Sophia Fagin McDowell, 77, a retired sociologist who also was an educator and therapist, died Feb. 11 at the Circle Manor nursing home in Kensington. She had Alzheimer's disease.

A resident of the Washington area since 1940, her home was in Bethesda.

Dr. McDowell taught sociology at Howard University from 1961 to 1971 and at Loyola College from 1971 to 1974.

From 1968 to 1980, she was a research sociologist at the Russell Sage Foundation and the Army Research Institute, where she studied the social integration of women and minorities in the military. She published articles in sociologial journals on social attitudes of minorities and women.

Until 1984, Dr. McDowell was a therapist at the D.C. Institute of Mental Hygiene.

She was a native of Chicago and a graduate of the University of Chicago, where she also received master's and doctoral degrees in sociology. In addition, she received a master's degree in social work from the University of Maryland.

The daughter of activists in the industrial workers solidarity movement earlier in the century, Dr. McDowell wrote articles and poems for publications such as the New Leader and Industrial Worker as a young person, and she spoke at large labor rallies.

Dr. McDowell was a member of the White House Conference on Children and Youth and a volunteer therapist at Fort Belvoir. She also belonged to the American Sociological Association, the Society for Applied Anthropology, the National Association of Social Workers, All Souls Unitarian Church in Washington and Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda. She was a founding member of the Bannockburn cooperative community in Bethesda.

Her husband, Arthur J. McDowell, died last month.

Survivors include four children, Dennis L. McDowell of Laytonsville, Laurel Nell McDowell Anderson of Mbabane, Swaziland, Timothy Don McDowell of Pittsboro, N.C., and Michael Morris McDowell of Durham, N.C.; and four grandchildren.



Suzanne Marie Cummings-Poniatowski Quadt, 45, the president of a marketing firm that specializes in advising U.S. companies doing business in Poland, died of cancer Feb. 13 at her home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Quadt, who had family connections to Poland and who spoke Polish, was born in Philadelphia. She moved to the Washington area in 1970. She graduated from George Mason University and received a master's degree in business administration from Marymount University.

She worked for Hazeltine Corp. and Computers Anywhere Inc., both of which are electronics firms, before starting International Advantage Inc. in the early 1980s. She ran the business until her death.

Mrs. Quadt was a member of the boards of directors of the International Trade Association of Northern Virginia and the National Association of Women Business Owners. She was a member of the French-American Chamber of Commerce, the U.S.-Poland Chamber of Commerce, the American Marketing Association and the steering committee of the Women Going International Task Force of the Small Business Administration.

In addition, Mrs. Quadt was a member of the Group Residential Facilities Commission of Fairfax County, which is concerned with group homes for persons with mental and other disabilities, the Health Systems Agency of Northern Virginia, the Fairfax County Federation of Civic Associations, the Fairfax County YWCA and the Fairfax County Democratic Committee.

Survivors include her husband, Robert P. Quadt, and two children, David P. Quadt and Rachel A. Quadt, all of Falls Church; her mother, Mary Anne Cummings of Philadelphia; a sister, Eleanor McGillin of Bala Cynwyd, Pa.; and a brother, George J. Cummings of Upper Darby, Pa.



Ily Bratina, 96, an economist who retired from the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Military Operations in the Department of the Army, died of cardiac arrest Feb. 16 at his home in Leetown, W.Va.

Mr. Bratina was born in what now is Bovec, Slovenia. He studied economics at the University of Ljubljana.

During World War I, he served in the Austro-Hungarian Army. He was taken prisoner by the Russian Army and later served in the Russian Army and then in a separate Czech Legion of the Russian Army. At the end of the war he served in the French Army.

In 1927, he immigrated to the United States and studied economics at New York University. He worked at banks in New York before moving to Washington to serve in the Office of Strategic Services during World War II.

He began working for the Department of the Army after the war and remained there until retiring in 1967.

Since 1951, he had lived in Leetown and commuted to Washington.

