was principal of Bradbury Heights from 1945 until retiring in 1956.

She then spent about a decade, before retiring a second time, working for the Prince George's Board of Education in Upper Marlboro on education survey questions.

Mrs. Waesche, a native of Harrisonburg, Va., graduated from what is now James Madison University in 1925. She spent the next two years teaching in the Calvert County, Md., schools.

She had been a member of Mount Oak United Methodist Church in Mitchellville since 1930. She had served on the church board, had chaired church building committees and had been a president of the women's society of Christian education.

Her husband, A. Cassell Waesche Jr., whom she married in 1930, died in 1988. Survivors include a brother, Euell Shomo of Harrisonburg.


Freelance Editor

Priscilla Ann Duscha, 67, a former freelance editor in the Washington area who had been active in the parent-teacher association of Chevy Chase Elementary School, died of a heart attack Sept. 14 at a hospital in Hamburg.

A resident of San Francisco since 1990, when she moved there from Chevy Chase, she was vacationing in Germany when she was stricken.

Mrs. Duscha was born in Iowa City, Iowa. She attended MacMurray College in Jacksonville, Ill., and graduated from the University of Minnesota. She lived in the Washington area in the late 1940s and early 1950s and then moved to Illinos. She returned here in 1958.

She was a member of the Edgemoor Club, a tennis club in Bethesda.

Survivors include her husband, Julius Duscha of San Francisco; four children, Fred Duscha of Fremont, Calif., Steve Duscha of Sacramento, Calif., Suzanne Duscha of Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and Sally Duscha of Carlisle, Mass.; a sister, Barbara Scheu of Ypsilanti, Mich.; a brother, William C. McBride of Davidson, N.C., and four grandchildren.


Social Security Official

Charles M. Erisman, 81, retired director of the bureau of hearings and appeals and chairman of the appeals council of the Social Security Administration, died of heart ailments and emphysema Sept. 17 at Anne Arundel Medical Center.

Mr. Erisman, who lived in Shady Side was born in Royalton, Pa. He came to Washington in the early 1930s and began his government career with what then was the Veterans Bureau. He joined Social Security in 1937.

While working for the government, he graduated from Benjamin Franklin University and received a law degree from Southeastern University. During World War II he served in the Coast Guard.

At several points in his career, Mr. Erisman had been on leave from Social Security to work as a management consultant to the Air Force in Germany and with the FBI as a special investigator for the House of Representatives. He retired from Social Security in 1974.

He was a member of the Elks in Deale and the American Legion in Mayo.

His first wife, Edith Murray Kennipp Erisman, died in 1968. Survivors include his wife, Flora Jane Hunter Erisman of Shady Side; two children from his first marriage, Charles M. Erisman Jr. and Nancy E. Wright, both of Harriman, Tenn.; six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.


Helicopter Executive

Warren T. Rockwell, 77, retired vice president for Washington operations for Bell Helicopter Co., died of congestive heart failure Sept. 17 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Rockwell was born in Annapolis and reared in Washington. He graduated from Western High School, attended Stanford University and graduated from Georgetown University.

He worked for Bell Helicopter from 1967 until retiring in 1982. For 16 years before joining Bell Helicopter, Mr. Rockwell had been in charge of Washington operations for Hill Aircraft, which later became Fairchild Hiller. Earlier, he had been vice president in Washington for Aircraft Supply Corp.

Mr. Rockwell had been vice president of the American Helicopter Society and served on the national board of the Army Aviation Association. He was a founding member of the City Tavern Club and a member of the Metropolitan, Chevy Chase and Gibson Island clubs.

Survivors include his wife, Nell Alexander Rockwell of Washington; and two sisters, Betty Lowe of Sea Island, Ga., and Kappy Anderson of Newport Beach, Calif.


HUD Official

Robert Wright Macauley, 79, a retired assistant to the executive assistant commissioner for federal housing at the Department of Housing and Urban Development, died of renal failure Sept. 14 at his home in Falls Church. He had lived in the Washington area off and on since 1940.

