Charles S. Harris, 99, a retired Army brigadier general, died of pneumonia Feb. 11 at Carriage Hill Nursing Center in Silver Spring.

Gen. Harris, who lived in Washington, was born in Montgomery County, N.C. He graduated from the University of North Carolina in 1917 and was commissioned into the Coast Artillery on graduation.

Before World War II he served in Panama and the Philippines, and at Army posts in Hawaii, Virginia, Illinois and Texas. He attended the Army's Command and General Staff College. During the war he was a staff officer at the Pentagon and later commanded combat antiaircraft artillery units in the Aleutians and on Okinawa.

He accepted the formal surrender of Japanese military forces in Korea in September 1945 and later was military governor of the southern province of Korea, stationed in Pusan. He returned to Washington in 1946 to serve on the War Department general staff.

From 1950 until he retired from the Army in 1953, Gen. Harris was the editor of Antiaircraft Journal. His military decorations included a Bronze Star.

On retiring from the Army, Gen. Harris continued to edit Antiaircraft Journal for one year, then in 1955 and 1956 was associate editor of Army magazine. He was technical editor with RCA Service Co. in Alexandria in 1957, then from 1958 to 1964 was a senior engineer with Frederick Research Corp. in Washington.

Gen. Harris was a former president of the Cathedral Heights-Cleveland Park Citizens Association and the D.C. Federation of Citizens Association. During the 1960s he testified at public hearings against home rule measures for the District of Columbia.

He was a member of the Army and Navy Club.

His wife of 59 years, Margaret Miller Harris, died in 1982.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Newman Harris of Kerrville, Tex.; a daughter by his first marriage, Beverly Harris Simmons of Washington; and a grandson.


U-Va. Professor

Thomas Taylor Hammond, 72, a retired University of Virginia professor who taught Russian and eastern European history as well as Soviet foreign policy for 42 years before retiring in 1991, died Feb. 11 at the University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville after a stroke.

Dr. Hammond, who lived in Charlottesville, was born in Atlanta. He graduated from the University of Mississippi and received a master's degree in economics at the University of North Carolina. He received a second master's degree and a doctorate in Russian studies at Columbia University.

During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

He joined the faculty at the University of Virginia in 1949. Thirty years ago he founded the university's Center for Russian and East European Studies. He was author of six books on the Soviet Union and the spread of Soviet control over other countries, including "Anatomy of Communist Takeovers," which in 1976 won the Phi Beta Kappa Prize as the best work of scholarship by a University of Virginia faculty member.

Dr. Hammond was a former president of the Charlottesville branch of the Virginia Council on Human Relations. In the 1950s and early 1960s he was an outspoken opponent of the state government's policy of massive resistance to racial integration of the public schools.

Since 1978 Dr. Hammond and his wife had spent summers on Nantucket, where he enjoyed surfcasting for bluefish.

His marriage to Alena V. Hammond ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Bigelow Hammond of Charlottesville; a son from his first marriage, T. Kent Hammond of Atlanta; a sister, Penn Hammond Vieau of Houston; a brother, Dr. Denman Hammond of Pasadena, Calif.; two stepchildren, Andrea Fritch Parle of Quail Valley, Calif., and Vernon Craig Fritch of Dorchester, Mass.; and four grandchildren.



Marion E. West, 84, a Prince George's County lawyer who had served as president of the Prince George's County Real Estate Board and the Prince George's County Board of Trade during the 1950s, died Feb. 13 at Washington Hospital Center. He suffered a heart attack after having undergone lung surgery.

Mr. West, a resident of Fort Washington, was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School. He was a D.C. firefighter while attending Washington College of Law. After graduation, he opened a law office in Suitland in the early 1940s. He was practicing in Forestville at the time of his death.

Since 1960, he had been chairman of the Prince George's Board of Property Review. He had served on the Prince George's Board of Ethics and the board of directors of First National Bank of Maryland.

He was a charter member, a founder and former president of the South Gate Lions Club.

Survivors include his wife, Myrtle West of Fort Washington; two sons, Richard West of Temple Hills and Sherman West of Fort Washington; two brothers, James and Kenneth West, both of Florida; seven grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren.


Air Force Colonel

Francis J. Gstrein Sr., 71, a retired Air Force colonel who was shot down over Europe during World War II and later served as deputy comptroller of the Air Force, died of cancer Feb. 11 at Virginia Beach General Hospital in Virginia Beach.

A former resident of Great Falls and Fairfax Station, Col. Grstein was born in Sholola, Pa. He was raised in New York. He graduated from New York University and received a master's degree in business administration from the University of Oklahoma. He also was a graduate of the Air War College.

Col. Gstrein began his military career in the Army Air Corps in World War II. While serving as navigator on a B-17 "Flying Fortress" heavy bomber with the 8th Air Force based in England, he was shot down over German-held territory at the time of the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944. He escaped capture and returned to allied lines safely.

He transferred to the Air Force in 1947, when it became a separate service. In addition to serving at various bases in the United States, he had assignments in Turkey, Germany and Okinawa. He was stationed at Andrews Air Force Base in the Office of the Comptroller when he retired in 1974.

Col. Gstrein's military decorations included the Bronze Star, six awards of the Air Medal and five awards of the Air Force Commendation Medal.

Having established his residence in the Washington area in 1968, Col. Gstrein remained here after leaving the military and became a project engineer with TRW Inc. in McLean. In 1991, he moved to Virginia Beach, but he commuted to the Washington area until retiring from TRW in 1992.

Col. Gstrein's survivors include his wife of 35 years, Glenna Fitzgerald Gstrein of Virginia Beach, and two children, Jennifer G. Weisberg of Vienna and Francis J. Gstrein Jr. of Falls Church.



George Stanley Thomas Sr., 76, a retired pharmacist and a past regional vice president of the American Chess Federation, died of heart ailments Feb. 10 at his home in Bladensburg.

A native of Pittsburgh, Mr. Thomas moved to the Washington area in the early 1940s. He graduated from George Washington University, where he studied pharmacy.

He worked for Peoples Drug stores and then was a salesman for the Parke-Davis pharmaceutical company. From 1951 to 1961, he had his own store, Thomas Pharmacy, in Burtonsville. Later he worked for Albrecht's Pharmacy in College Park and then for Peoples again.

In the early 1970s, Mr. Thomas joined Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly as a staff pharmacist. After his retirement in 1984, he taught computer languages at Prince George's Community College.

Mr. Thomas was a past president of the Washington Chess Divan, a chess club.

His marriages to Lula Barker Beall, Jacqueline Duff and Esther Jane Maki ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children from his first marriage, George Stanley Thomas Jr. of Rockville, Richard Lee Thomas of Herndon and John Rex Thomas of Gaithersburg, and six grandchildren.


Maritime Commission Employee

Charles R. Hart Jr., 75, a retired expediter in the insurance claims section of the U.S. Maritime Commission, died of cancer Feb. 10 at Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury, Md.

Mr. Hart, a resident of Chincoteague, Va., was born in Turtle Creek, Pa. He moved to the Washington area in 1937. His first job with the government was with the Securities and Exchange Commission. During World War II, he served in the Army in the China-Burma-India theater.

After the war, he joined the Maritime Commission as an insurance expediter. He retired in 1972. A resident of Hayttsville at that time, he moved to Chincoteague the following year.

Mr. Hart was a member of the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Dorothy B. Hart of Chincoteague; two sons, Patrick Hart of Gaithersburg and Charles Hart of Laurel; a daughter, Michelle Beavers of Chincoteague; eight grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.