He was a volunteer teacher of gymnastics and taught exercise classes at Shepherd College. He served on the Jefferson County Parks and Recreation Board and the Regional Health Planning Commission. He was a former treasurer and vestryman at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Leetown.

He spoke 12 languages and dialects.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, B. Josephine Bratina of Leetown; three children, Ludmila Bratina Burns of Shepherdstown, W.Va., Barbara Vida Bratina of Martinsburg, W.Va., and Ily Christian Bratina of New Britain, Conn.; a brother and sister in Slovenia; and five grandchildren.


Docent and Ambassador's Wife

Joanna Daniels Moore, 68, a museum docent and guide whose husband was ambassador to three countries, died of cancer Feb. 16 at her home in Washington.

From 1947 to 1975, Mrs. Moore accompanied her husband, C. William Moore, to Foreign Service posts in France, Turkey, Syria and Cambodia, where he had various staff assignments in U.S. embassies, and to Mali, Cameroon and Guinea, where he served as U.S. ambassador.

Since 1978, Mrs. Moore had worked at Hillwood Museum in Washington.

She was born in Shanghai, where her father was serving in the Dutch foreign service, and lived largely abroad before settling permanently in Washington in 1975.

Mrs. Moore was a volunteer with the American Red Cross, Kennedy Center and the State Department's hospitality and information service, and was a member of the women's board of Columbia Hospital for Women.

Her husband died in November.

Survivors include three children, Caroline Garber and Letitia Moore, both of Madison, Wis., and Cynthia Moore of Gainesville, Fla.; two sisters, Catherine Horner of Seattle and Hodeleva Inkamp of Arnhem, Netherlands; a brother, Willem Daniels of Washington; and four grandchildren.


Army Colonel

Cleo Samuel "Shorty" Freed, 72, a retired Army colonel and veteran of three wars who later became an aide on Capitol Hill, died of heart ailments Feb. 13 at his home in Arlington.

Col. Freed was born in Frankfort, Kan. He grew up there and in Oregon, and he graduated from Oregon State University.

In 1942, he was commissioned in the Army from the Reserve Officers Training Corps. He served in the armored branch in Europe during World War II. He participated in the capture of the Ludendorff Bridge across the Rhine at Remagen, Germany, one of the great feats of arms of U.S. troops in the war.

Col. Freed also served in the Korean and Vietnam wars. He had peacetime tours of duty in Italy and Germany and at various posts in the United States. He was the Defense Intelligence Agency liaison officer to the White House at the time he retired in 1972.

For the next seven years, Col. Freed was an aide to Rep. Robert H. Mollohan (D-W.Va.).

Col. Freed was a past president of the board of directors of the Belvedere condominium in Arlington.

His military decorations included the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the Army Commendation Medal and the Belgian Croix de Guerre.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Lucille Schildknecht Freed of Arlington; two daughters, Linda S. Freed of Clarkesville, Tenn., and Deborah L. Freed of Fort Worth; a sister, Hilda W. Freed Taylor of Portland, Ore.; and a grandchild.


Engineer and AID Official

Charles S. Stevens, 76, a civil engineer and retired official of the Agency for International Development, died of a spinal cord infection and cardiovascular ailments Feb. 15 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Stevens, who lived in Arlington, was born in Worcester, Mass. He graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute and received a master's degree in civil engineering from the University of Texas.

He was a consulting engineer working on the design and construction of municipal water supplies and sewage systems in the United States and Spain before joining the Foreign Service in 1959 as a specialist in foreign assistance programs.

He served in Iran, Bolivia and Panama, where he was chief engineer of the AID mission. In 1973, he was assigned in Washington as chief of AID engineering projects for Latin America. He retired in 1979.

In retirement, Mr. Stevens was a consulting engineer on construction projects in Central American and Southeast Asia.

He was a fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers and a diplomat of the American Academy of Environmental Engineers.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Phillipa B. Stevens, and a son, Gregory W. Stevens, both of Arlington.



Donald Richard McArdle, 70, the retired controller of Norfolk Southern Corp., died of cancer Feb. 15 at his home in Virginia Beach.