Mr. Macauley retired 20 years ago after 18 years with federal housing programs. He had served as assistant director of public information for the Federal Housing Administration and as defense coordinator for the HUD defense council.

A native of Menomonie, Wis., Mr. Macauley attended Lawrence College, the Stout Institute in Menomonie and George Washington University.

He served in the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II. After the war, he worked for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration as a shipping officer and auditor.

Mr. Macauley was director of education for the Structural Clay Products Institute until 1951, when he moved to Philadelphia for three years to be assistant director of the Painting and Decorating Contractors Association.

He was a vestryman at the Church of the Holy Comforter in Vienna and a member of the National Press Club, the Disabled American Veterans and the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Jane Hamilton Macauley of Falls Church; two daughters, Sarah Jane Seegar of Franklin, W.Va., and Martha Adalin Holland of Fort Knox, Ky.; and three grandchildren.



Katherine D. Fawkes, 75, a retired librarian, died Sept. 6 at Collington Episcopal Life Care Community in Mitchellville. She had Alzheimer's disease.

A native of Reading, Pa., Mrs. Fawkes had lived in the Washington area off and on since the 1930s. She attended Western High School and George Washington University and was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Pomona College. She did graduate work in English and history at Radcliffe College and received a master's degree in library science from Catholic University.

Mrs. Fawkes was employed as a librarian for about 15 years. In the 1960s, while living in Arlington, she worked at Williamsburg and Gunston junior high schools.

She was a volunteer at the Aurora Hills Library in Arlington and an election aide. She also was a member of Alpha Delta Pi social sororiety, the Daughters of the American Revolution and Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Alexandria.

Her husband, Navy Rear Adm. Emerson E. Fawkes, died in 1985.

Survivors include three children, Meribe Fawkes of Princeton, N.J., Emerson E. Fawkes Jr. of Brentwood, Tenn., and DeLany Fawkes of Annapolis; a brother, Dr. Walter S. DeLany Jr. of Burlington, N.C.; and seven grandchildren.


Foreign Service Officer

Kenneth Joseph MacCormac, 81, a retired Foreign Service officer with the U.S. Informtaion Agency, died of cancer Sept. 8 at his home in Belvedere, Calif.

A former resident of Washington, Mr. MacCormac was born in Cordova, Alaska. He was reared in San Francisco, and he graduated from the University of San Francisco.

In the 1930s, Mr. MacCormac returned to Alaska, where he was a welfare worker and a Red Cross field representative. In 1943, he went into the Army for World War II service. He was stationed in Germany.

In 1949, Mr. MacCormac moved to Washington and joined the State Department and the Foreign Service. He transferred to the USIA in 1953.

His foreign assignments included Germany, Korea, Tokyo and Thailand, where he was cultural affairs officer from 1959 to 1965 and from 1968 until 1972. He retired from the USIA in 1972, but remained in Bangkok to head the Fulbright Fellowship program in Thailand until the mid-1970s. He had lived in Belvedere since then.

There are no immediate survivors.


Sales Clerk

Ruth I. Toronto, 82, a former sales clerk at the Lord & Taylor store at Seven Corners in Falls Church, died of respiratory failure Sept. 2 at Fairfax Hospital. A resident of the Washington area for 38 years, she lived in McLean.

Mrs. Toronto retired from Lord & Taylor in 1984 after 12 years. In the 1960s, she helped her husband, Nicholas A. Toronto, run the Prince Frederick (Md.) Pharmacy.

Mrs. Toronto was a native of East Conemaugh, Pa.

Her husband died in 1966.

Survivors include three children, Janyce Belevetz of McLean, Nicholas A. Toronto Jr. of Scottsdale, Ariz., and James Toronto of Arlington; a brother, Paul Murphy of Johnstown, Pa.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Fairfax Resident

Nam Thi Bui, 79, a Vietnam native who had lived in the Washington area since coming to this country in 1975, died of a heart ailment Sept. 4 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Fairfax.

Her husband, Kho Van Nguyen, died in 1985. Survivors include a son, Tam Nguyen, and two daughters, Tri Nguyen and Thanh-Tuyen Nguyen, all of Fairfax; and 11 grandchildren.