Mr. McArdle was born in Boston. He graduated from Boston College and had attended programs in advanced management at Harvard University.

He worked as a financial officer at businesses in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New Jersey before moving to the Washington area in 1970 as controller of Southern Railway, which subsequently was merged into Norfolk Southern. He retired in 1985.

A former resident of Fairfax, Mr. McArdle moved to Virginia Beach in 1982.

He was a member of the Fairfax Country Club.

His first wife, Pauline McArdle, died in the early 1970s.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara Jean McArdle of Virginia Beach; four children by his first marriage, Richard McArdle of Eden Prairie, Minn., Paul McArdle of Dallas, Jim McArdle of Fairfax and Joe McArdle of Ashburn; five stepchildren, Jim Russell of Tokyo, Bob Russell of Virginia Beach, Richard Russell of Springfield, Catherine Harrop of Manassas and Janet Napoleon of Burtonsville; and 11 grandchildren.


USGS Official

Perry Buckingham Simms, 87, retired assistant executive officer of the United States Geological Survey, died of heart ailments Feb. 14 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Simms, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Barnwell, S.C. He came to Washington in 1924 and attended George Washington University and Strayer Business College.

He retired from the Geological Survey in 1965 after more than 40 years of service. Upon retirement, he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Department of the Interior.

He was a former president of the D.C. chapter of the National Federation of Federal Employees and a vice president of the national federation.

His wife, Constance Elizabeth Hanlein, died in 1957.

Survivors include two children, Carroll Simms Hartman of Asheville, N.C., and Constance Simms Cooper of Cleveland; a sister, Frances Carroll Simms of Chevy Chase; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.


Travel Consultant

Angeline R. Abrahamian, 70, a travel consultant and a past president of the Ladies Auxiliary of the D.C. Dental Society, died of leukemia Feb. 14 at Georgetown University Hospital.

A resident of Washington since 1954, Mrs. Abrahamian was born in New York.

In 1970, she founded the Sun Arrow Travel Agency in Washington. She later moved it to Springfield, where she operated the business with her daughter. She was president of the firm until her death.

Mrs. Abrahamian was a member of Soorp Khatch Armenian Apostolic Church in Chevy Chase and a former secretary and treasurer of its Ladies Guild. She was active in the church's efforts in behalf of Armenian earthquake victims in 1988.

Survivors include her husband of 40 years, Dr. Hratch Abrahamian of Washington; a daughter, Karen Hatchik of Springfield; a brother, Lennie Favaloro of New York; and two grandchildren.



Gertrude M. Bieber, 75, a former volunteer paralegal aide and a member of Hadassah and the Sisterhood of Adas Israel Congregation, died of heart and lung ailments Feb. 15 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Bieber was born in Washington, and she lived in the city until moving to Bethesda last year. She was a graduate of Central High School in Washington.

In the late 1970s, she took a course in paralegal work at George Washington University Law School. For the next few years, she was a volunteer helping elderly people with legal problems at St. Mary's Court and Iona House, both of which are senior citizens residences in Washington.

Survivors include her husband of 52 years, Joseph Bieber of Bethesda; three children, Sander Bieber of Chevy Chase, Dr. Edward Bieber of Potomac and Audrey Bieber Drossner of Baltimore; and nine grandchildren.



Wayne Winstead, 78, a musician who played bass guitar and sang, died of heart ailments Feb. 13 at his home in McHenry, Md.

Mr. Winstead was born in Goldsboro, N.C., and came to the Washington area in the 1930s. Early in his career he played and sang in the Winstead Trio, which traveled extensively. He had radio appearances with Arthur Godfrey.

He served in the Army in 1945.

More recently, Mr. Winstead had played with the Howard Devon orchestra. He retired in 1986.

For the last 14 years he had lived in McHenry in Garrett County.

He was a member of Local 161 of the D.C. Federation of Musicians.

Survivors include his wife, Mardell Winstead of McHenry; two daughters, Joan Brotherton of Columbia and Judy Wilkerson of Silver Spring; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Body Shop Owner

Edward A. Brady, 62, a former co-owner of Olympic Auto Body of Alexandria, died of lung cancer Feb. 1 at his home in Hyattsville.

Mr. Brady was born in St. Clair, Pa.

He moved to the Washington area in 1951.

He owned Olympic Auto Body with his son, Edward, for 10 years before retiring in 1990. Earlier he had been a salesman and driver for Pepperidge Farm Inc.

He was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lilian J. Simsic, whom he married in 1951, of Hyattsville; four children, Patricia Lettich of Laurel, William J. Brady of Greenbelt, Edward Brady of Dunkirk, Md., and Nancy Brennan of Ellicott City; and seven grandchildren.

A daughter, Judy Ann Brady, died in 1959.


Longtime Area Resident

Ira M. Norfolk, 86, a longtime resident of the Washington area, died of pulmonary disease Feb. 15 at the long-term care unit of Loudoun Memorial Hospital in Leesburg.

Mrs. Norfolk was born in Waco, Tex. She attended Baylor University and taught school in Waco in the 1920s.

She moved to the Washington area in 1930 and had lived in Lothian, Washington, Bowie and most recently Leesburg.

Her husband of 60 years, Bernard A. Norfolk, died in 1990.

Survivors include three children, B. Wayne Norfolk of San Antonio and Ira E. Norfolk and Cheryl R. Holland, both of White Plains, Md.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Church Member

Theresa E. Miller, 75, a member of First Baptist Church of Hyattsville, where she did flower arranging for many years, died Feb. 8 at Leland Memorial Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Miller, who lived in Hyattsville, was born in Martinsburg, W.Va. She moved to the Washington area from Martinsburg in the 1940s.

Survivors include her husband, Frederick E. Miller Sr. of Hyattsville; three children, Frederick E. Miller Jr. of Singers Glen, Va., and Joann E. Jobe and Carolyn Palmer Miller, both of Mitchellville; seven grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


Sales Clerk

Mary Ilsley, 84, a retired sales clerk who was a member of the parish of St. Paul's Catholic Church in Washington, died of pneumonia Feb. 15 at Suburban Hospital.

A resident of the Grosvenor Health Care Center in Rockville, Miss Ilsley was born in Fall River, Mass. She moved to Washington in 1925 and lived in the city until moving to the Grosvenor five years ago.

From about 1930 until she retired about 1960, she was a sales clerk at McBride's, a dime store in Washington.

Miss Ilsley leaves no immediate survivors.


Photo Studio Employee

Anita F. Singer, 77, who had worked for the last 40 years for Chase Studios Inc. in Washington, died Feb. 15 at her home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Mrs. Singer was born in New York and moved to the Washington area in 1939.

Her duties at Chase Studios included sales and other matters.

She was a member of Washington Hebrew Congregation.

Her husband, Morris Singer, died in 1973.

Survivors include a son, Dr. Alan E. Singer of Potomac, and a grandchild.


Choir Director

Ronald E. Tymus, 55, the music director of Northeast Presbyterian Church and a former music director at Presbyterian Church of the Redeemer, both in Washington, died of cancer Feb. 15 at Holy Cross Hospital.

A lifelong resident of Washington, Mr. Tymus attended Howard University. He served in the Army from 1963 to 1965 and for part of that time was stationed in what was then West Germany.

In the 1970s, he directed musicals at the University of Maryland. He composed music for the Maryland observance of the nation's bicentennial in 1976. He also taught piano and vocal repertoire at Howard in that period, and in 1978 and 1979, he directed an experimental musical theater laboratory at Howard.

Mr. Tymus was music director at Presbyterian Church of the Redeemer for 18 years before taking the same position at Northeast Presbyterian Church in the late 1980s. He also maintained a studio in which he gave private piano and voice lessons.

Survivors include his father, William Tymus of Washington; four sisters, Dorothea Tolson of Orlando, Fla., Natalie Howard of Washington, Lillian Tymus Fletcher of Avondale and Tina Tymus of New York; and two brothers, George and Donald D. Tymus, both of Washington.